Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t seen today’s game but the other video footage I’ve seen of Ben his kicking is a huge red flag for me. Even his handball looks sub-par. Hate to knock the kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed but his understanding of where the ball is going would be right up there in this draft class. Very smart footballer and good athlete.

Not calling him Cripps so don’t laugh but Rick went from an atrocious kick to a competent one, which I believe Ben can do

Agreed but his understanding of where the ball is going would be right up there in this draft class. Very smart footballer and good athlete.

Not calling him Cripps so don’t laugh but Rick went from an atrocious kick to a competent one, which I believe Ben can do

Sounds promising then. I guess a good start is to 'not be where the ball ain't !'

His kicking ain’t “pretty”, but the efficiency stats would be interesting. Seemed to hit plenty of targets. Looks to have the Camporeale sweeping handball developing too.

I haven’t seen today’s game but the other video footage I’ve seen of Ben his kicking is a huge red flag for me. Even his handball looks sub-par. Hate to knock the kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say his handballing is a huge strength. Very clean in tight and consistently makes really good decisions in traffic.

Kicking is Naughton like, not sure how much he could improve it even in an AFL system.

Overall he's a solid prospect but has a low ceiling imo, said at the start of the year he's a bit of a James Rowbottom type, others mentioned Josh Dunkley. Think both comparisons have merit - Hard working, strong, good hands and decent above their head... But you do not want them kicking the ball if there's better options to give it off to.

I'd say his handballing is a huge strength. Very clean in tight and consistently makes really good decisions in traffic.

Kicking is Naughton like, not sure how much he could improve it even in an AFL system.

Overall he's a solid prospect but has a low ceiling imo, said at the start of the year he's a bit of a James Rowbottom type, others mentioned Josh Dunkley. Think both comparisons have merit - Hard working, strong, good hands and decent above their head... But you do not want them kicking the ball if there's better options to give it off to.

I just hope kicking is a key priority for us. I think we need it

It seems like a deep draft so I'm sure there will be some options available. Just don't think either Campo is going to solve that issue for us.

Trading ahead or trading for a mature player/free agent is likely our best option imo.

Talk yesterday was we are going hard for 1-2 mature players

Excited about Campo brothers and still believe we can keep 1st round pick

From today I thought Bradley, McKay, Lombard and Murphy showed the most appeal. Others may have had better stats or got more of the ball but they looked to have some real upside.

Lombard especially is a weapon - Power, speed, skill, aggression. Would be the exact type of player we're looking for if he wasn't GCS Academy.

Doc didn't start off a good kick. It was one of his knocks early.

In saying that what sort of range are the campo twins expected to be bid on
Id be surprised if Ben got bid on before 15. Think he'll be late teens at a stretch or early twenties with the knocks on his disposal. It's a massive flaw in the modern game, but he does everything else very well.

Doc more had issues with his consistency, Ben is much more of a technical flaw. He doesn't drop the ball or swing his leg through correctly. Looks very much like Naughton's action which isn't ideal.

That said, both boys are very hard workers and have great endurance bases which always instills a bit of confidence that they'll do everything they can to improve any issues they currently have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doc didn't start off a good kick. It was one of his knocks early.

In saying that what sort of range are the campo twins expected to be bid on

I’m wondering if Deven Robertson(Brisbane) is a good comparison to Ben.

Deven was a strong clearance contested player with an ordinary kicking action in u18’s. He was expected to be a high draft pick but at the end the first draft day hadn’t been taken in the first round. Brisbane snapped him up quickly on the second day at pick 22.

It would not surprise me if Ben slipped out of the first round like deven as they have some similar qualities.

I’m hoping we can move our second pick up to being late first round and possibly have 2 picks before Ben.

Will be interesting how well he performs in champs against the other best midfielders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t mind GC or any club getting academy/FS talent, my issue is that the system doesn’t make you pay up for those players. Last year it was too easy to get in four first round prospects.
The system is already in place for that, it's just that Gold Coast had concessions which removed all competition for the bids and have significantly expanded their academy zone. Now that's been peeled back to there being a bidding process, but they still have access to top level academy prospects that other clubs do not.

