Training 2024 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Righto, this will be long, somewhat incoherent and jumbled, but these are things I saw today.

-Dow, Caminiti, Hayes doing laps. Wule the others warmed up Caminiti was pushed really hard in his running. Many of the boys were cheering him on too.

Kicking drill 20m apart running at target:
-As vocal as I've heard them. Henry, Windy, Steele, Pou all beautiful kicks as they ran at the marker. What stands out is how conditioned everyone looks. All in ripping shape.

Small mid clearance battle:
-
Clark, Paton, Windy v Steele, Hill, Hotton.
-Steele's tackling looks back to it's best. Strong through the body and was not letting them out. Clark had no chance after being wrapped up.
-Windhager moving beautifully inside, and Hill's evasiveness is great.
-Paton was okay, but being soundly beaten in movement alone by Hill.

4v4 throw in stoppage work:
-Pou being very physical with Seb Ross at every new stoppage, lots of body work.
-Jones is a pest. Putting heaps of pressure on his man, and very mouthy. But he is lively.
-Henry was being utilised really well as a receiver and was using his legs. Hotton good here too.
-Windy was being instructed by Lenny through this drill and seemed to be almost doing a 'run with' role on Steele.
-After this drill finished, Steele pulled the whole crew together and chatted with them and coached them through what they could have done a bit better, heard mentions of their positioning and method. Good to see, as I don't often see him do that.

5v5 defence and attack drill:
-10x10 metre box they had to work the ball through the traffic both ways.
-Wilkie directing as he does.
-Jones has very quick feet in traffic - stops and props and sidesteps really well, and he's strong. I almost forget he's on our list sometimes because he's been so injury plagued, but if he's right he really adds something different.
-Collard stepping nicely and being used a lot in this drill, was good to see.
-Teams switched over and Wood, Bonner, Hastie, and Webster were working really well as a unit. Hastie with a nice intercept that was well received by the coaches.

5v5 half back simulation from sideline throw in:
-
Looked like the focus was to get the ball moving and the switch across goals and out of d50 on the other side.
-McLennan hit a beautiful 45m switch.
-Hastie moves really nicely. As many have said he's still quite slight in the upper body but his use and movement are looking good. He was being directly encouraged by BJ many times in this drill to be more vocal and instructive. Positive to see that already they think he can be directive. Had a nice fend off on Webster.
-Overall the disposal so far was very good. Slightly blustery wind but some really nice kicking. Good to see.

Half field Greens v Reds:
-Adrian Cole is a big unit. Does not look out of place at all. Took a really nice mark over Heath then delivered i50 to Alison who dropped an absolute soda. Did take a nice lead up mark after that though.
-Henry using his wheels, out ran wood and linked up with Byrnes nicely both using their pace to combine. Henry had one really good inside 50, and one absolute worm burning stinker. Was being used a lot though which I liked.
-King in fluro cap but was leading and going for his marks. Dougs was on him and being physical but King was moving a lot which was good, trying to lose him. Sharman would then come over and force Dougs to try manage both of them. It let King off the leash a little as Dougs focus shifted to deal with Sharman. Ball was still being dumped on his head a bit though...
-Ross stopped the play and asked if anyone was actually going to lead at the kicker.
-Owens being used mostly fwd here, was a handful for Battle.
-Arie Schoonerdeleter was doing laps and really working hard. Sweating out last nights sesh.

Goal kicking between drills was actually quite good. Owens, Marshall, and Coops all drilling them. Sharman has such a nice and simple kicking action.

10v10 using the ground width ways with little makeshift goals at either end:
-
Only about 40m wide so forcing the players to utilise a corridor.
-Wilkie dominating. Did miss a fairly simple handball out of defence but was comfortably winning every 1v1.
-Sincs the main outlet out of defence. Doesn't miss.
-Wood, Hill, Henry really being used a lot as the second kick. All moving and presenting constantly.
-Nas, Ronnie, Wilkie, Sinclair all standouts here. These guys make great decisions under pressure.
-Collard is so agile, but did fade a bit. Obviously needs to work on the tank more, but when he's on he's on.

