Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
I hope we have a look into using someone else or even a couple of others to play that 4th midfielder.

Cripps, Walsh and Kennedy plus maybe EHollands, Kemp, Williams or even Cowan being that 4th rotation.

But if it’s out of Hewett or Carroll I’d be leaning towards Carroll who is just as slow but does seem to have better disposal by foot.

Wonder if Hewett can play a defensive half forward similar to how he did at Sydney..

With Saad returning, backline is bulging

Boyd Weitering Newman
Gov Kemp/Marchbank Saad

Options Cincotta, Williams

I'd actually play Cowan as a HHF at the moment until he can build a tank

At the moment, wingmen should be Walsh, Ollie, Acres
If we're getting Saad back this week, moving Cincotta into the midfield is a bit of a no brainer for mine. Release the beast.

I went to the Blues v Nth VFL game earlier this year where they played Cinc in the guts, and was BOG for us alongside Pitto. His burst out of stoppages was a real standout, like the proverbial bull in the china shop.

Also, Cow should be in the starting 22, especially after his performance today in the magoos - either in the half back role or further upfield. I don't mind he idea of HFF rotating through the midfield similar to Elijah.

And I absolutely disagree with parachuting players into positions they've never played before - like suggesting dropping Binns in as a small forward. Cinc and Cow have both played further upfield in their careers, so it's not just spitballing. Leave the experimenting stuff to the VFL or for the preseason.

1 win behind second on the ladder, few results going our way so far this round fortunately. Adelaide falling short, massive bummer, funny position ATM.

Half the side out via injury, 10th or so on the ladder, sentiment is of a general 'burn the place down and start again' discourse, yet 4 points behind 2nd.

With a few back and a rolling of the Suns next week the season rolls on massively. Everyone gettable at this stage. A lot to play out yet.

Guys I have a 3 game membership but I'm in Perth chronic back pain so happy to send it to a true blue that isn't gonna be a dickhead and get me banned . Hoping I'm not setting myself up for a fall dm me .

Cowan almost was responsible for stealing the VFL game today once he was moved into the midfield, he's a smart footballer, his blind turn today was one for the ages, completely turned around the Willy player and then delivered it perfectly 40 meters downfield, resulted in a goal. He was laying tackles, kicking it sixty meters with the wind. Completely wasted in the magoos....
This is great news - He is building nicely.

One thing is for sure he loves to compete - not a ball watcher.

Cowan almost was responsible for stealing the VFL game today once he was moved into the midfield, he's a smart footballer, his blind turn today was one for the ages, completely turned around the Willy player and then delivered it perfectly 40 meters downfield, resulted in a goal. He was laying tackles, kicking it sixty meters with the wind. Completely wasted in the magoos....
I guarantee you he wouldn’t be doing any of that if he was in the seniors. He’s doing what the reserves is there for, to get confidence up and develop. He’s not being wasted

1 win behind second on the ladder, few results going our way so far this round fortunately. Adelaide falling short, massive bummer, funny position ATM.

Half the side out via injury, 10th or so on the ladder, sentiment is of a general 'burn the place down and start again' discourse, yet 4 points behind 2nd.

With a few back and a rolling of the Suns next week the season rolls on massively. Everyone gettable at this stage. A lot to play out yet.
Correct but we arent trending in the right direction - we are slowly heading south so that is a bit of a worry.

Injuries are definitely playing a big part but we have been in most games right up to the dying minutes - which to me suggests we arent playing clever football when it counts in those tight finishes.

Our senior players have been playing just about all games so far and they haven't been able to steer the ship in close finishes. Imo an area we need to improve in.

Also, we arent able to defend slingshots. Something to do with our positioning perhaps or just not enough pressure in our forward half - but we need to get this right also because if teams cant beat us in contested footy they beat us on turnovers.

I guarantee you he wouldn’t be doing any of that if he was in the seniors. He’s doing what the reserves is there for, to get confidence up and develop. He’s not being wasted
Granted, but 'wasted' in terms of that he should be in the seniors, watching him yesterday he can do the job many were saying that Williams should, occasional midfield stints with a defensive forward mind set. This kid proved that he's gone beyond the seconds and really must be a constant in the seniors. Plus he's as hard as a cat's head, something we miss and some of us want Cam Zurhar to be that player, well I reckon we've already got him, I really loke this kid.... don't want him to 'go home' because he wasn't given enough opportunities, want him to buy into the Bagger spirit, like Crippa has.

Correct but we arent trending in the right direction - we are slowly heading south so that is a bit of a worry.

Injuries are definitely playing a big part but we have been in most games right up to the dying minutes - which to me suggests we arent playing clever football when it counts in those tight finishes.