They also maintain a 50 player list.

The system is already in place for that, it's just that Gold Coast had concessions which removed all competition for the bids and have significantly expanded their academy zone. Now that's been peeled back to there being a bidding process, but they still have access to top level academy prospects that other clubs do not.

They also maintain a 50 player list.

The system isn’t good enough. The points weighting is all wrong and you should be required to use a pick within the round that the bid comes, or perhaps a pick within 10-12 spots, to match for a player.

Basically stop the bundling of multiple shit second round picks to make up a top 10 selection. Give these clubs something to think about when they match bids for this talent.

The Campo’s won’t be bid on in the top 10 as they simply won’t be worth such a high pick but if a club did decide to place a bid within the top 10 Carlton would still match and come out winners. That is wrong.

The more I think about it, the more I feel Ben camp is acres 2.0

Strong build good runner, good footy smarts but can’t kick

Deven was a strong clearance contested player with an ordinary kicking action in u18’s. He was expected to be a high draft pick but at the end the first draft day hadn’t been taken in the first round. Brisbane snapped him up quickly on the second day at pick 22.

It would not surprise me if Ben slipped out of the first round like deven as they have some similar qualities.

I’m hoping we can move our second pick up to being late first round and possibly have 2 picks before Ben.

Will be interesting how well he performs in champs against the other best midfielders.

Dev was a much worse kick then Ben. If he's in the clear Ben normally hits his targets or goes to a contest. Action looks a bit awkward which makes it look worse when he misses.

I would say Ben is a below average kick. Definately not in the awful category. Don't think it'll be a problem at AFL level for the role he will play. He should improve.

I think people were hoping for Scott Camporeale because we could really do with that type. These boys are different players but have great qualities in their own right.

I'd be surprised if Ben lasts to the 2nd round personally but it's possible. Reckon his range is 10-25. Lucas 20-Rookie.

Dev was a much worse kick then Ben. If he's in the clear Ben normally hits his targets or goes to a contest. Action looks a bit awkward which makes it look worse when he misses.

I would say Ben is a below average kick. Definately not in the awful category. Don't think it'll be a problem at AFL level for the role he will play. He should improve.

I think people were hoping for Scott Camporeale because we could really do with that type. These boys are different players but have great qualities in their own right.

I'd be surprised if Ben lasts to the 2nd round personally but it's possible. Reckon his range is 10-25. Lucas 20-Rookie.
Who would you consider an 'awful' kick? I'd say Ben would be right up there as it stands, he just goes the safe and easy options most of the time to avoid clangers for his team and get it in the hands of better users which is good awareness.

He'll need to put in a mountain of work to correct it imo. Still fantastic ball winner and defensively strong, I see him as a complimentary player at the next level.

Who would you consider an 'awful' kick? I'd say Ben would be right up there as it stands, he just goes the safe and easy options most of the time to avoid clangers for his team and get it in the hands of better users which is good awareness.

He'll need to put in a mountain of work to correct it imo. Still fantastic ball winner and defensively strong, I see him as a complimentary player at the next level.

Dev Roberton is what I would consider awful. He was really really bad.

Sam Philp from that year was pretty bad too.

Bailey Humphrey had an awful action but looks to have improved at AFL level.

If we are talking 1st round prospects.

We're well and truly in the 'window' so I'd be doing everything we can to trade our 1st this year for a ready made player.

Either that or trade into next year's draft

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why is there this Camporeale infatuation, when there is nothing in the forum descriptions that suggest they will fix our list holes?
Recruit the Camporeale's by all means as they will replace some ageing contested players , endurance players like Acres but who are we focussing on in the draft that will give us speed, punch from stoppage, delivery into F50, crumbing ability.
I just get the sense, sometimes the recruiting department spins wheels and the supporters drink Carlton's bath water.
WE MUST GET PAST THIS SENSE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT BECAUSE WE RECRUITED BOYD AND CINCOTTA.

Nothing changes with list and our Premiership prospects until we recruit
A couple of fast mids with good disposal
A second Key Position Defender
A Genuine Electric Small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back