Autopsy 2024 Rd 10 Pack up the tents, we're going home. Swans smash Blues.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just want to shout out Marc Pittonet for his performances recently (including tonight) - he has been in career best form since returning to the team. Bringing everything he has and more so far in 2024 and has made himself completely undroppable which is great to see.

Some areas he is doing well in statistically in 2024 (the game tonight hasn't been included in the stats as of yet):
  • Contested possessions (12.0 per game) ==> 3rd amongst rucks
  • Ground ball gets (4.6 per game) ==> 6th amongst rucks
  • Centre clearances (3.4 per game) ==> 2nd amongst rucks
  • Total clearances (6.6 per game) ==> 2nd amongst rucks
  • Score involvements (5.8 per game) ==> 5th amongst rucks

Has been very good at getting the ball out of a stoppage and providing second efforts, has also been taking more marks. It’s really good to see.

We were completely outclassed last night. We needed to change something in that midfield, it’s too predictable. I would’ve loved to see Walsh go to Warner when he is getting take out of the game in the way that he was. I hope we start giving E Hollands some big minutes in there to see if he’s capable.
The forward line is average. We can only prey that Motlop comes in and offers us something different. I can’t see us winning finals games without a fit Martin down there.
We are slow, Cerra is a better runner then Kennedy and Hewett plus Cottrell and Saad will help but Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy need to be at their absolute best for them to work together and the likely hood of that happening is extremely low. A one paced midfield is a bigger concern then our small forwards.

I had huge hopes for Durdin and O Hollands at the start of the season and both shouldn’t be in the side. We really need a couple of these younger types stepping up if we are to save our season.

Maybe we are doing excessive amounts of running and not enough upper body or general strength work - I dont know.
So why do we seem to run out of steam so early?

We seem like a 1200 metre horse in a 1600 metre race lately. Is this a strategy or can we just not perform over 4 quarters and. more importantly, why is this?

Outclassed by a classy team.

Chad Warner made fools of us.

Walsh tagged out of the game. Crippa tried but he couldn’t do it on his own. Another injury to Weitering.

Elijah was good. Newman was good. Acres was Acres.

Not sure what they were doing with TDK but he vanished after half time.

No point potting Durdin and Fantasia. Neither should be in the team. But we don’t have replacements - other than Binns, who would get flogged by people on here for not being good enough.

I could go on and on and on.

Our fixture doesn’t get any easier. Next three weeks to the bye could be a train wreck.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I disagree - we had options.

Moir could have played - simply could not have done any worse. Offers a legit 3rd target, Swans backline is ordinary.

Binns should have played.... would it have made a difference? See Moir....

Marchy picked - off the back of what? Talent shown years ago. Cowan had been very serviceable.

Voss and co not ones to learn from their mistakes seemingly....

Our injuries caught up with us - adding Weiters to that too.

Better now than September - but need to bust our asses to identify talent in MSD../..

Slow and one dimensional.

Sure, the scale of injuries doesn’t help, and the Swans on their own ground is a tall order…but expected a better all round effort. They played with us.

Kemp tried hard but too many did very little, Durdin in particular.

Point is, regardless of injury, tonight’s showing isn’t a one off performance: we’re just not a top 4 side.
not going to beat any time when 4-6 guys are invisible...missed tackles were a feature!

better off kidding a few of the kids a taste of the big time than witnessing that lethargy.

Pittonet 12 clearances, with Cripps the next best on 5.

Kennedy 7 tackles with the next best on 4.

Our small forwards tackles: Fantasia 3, Williams 3, Owies 1, Durdin 1.

Small forward pressure acts: Fantasia 13, Williams 13, Owies 11, Durdin 11.

Intercepts: Kemp 9, Walsh 6, Newman 6, Marchbank 6

Contested possessions: Pittonet 16, Cripps 14, Walsh 11

Disposal efficiency: Best Weitering, Cincotta 100%; Worst Durdin 33%, Cripps 41%
what's a pressure act defined as?

Getting within 5m of your opponent and waving your arms around?

TBH, I’m a bit over Charlie’s smart arse, Ill considered, worm burning field kicks that are kicked straight to the opposition - time for a foot up the backside..
there was a fair bit of trying to get cute stuff at times - from senior players last night.

Charlie (serial offender), Cripps, even Walsh....

there was a fair bit of trying to get cute stuff at times - from senior players last night.

Charlie (serial offender), Cripps, even Walsh....
Cripps doing some dinky kicks that just don’t come off. Very slow to get ball to boot, gets caught and then fumbles the ball for a grubby kick. Just handball to the best option. Every time Charlie kicks he is centremetres from having his kick smothered.