Our senior players have been playing just about all games so far and they haven't been able to steer the ship in close finishes. Imo an area we need to improve in.

Also, we arent able to defend slingshots. Something to do with our positioning perhaps or just not enough pressure in our forward half - but we need to get this right also because if teams cant beat us in contested footy they beat us on turnovers.
Progress isn’t linear. Blues, swans and giants were 15th, 14th and 13th after round 13 last year, and all played finals. Essendon were a game out of the top 4 after round 17, ended up 11th

Generally speaking you may be right but trying different things is a good thing even if it is done in the vfl - sometimes things click into place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Granted, but 'wasted' in terms of that he should be in the seniors, watching him yesterday he can do the job many were saying that Williams should, occasional midfield stints with a defensive forward mind set. This kid proved that he's gone beyond the seconds and really must be a constant in the seniors. Plus he's as hard as a cat's head, something we miss and some of us want Cam Zurhar to be that player, well I reckon we've already got him, I really loke this kid.... don't want him to 'go home' because he wasn't given enough opportunities, want him to buy into the Bagger spirit, like Crippa has.
He’s 19. This is the natural progression for a kid his age. Let him develop without the pressure of “he should be a lock in this team” and comparing him to Cam Zurhaar. I don’t think doing this accomplishes anything

Progress isn’t linear. Blues, swans and giants were 15th, 14th and 13th after round 13 last year, and all played finals. Essendon were a game out of the top 4 after round 17, ended up 11th
You cant rely on what other teams have done in the past to predict what we may do.

For all those teams that did that there would probably be similar number of them that didn't trend in that way.

One thing is clear - we need to improve and mostly in the areas I have highlighted.

You cant rely on what other teams have done in the past to predict what we may do.

For all those teams that did that there would probably be similar number of them that didn't trend in that way.

One thing is clear - we need to improve and mostly in the areas I have highlighted.
Never said we don’t need to improve, that’s a given But bringing such a negative mindset after round 10 is asking for trouble

With Cerra out of the CBs, Cottrell's run and pace missing for a further chunk of games, and not having Doc available, the plodding one-dimensional midfield needs a few new faces rotated through. Williams is not going to be able to do it by the looks of things and throwing Durdin / Fantastia in there for a few CBs isn't having the same effect as the likes of Swans putting Papley through there - they're just not at the level.

Cowan and Cincotta do stand out as decent options of defenders that can go into the middle - both are tough and are quicker than the likes of Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett.

Vossy has options there. But we're still crying out for that HFF / 3rd forward.

Its reality and we need to deal with it - cant put your head in the sand and hope the problems go away.
Actually that’s just shit talk. Our job as supporters isn’t to do deal with that - it’s to where possible go to games and support proudly and loudly. I’ve heard the players say truckloads of times that they feed off our energy. It’s an advantage for us and we should tap into it.

Pretty solid picture of one of the key differences that we need to genuinely address:

1000000624.jpg
Im seriously glad that majority of posters have no say in our team selection.

"Leta drop Kennedy and bring in Kemp for a stint in the middle"

"Drop 9 players and bring in our VFL side"
Ah yes, because those two quotes are both real and accurate...

Questioning the credibility of others with that username is A+ internetting, kudos!

Actually that’s just s**t talk. Our job as supporters isn’t to do deal with that - it’s to where possible go to games and support proudly and loudly. I’ve heard the players say truckloads of times that they feed off our energy. It’s an advantage for us and we should tap into it.
No one is giving up on the club brightspark!

This a footy forum - we discuss all things footy.

When we win - we will enjoy it
When we lose we dissect it.

If you don't want to talk about areas of improvement then don't join in the conversation.

Pretty solid picture of one of the key differences that we need to genuinely address:
View attachment 1993219

Questioning the credibility of others with that username is A+ internetting, kudos!
A little more evidence is helpful

Screenshot_20240519_092107_AFL.jpg

Screenshot_20240519_092039_AFL.jpg

Screenshot_20240519_091949_AFL.jpg

Screenshot_20240519_091905_AFL.jpg

View attachment 1993219

Carlton were beaten at the contest -that is the #1 indicator of what happened - that and little runt players who have zero ability to win a contest or stick a tackle.

Last edited:
Im seriously glad that majority of posters have no say in our team selection.

"Leta drop Kennedy and bring in Kemp for a stint in the middle"

"Drop 9 players and bring in our VFL side"
I'm torn between which posters are worse?

In one hand we have the burn the place down, ultra negative, sakc Russell and Voss types after another loss.

Then there is the "why post an opinion, just sit back and marvel at our tactics and team selections, the coaches know all, remember" after a scrambling victory.

We can justifiably blame the current injury curse for our recent struggles, but the club is not beyond reproach or questioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back