Red v Green full match sim with AFL umps:
-8 min quarters after about 2 hours training at this point.
Amongst the red team were Steele, Wilkie, Henry, Wood, Marshall, Cordy, Membrey, Wilson, Windy, Battle, Hill, Clark, Owens, Sharman. Green had Ross, Byrnes, Bonner, Keller, Garcia, Alison, Nasiah, amongst others.
-Red had 2 inside 50's within about 1.5 mins.
-Owens set shot misses for a behind.
-Windy nice hands to Clark who bangs one through from about 45m. Under very little pressure from opposing team.
-Green team get to their attacking 50 once, but the way the defensive unit of Wilkie, Stocker, Battle and Webster worked the ball.. switched it twice and back into attack... was really, really nice to watch. Very clean use of it and they all knew what the other was doing.
-Pou, Jones, and Dougal all running laps. Caminiti still running.
-Heard RTB talking to another coach near the boundary about Garcia. Said he had a blankness and expressionlessness about him that really intrigued him. Said he was an interesting character. Not sure what this was in reference to exactly.
-Boris was commenting to RTB about how well they were transitioning the footy.
-RTB called out to Lance multiple times to commend him on his pace and attack. Really singling him out.
-Marshall taps down Steele's throat, Steele with 3 fakes and a spin to a running Sinclair through the middle, Sincs pings one through from 50.
-Clark in the middle to a, once again, streaming Sincs, who hits Steele on the tit just inside 50. Steele kicks over to Marshall for a set shot who absolutely shanks it haha doesn't make the distance and goes way wide.
-Again the transition from the Red team looks unreal. Battle, Hill, Webster all working beautifully.
-Stocker hits a ripping 40m kick inside 50 deep to a leading Membrey. Really nice ball use. Watching Stocker he was putting a lot of physical pressure on Garcia at d50 stoppages. Really making him work. Garcia is seriously pacy, and bursts off the mark.

-Bonner easily outmanoeuvres Hggins and delivers i50, Ro Marshall back into the hole to take a nice defensive pack mark.

Some players now swap teams to mix it up a bit and make it a little more equal.

-Owens chasing an errant ball to the boundary, out steps Bonner, delivers forward. Then runs on and ends up in the forward pack in the square. He outmuscles everyone to get a snap off at goal. Is a real handful. Just don't know how you match up well on him as he's bigger than the smalls, more agile than the bigs, and more powerful than most.

Ross made them do commando roles and planks in between the 3rd and 4th quarter after about 2.5 hours training, really pushing them. Tired lads out there but they looks in great shape.

That'll do me, and congrats if you made it this far. Jesus. What a waffle haha.

Cheers.
All good mate, very accurate. Glad you mentioned Stocker, stood out in the sim today.
Ross was coaching Liam Henry heaps during the match sim.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

What makes it express? How quick he chugs em? Fair.

Great write up.

Get the feeling Dow isn't doing everything? Haven't seen his name mentioned a whole heap. Wonder what that means for R1.
Was running laps today, maybe load management.

Had a very quick chat to Liam Henry's dad (family over from WA).
Said he is aiming for mid more than wing. Had all his Saints gear on, but is a Collingwood supporter, seems like a nice guy and family.

That pretty much makes you an ITK. We’ll be expecting to hear all the inside info from you from now on.

Well Mave has stole the thunder with that fantastic report from training. So here is a few tidbits I noticed whilst down there:

- No Crouch or Butler at all. Can account for seeing everyone else at least doing something outside.

- Jack Hayes in the rehab group but was doing some really impressive running.

- Caminiti also in rehab and going through a very solid running block. Similar to Wednesdays reports, went down into a squat in between runs and one of the fitness staff yelled at him to get up. Ross took notice of this and sent over some frightening looks Caminiti’s way.

- Shoenmaker was also in a solid running block away from main training. Seemed to be moving really well. Once completed he walked over to talk to some mates over the fence before Ross screamed at him to head to recovery immediately.

- Wilkie’s leadership stands out immensely. Was extremely vocal and demanding out there. Trains extremely hard, demands attention and seems to be a favourite of the coaches.

- Sinclair hasn’t missed a beat and looks primed for another standout year.

-Marshall on the way to AA honours. Was moving around the ground well and taking some big clunks.