We are not an overly skillful side and there were several instances of players attempting precision kicks that went to $hit and caused turnover goals. Thinking about Boyd in the D50 trying a rubbish kick to a 50-50 that directly resulted in a swans goal. A lot of the issues upstairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Owies should be nervous too, spends long periods without getting involved.

Not fast, can’t kick over a jam jar from an elevated tee, misses more tackles than he makes, rarely front and square to the marking contest, thinks he is a marking tall and clogs up the space the big guys need to work in. Has Brad Fisher vibes. Been lucky to capitalise on the work of others to contribute a goal or two a game and keep his spot due to lack of options.

Peak Eddie Betts would be having 10+ shots a game in this side by being on the move and getting to the front of packs knowing where the ball is being kicked. Our small forwards are the only players in the AFL that don’t seem to know our game plan of kicking it long to H and Chuckles.
if the Club hadn't swatted Betts away, we'd have Stengle!

Owies does his bit most weeks.

We got smashed in the guts - that's not on him.

We're not an overly skilful side, but it's made much worse when everything we do is under pressure.

Less mucking around and trying to be cute, more shepherding for your man and upping the physicality. More actual playing as a team.

Owies should be nervous too, spends long periods without getting involved.

Not fast, can’t kick over a jam jar from an elevated tee, misses more tackles than he makes, rarely front and square to the marking contest, thinks he is a marking tall and clogs up the space the big guys need to work in. Has Brad Fisher vibes. Been lucky to capitalise on the work of others to contribute a goal or two a game and keep his spot due to lack of options.

Peak Eddie Betts would be having 10+ shots a game in this side by being on the move and getting to the front of packs knowing where the ball is being kicked. Our small forwards are the only players in the AFL that don’t seem to know our game plan of kicking it long to H and Chuckles.
Sorry but singling out Owies who at the very least scored a goal is just plain silly.

Owies is one of our most accurate set shots and knws where to be when we play as a team. Last night did not resemble team play - we lost our system.

Look far a field and you will see we had significant issues elsewhere.

Last year it wasn’t a problem. It’s intent
Im sure there is a bit of that as well but imo we do lack body strength - outside of Cripps who is one of the best if not the best in the comp for strength we dont have players that display good body strength when it comes to tackling or not being pushed off the ball by oppo.

Our tackling has been an issue for a while but I agree last year we were much better.

I disagree - we had options.

Moir could have played - simply could not have done any worse. Offers a legit 3rd target, Swans backline is ordinary.

Binns should have played.... would it have made a difference? See Moir....

Marchy picked - off the back of what? Talent shown years ago. Cowan had been very serviceable.

Voss and co not ones to learn from their mistakes seemingly....

Our injuries caught up with us - adding Weiters to that too.

Better now than September - but need to bust our asses to identify talent in MSD../..

Disagree about moir, just has no tank but otherwise spot on.

We're not an overly skilful side, but it's made much worse when everything we do is under pressure.

Less mucking around and trying to be cute, more shepherding for your man and upping the physicality. More actual playing as a team.
There were so many examples last night where we did not shepherd to protect a team mate going for the ball. Just a glaring lack of physical presence.

I tipped Carlton to make 4th ... only I can't see that happening now ... so goodbye to being a genuine contender for 2024 ... 5th or 6th just won't cut it, imho.

Carlton need to get at least one key defender, perhaps 2 to replace Cincotta and Marchbank, 1 quick solid mid and 2 dangerous small forwards. Thinking we have the Players already to win a flag is fantasy stuff.

And then there's the skills training ... cause we aren't up with the Big Boys, especially with tackling pressure

I tipped Carlton to make 4th ... only I can't see that happening now ... so goodbye to being a genuine contender for 2024 ... 5th or 6th just won't cut it, imho.

Carlton need to get at least one key defender, perhaps 2 to replace Cincotta and Marchbank, 1 quick solid mid and 2 dangerous small forwards. Thinking we have the Players already to win a flag is fantasy stuff.

And then there's the skills training ... cause we aren't up with the Big Boys, especially with tackling pressure
At this stage 5th or 6th would be a dream come true.

Unfortunately, I just cant see it happening with the amount of injuries we currently have - and it seems to be getting worse as the season progresses.

The hawks were a genuinely slow ******* team. Speed doesn't matter if you build your game plan, set ups and strength training around it. He was a sniper but I don't think I EVER saw Lewis or Hodge miss a tackle. We are slow AND weak AND set upike we play breakaway footy.... It's moronic

Slow except for the really, really quick players like Hill and Smith on the wings.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back