List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Played his juniors as a small forward and was fairly prolific. Can't say I've followed his career in the AFL closely but players with a bit of flexibility are always good.

Would still prefer a player with more runs on the board in the position though like Hayward to be safe. Can't afford to have a bust recruit at this stage with our cap etc.

If we are going for a small/medium forward for sure, huge risk to recruit someone who will be 28 come start of the season based on playing forward as a junior, a goal average of 0.12 per game doesnt fill you with any confidence.

If the rumour has truth, i wonder if its just for a medium defender role, if that’s the case then its a sound decision, gets a bit of the ball, experienced, durable, free agent. Im not sure if it really fills a need though/

If we are going for a small/medium forward for sure, huge risk to recruit someone who will be 28 come start of the season based on playing forward as a junior, a goal average of 0.12 per game doesnt fill you with any confidence.

If the rumour has truth, i wonder if its just for a medium defender role, if that’s the case then its a sound decision, gets a bit of the ball, experienced, durable, free agent. Im not sure if it really fills a need though/
Hardwick would be absolutely perfect in our backline to play that small/medium lockdown and free up one of Boyd or Saad to run freer and get the ball in their hands more. Freeing up Saad allows him to really use his pace and break lines which we haven't really seen since Vossy took over (not a complaint, he's been sensational in his current role), and Boyd would have to be close to the best kick in the AFL, and definitely the best kick in our side, so getting the ball in his hands more can only be good.

Would firmly fall in the nice to have category though. Small/medium forwards, tall defenders and pace in the midfield should still be top priorities.

Would we chase someone like Jacob Konstanty? Constantly in the goal scorers and tacklers at VFL level, doubt he finds his way into this Sydney side.

I liked him in his draft year but can honestly say I haven’t seen him play a single minute of footy in the 2 years since.
I’m the same as you, really loved him in his draft but have not seen a second of him since being drafted. If he hasn’t regressed then the Sort of player i’d prefer taking then having a pick at the backend of the draft

Would we chase someone like Jacob Konstanty? Constantly in the goal scorers and tacklers at VFL level, doubt he finds his way into this Sydney side.

I liked him in his draft year but can honestly say I haven’t seen him play a single minute of footy in the 2 years since.
Think he is in a bracket with the durable Papley. One of those who won’t be seen for two seasons after drafting then kick 30plus goals in his debut season.

If he has had enough of Sydney would absolutely be a great target.

Killed us in the VFL earlier this season from memory which always helps get yourself on the radar to recruiters.

I play with his brother Ryan at my local club but can't say I've really heard much about a move back to VIC, apparently the Swans rate him highly.

Looks borderline impossible to break into their team at the moment though, might be Haywards replacement if he is to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he is in a bracket with the durable Papley. One of those who won’t be seen for two seasons after drafting then kick 30plus goals in his debut season.

I flagged it a couple weeks back that if Hayward stays at the Swans then we should go for Konstanty.

Sydney’s cap must be tight with Gulden, Heeney, Warner, Blakey, Papley, Rowbottom, Mills, Hayward, Grundy etc.

Such an important off season coming up.

We undoubtedly have the star power in Charlie, Walsh, Cripps, McKay, Weitering with Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett, Saad, McGovern on the next rung down.

However we are carrying far too many injury prone players who have talent but cannot get on the park. So we need a dual strategy of a) replacing the likes of Marchbank, Martin and Cunningham with some senior experienced players who are proven from a durability and consistency perspective. We don't need high end elite talent, but solid role players who can consistently do their job in the team system.

B) we need elite end young talent coming through to replace the likes of Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett in the midfield in the coming years. This is flagged to be an elite midfield draft, I reckon we try and get as high as we can to get a dynamic, speedy mid. We lack burst mids like Chad Warner, Zac Butters and so forth.

So, in an ideal world, I'd like to see the following:
Marchbank - replaced by Battle. Like for like except Battle plays every week.
Martin - replaced by Hardwick - Martin more natural talent but Hardwick plays every week and has more flexibility.
Cunningham - replaced by a young draftee.