- Feel like we’ve committed highway robbery on the Dockers for Liam Henry. He looks out of the development stage and ready to boom. Was used as the receiver in so many drills and most times delivered the footy perfectly. Runs extremely hard to create space and provide an outside option. His mate Brad Hill is looking fantastic aswell.

- It’s hard to explain how excited Owens gets me. He is just an absolute competitor. In match sim, was leading like a FF and then seconds later he’s up the ground under the pack dishing out release handballs, before flying into a pack back at FF.

- Garcia stood out to me out of all the new draftees. Very crafty, excellent spread and good skills. Big shot at debuting this year. Collard too was impressive at times but he looks like a school child out there. Didn’t realise he was so small.

Righto, this will be long, somewhat incoherent and jumbled, but these are things I saw today.

-Dow, Caminiti, Hayes doing laps. Wule the others warmed up Caminiti was pushed really hard in his running. Many of the boys were cheering him on too.

-As vocal as I've heard them. Henry, Windy, Steele, Pou all beautiful kicks as they ran at the marker. What stands out is how conditioned everyone looks. All in ripping shape.

-
-Steele's tackling looks back to it's best. Strong through the body and was not letting them out. Clark had no chance after being wrapped up.

-Pou being very physical with Seb Ross at every new stoppage, lots of body work.
-Jones is a pest. Putting heaps of pressure on his man, and very mouthy. But he is lively.
-Henry was being utilised really well as a receiver and was using his legs. Hotton good here too.
-Windy was being instructed by Lenny through this drill and seemed to be almost doing a 'run with' role on Steele.
-After this drill finished, Steele pulled the whole crew together and chatted with them and coached them through what they could have done a bit better, heard mentions of their positioning and method. Good to see, as I don't often see him do that.

-Jones has very quick feet in traffic - stops and props and sidesteps really well, and he's strong. I almost forget he's on our list sometimes because he's been so injury plagued, but if he's right he really adds something different.
-Teams switched over and Wood, Bonner, Hastie, and Webster were working really well as a unit. Hastie with a nice intercept that was well received by the coaches.

-
Looked like the focus was to get the ball moving and the switch across goals and out of d50 on the other side.
-Hastie moves really nicely. As many have said he's still quite slight in the upper body but his use and movement are looking good. He was being directly encouraged by BJ many times in this drill to be more vocal and instructive. Positive to see that already they think he can be directive. Had a nice fend off on Webster.
-Overall the disposal so far was very good. Slightly blustery wind but some really nice kicking. Good to see.

-Adrian Cole is a big unit. Does not look out of place at all. Took a really nice mark over Heath then delivered i50 to Alison who dropped an absolute soda. Did take a nice lead up mark after that though.
-Henry using his wheels, out ran wood and linked up with Byrnes nicely both using their pace to combine. Henry had one really good inside 50, and one absolute worm burning stinker. Was being used a lot though which I liked.
-King in fluro cap but was leading and going for his marks. Dougs was on him and being physical but King was moving a lot which was good, trying to lose him. Sharman would then come over and force Dougs to try manage both of them. It let King off the leash a little as Dougs focus shifted to deal with Sharman. Ball was still being dumped on his head a bit though...
-Ross stopped the play and asked if anyone was actually going to lead at the kicker.
-Arie Schoonerdeleter was doing laps and really working hard. Sweating out last nights sesh.

Goal kicking between drills was actually quite good. Owens, Marshall, and Coops all drilling them. Sharman has such a nice and simple kicking action.

-
-Wilkie dominating. Did miss a fairly simple handball out of defence but was comfortably winning every 1v1.
-Wood, Hill, Henry really being used a lot as the second kick. All moving and presenting constantly.
-Nas, Ronnie, Wilkie, Sinclair all standouts here. These guys make great decisions under pressure.
-Collard is so agile, but did fade a bit. Obviously needs to work on the tank more, but when he's on he's on.

