List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you're selling him way short.

He's very explosive.

Not his role to run 16km in a game....

Again, leg speed versus quick thinking/footy smarts - the latter wins every day of the week.

This kid has that in spades...
I think you just haven't read it properly.

I said he has the instincts...ie quick thinking and footy smarts. He doesn't have the same leg speed as others though.

Some of the elite ones have both...motlop doesn't. That's factual.

I think he can be very good, but I think the leg speed limits him.

I wasnt a SoS fan, more so, on his trading work to pick up discounted injury prone players

However his drafting was ok.

I find it interesting how people still talk about him, 5 years after he has gone, but don't assess Austins input.

Under pressure, I don't know, but he should be scrutinized. Age group of the list is skewed to 27 to 30.

The kids coming through are thin, and I agree on your comment on Hollands. There is also lack of developing tall back, and equally if Lemmey doesnt pan out, a tall fwd.

Brad Lloyd should be first guy in the gun. Survived the Teague Review, but both the fitness and list roads lead to him as Head of Footy.

My other comment here is, if Voss is known as a motivator, why have they not got him elite tactical assistance in the box?

Jordan Russell was a weird addition last year.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
What changes came out of the last review, other than the senior coach?

I think you're selling him way short.

He's very explosive.

Not his role to run 16km in a game....

Again, leg speed versus quick thinking/footy smarts - the latter wins every day of the week.

This kid has that in spades...
Disagree. He's strong through the hips but he's not what I'd consider an 'explosive' athlete. Charlie Cameron is explosive, Shai Bolton, Dustin Martin etc... Unfortunately for Mots, leg speed has become invaluable in the modern game, especially for small forwards... And he just doesn't have it.

He's still a good player and a good finisher but I don't think he'll be able to reach to the heights of being a genuine star player and a proper target inside 50.

100%. Exactly the type we need.

Nothing wrong with his body. Think he's just lacking motivation and getting piled on because the Tigers are so poor. Could still be an important contributor for 2-3 years with the right team.
When you mentally check out it is very hard to manufacture all those naturally occurring drivers no matter how good you are at your chosen profession. If you are putting in hard work on top of that without the feelings of success, just exacerbates it.
Nothing will get it back except a new environment, role, challenge, people, depending on field.
Dusty if in the right head space could be massive. Caveat being if it is the monotony of football and football people he is done with, then it is a moot point.
If Carlton has someone good enough to illicit an honest response from him, and he was keen just for a new set of walls to freshen up twilight of career style and have a crack at a flag, it would be huge given our current point in time.

Disagree. He's strong through the hips but he's not what I'd consider an 'explosive' athlete. Charlie Cameron is explosive, Shai Bolton, Dustin Martin etc... Unfortunately for Mots, leg speed has become invaluable in the modern game, especially for small forwards... And he just doesn't have it.
There was a time I would have supported that opinion as he does not “look” exceptionally fast (particularly when defending). Bottom line is, twice, appeared on stats grabs for top 5 speeds in game, once as fastest. Had to alter my perception. Now I just regard him to be considerably quicker with ball in hand than at other times.

Mots has to get consistency of effort across all aspects of play, but he is not lacking in any aspect on the score of talent. If he gives full buy in will become one of the top 5 small forwards in the comp. Up to him and the coaches to reach that level.

There is always room to improve the list, but we have adequate players to complete a highly potent forward combination. Hopefully he is hungry (ravenous) after his lay off. I have no problem if he comes back through the twos, regardless of our recently sub par output in the area. He needs to attain his potential, consistently.

When you mentally check out it is very hard to manufacture all those naturally occurring drivers no matter how good you are at your chosen profession. If you are putting in hard work on top of that without the feelings of success, just exacerbates it.
Nothing will get it back except a new environment, role, challenge, people, depending on field.
Dusty if in the right head space could be massive. Caveat being if it is the monotony of football and football people he is done with, then it is a moot point.
If Carlton has someone good enough to illicit an honest response from him, and he was keen just for a new set of walls to freshen up twilight of career style and have a crack at a flag, it would be huge given our current point in time.
D.Martin purported to be highest paid in the competition(at very least one of) this season due to back loaded contracts. I would not back him to suddenly find some incentive to climb that mountain again. Would not consider playing for under half a million for a season (probably more) with no guarantees.

Very wide berth for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a time I would have supported that opinion as he does not “look” exceptionally fast (particularly when defending). Bottom line is, twice, appeared on stats grabs for top 5 speeds in game, once as fastest. Had to alter my perception. Now I just regard him to be considerably quicker with ball in hand than at other times.

Mots has to get consistency of effort across all aspects of play, but he is not lacking in any aspect on the score of talent. If he gives full buy in will become one of the top 5 small forwards in the comp. Up to him and the coaches to reach that level.

There is always room to improve the list, but we have adequate players to complete a highly potent forward combination. Hopefully he is hungry (ravenous) after his lay off. I have no problem if he comes back through the twos, regardless of our recently sub par output in the area. He needs to attain his potential, consistently.
Lewis Young, Patrick Cripps, Jack Silvagni and Ollie Hollands have also made it on the top 5 speeds in game. Taylor Adams just a few weeks ago apparently ran 20.8km in a game with the same measures. These stats can be misleading, and sometimes flat out incorrect, by their own admission too.

Every Carlton supporter has seen that Motlop lacks speed or at the very least acceleration. His opponents consistently close space on him while in space and he struggles with creating separation inside 50 to be a marking target when checked by a defender.

He has good skills and is strong, but he's miles off the athletic ability of a Cameron or Bolton type. Would be silly to argue otherwise.

It looked like Mots was building a little bit on his size. If he can get to Fog’s territory of laying an average of 5 tackles a game, it’ll do wonders in locking the ball in our forward 50
Would be fantastic for us but that's a massive task. Fog is absolutely elite pressure wise for a small forward.

Lewis Young, Patrick Cripps, Jack Silvagni and Ollie Hollands have also made it on the top 5 speeds in game. Taylor Adams just a few weeks ago apparently ran 20.8km in a game with the same measures. These stats can be misleading, and sometimes flat out incorrect, by their own admission too.

Every Carlton supporter has seen that Motlop lacks speed or at the very least acceleration. His opponents consistently close space on him while in space and he struggles with creating separation inside 50 to be a marking target when checked by a defender.

He has good skills and is strong, but he's miles off the athletic ability of a Cameron or Bolton type. Would be silly to argue otherwise.
Motlop is not 21 till end of this year, let's evaluate him further once he gets some games & back to full fitness.
He is smart enough & has the skills to be a 30-35 a year small forward

Where’s the dusty talk coming from?
Is there actually substance to it?
Someone earlier posed the question if we’d take him and the discussion gained a bit of momentum.

Personally think it might be just fantasy - just can’t see him leave tiggies in the twilight of his footy career and after 3 flags.

At the end of the day we want our smalls to kick goals and apply loads of pressure on Oppo.

Mots loves to snag a goal which is great. He probably could do better with the chasing/tackling.

Fog is great for pressure/tackling but doesn’t hit the scoreboard himself although he does goal assists.

Owies is clever and knows where to be and on a lead and is a good set shot but he’s not much good at chasing down and his kicks are typically <40 m.

Durdin appears to have some burst and does run at and bump into Oppo but ineffective at tackling. Doesn’t kick many goals and doesn’t really know how to crumb. I think he sees himself more of an Elliot type 😂 going for speckies.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back