Get a pick before Ben Camporeale and there take 3 within the top 30 - 40 (depends on where Lucas lands).

Adding Battle and Hardwick represents a significant upgrade on our best 22. Allows us to reconsider how we use Brodie Kemp, frees up McGovern to play a really aggressive rebounding role to use his kicking and adds a tough, marking option inside 50. Offer both 4 years at just over average salary and bang, we've added depth and cut injury plagued stragglers.

He might be a bit too similar to Durdin who just got two years, but he is definitely more prolific around the goals from memory.

Sheldrick is another from the Swans twos that I would target. Classic Sydney type but he just won’t find a way into that side.

B) we need elite end young talent coming through to replace the likes of Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett in the midfield in the coming years. This is flagged to be an elite midfield draft, I reckon we try and get as high as we can to get a dynamic, speedy mid. We lack burst mids like Chad Warner, Zac Butters and so forth.
Sid Draper and Jagga Smith the first that come to mind.

Draper better contested game but still has the burst of speed and intensity around the ball that we could do with.

Don't get the fascination with Josh Battle..

He's not that tall - 193cm, not big at 93kg, not special athletically.

Doesn't tackle much, but takes quite a few marks....

And even my Saints' mates don't have much good to say about him...

Sid Draper and Jagga Smith the first that come to mind.

Draper better contested game but still has the burst of speed and intensity around the ball that we could do with.

Both will be long gone by the time of our first draft pick so we’d have to do the sort of deal the Bulldogs did to get Riley Sanders to get either of those blokes. 3 firsts to go up from pick 10 to pick 4.

Both will be long gone by the time of our first draft pick so we’d have to do the sort of deal the Bulldogs did to get Riley Sanders to get either of those blokes. 3 firsts to go up from pick 10 to pick 4.
Quite possible, but I think one of them will slide to around the 10-15 mark by years end for various reasons. That's with the whole 'trading ahead of Ben' thing in mind. Think he'll be a 15-20 prospect this year, Lucas around the 30 mark imo.

Don't get the fascination with Josh Battle..

He's not that tall - 193cm, not big at 93kg, not special athletically.

Doesn't tackle much, but takes quite a few marks....

And even my Saints' mates don't have much good to say about him...
He's pretty solid as a defender. Good intercept marker, neat skills, durable and can play a role. At the right price he comfortably replaces Marchbank.

As regards to MSD happy to pick up McMahon but why would go after RCD?
RCD's best is better than McMahon's, but I have no idea where RCD's body is at.

He genuinely looked like he was set to be a Bont clone in 2020, but being on the fringe of a premiership team in 2020/2021 absolutely blew up his ability to get continuity, and an injury in August 2020 sealed it.

Basically wasted 3 years at Richmond, so worth a chance if he's capable of recapturing what he showed end of 2019, but I'd be stunned if we used our first pick on him.

McMahon is currently Jarrod Waite if Waite never saw the inside of a gym. Ceiling is high but he's no third tall... ground level pressure and ability to separate is not good enough.

Currently kicking so many because we're not really targeting anyone else in the 50 most weeks.

If we're not happy with Lemmey's progress, I'd skip McMahon entirely and draft a tall forward. Plenty of mature talent out there, and we're set to shift/trade/discard players in a variety of positions and roles, so we can adapt.

Hardwick is also a total waste of time unless Doc is done and we're permanently shifting Williams out of defence, but his body must be battered at this point and he can't mind the quicker forwards anymore, surely.

Better ways to solve that issue.

It's all a bit confusing.

Martin is with us, but there's another Martin available.

He is likely to join Hardwick, however we're also after Hardwick, but a different Hardwick.

Meanwhile our Martin is also available so will it be a Martin for Martin swap?

Also we got our Martin from the team where Hardwick currently coaches, but not the Hardwick that we're after. So Martin may go to join Hardwick at the GC.

Best case scenario is our Martin stays, is joined by the other Martin who is also joined by Hardwick, but not his old coach.
IMG_8057.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back