Amongst the red team were Steele, Wilkie, Henry, Wood, Marshall, Cordy, Membrey, Wilson, Windy, Battle, Hill, Clark, Owens, Sharman. Green had Ross, Byrnes, Bonner, Keller, Garcia, Alison, Nasiah, amongst others.
-Windy nice hands to Clark who bangs one through from about 45m. Under very little pressure from opposing team.
-Green team get to their attacking 50 once, but the way the defensive unit of Wilkie, Stocker, Battle and Webster worked the ball.. switched it twice and back into attack... was really, really nice to watch. Very clean use of it and they all knew what the other was doing.
-Heard RTB talking to another coach near the boundary about Garcia. Said he had a blankness and expressionlessness about him that really intrigued him. Said he was an interesting character. Not sure what this was in reference to exactly.
-RTB called out to Lance multiple times to commend him on his pace and attack. Really singling him out.
-Marshall taps down Steele's throat, Steele with 3 fakes and a spin to a running Sinclair through the middle, Sincs pings one through from 50.
-Clark in the middle to a, once again, streaming Sincs, who hits Steele on the tit just inside 50. Steele kicks over to Marshall for a set shot who absolutely shanks it haha doesn't make the distance and goes way wide.
-Again the transition from the Red team looks unreal. Battle, Hill, Webster all working beautifully.
-Stocker hits a ripping 40m kick inside 50 deep to a leading Membrey. Really nice ball use. Watching Stocker he was putting a lot of physical pressure on Garcia at d50 stoppages. Really making him work. Garcia is seriously pacy, and bursts off the mark.

-Bonner easily outmanoeuvres Hggins and delivers i50, Ro Marshall back into the hole to take a nice defensive pack mark.

-Owens chasing an errant ball to the boundary, out steps Bonner, delivers forward. Then runs on and ends up in the forward pack in the square. He outmuscles everyone to get a snap off at goal. Is a real handful. Just don't know how you match up well on him as he's bigger than the smalls, more agile than the bigs, and more powerful than most.

Ross made them do commando roles and planks in between the 3rd and 4th quarter after about 2.5 hours training, really pushing them. Tired lads out there but they looks in great shape.

Cheers.

Impressive how much effort you put into your writeups. I find myself looking forward to your posts!

Another snippet. Caminiti runs a gruelling series of 400 hundreds, stops in front of me near the dugout.
Doesn't go on his back but down on his haunches.
Batchelor says 'stand up', Hammer bends forward, 'straighten up, walk or jog it out'.

Hammer complies and starts jogging. The whole coaching group is following Lyon's lead.

Another snippet. Caminiti runs a gruelling series of 400 hundreds, stops in front of me near the dugout.
Batchelor says 'stand up', Hammer bends forward, 'straighten up, walk or jog it out'.

Hammer complies and starts jogging. The whole coaching group is following Lyon's lead.

I wonder if Ross said the same to Harvs when he was playing. He'd always bend over with his hands on his hips.

Would enjoy Banger try and tell him otherwise, spent 1/3 of his playing career hands on knees 😍

Pou running laps, not in match sim.

Jones not in match sim either.

Whoever er asked before, Keeler in defence
Both Phillipou and Jones did plenty of work this morning, Keeler mostly in defence, McLennan noticeable, with Battle, Webster, Stocker and Wilkie very prominent.
Owens a real focal point, he’s amazing landing on his feet after a pack marking contest…always a threat!
Nas and Henry very lively, as was Sinclair.
As expected, huge emphasis on quick ball movement but avenues were deliberately congested so players had to think there way through to pick the best option.
Although not yet in full contact, Max King’s marking and field kicking were tremendous!

Thanks for the great reports Joffaboy Mavefromdelburn ultimate warrior

I'm wondering how things are looking for Hotton as all the talk is on Garcia atm?
Also Van Es, is he a chance of a game this year?
Cheers

Hotton looked pretty good today actually. He's not a standout but he did some nice things. I noticed him being used a little more than usual today, not sure if that was just my focus or he actually was.
Garcia is zippier, but obviously more raw.
No Van Es from what I saw.
From previous observations, he's a big lad, really big through the legs especially. Needs to work on his positioning and defensive craft more, but hopefully keeps developing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-

-

-

Cheers.
bravo sir!

I wonder if Ross said the same to Harvs when he was playing. He'd always bend over with his hands on his hips.
Ross had Harvs for two seasons and was a double Brownlow medallist and renown for his running.
Don't think that was on the agenda.

-

-

-

Cheers.
Not a waffle at all! Love your work mate thank you ❤️👍

-

-

-

Cheers.

"Ross stopped the play and asked if anyone was actually going to lead at the kicker."

Clearly some things never change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back