Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
You reckon he is the best kick in teh competition like Champion data says? Really?
"According to Champion Data’s stats, 25-year-old defender Jordan Boyd is the best kick coming out of the backline in the entire AFL – and comfortably."

I'm not a big Champion Data person but think "coming out of the backline" is an important caveat.

"According to Champion Data’s stats, 25-year-old defender Jordan Boyd is the best kick coming out of the backline in the entire AFL – and comfortably."

I'm not a big Champion Data person but think "coming out of the backline" is an important caveat.

Needs to be cross referenced with metres gained of 295. A benchmark player is someone like Whitfield this year. 28 disposals a game, 481 metres gained, disposal efficiency of over 80.

He either ups his possession count or is considered average. And if he does up his possession count he will get attention and pressure i guess.

I don't rate CD's opinion all that much, but the eye test does show he is generally a good user.

Has also lost a low number of contested 1v1s, equal 2nd, so unlike many seagulls playing HB, he can also defend

Boyd does has a good return on defensive one on ones. 6 one on ones for one loss.

Less exciting is that Boyd and Cincotta have contested the same amount of one on ones. Cincotta has achieved this from 7 less games than Boyd. A much better option for lockdown than Boyd on that stat and a much better option for defence as we need players who will contest more and not avoid them (Seagulls).

As opposed to the metres gained seagull Whitfield who has lost 2/3s of his 1v1s and had minimal impact when we played them

Some people scoffed at the suggestion of Boyd being a lock at the start of the year and here we are they're still doing their best to make a case for someone better

I find it entertaining, but, he is still a lock

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to be cross referenced with metres gained of 295. A benchmark player is someone like Whitfield this year. 28 disposals a game, 481 metres gained, disposal efficiency of over 80.

He either ups his possession count or is considered average. And if he does up his possession count he will get attention and pressure i guess.
Metres gained is a pretty useless stat imo - I'd rather someone hit a 30m kick in board then punt it 50m down the line to a pack. You lose so much context with a stat like metres gained.

I don't rate CD's opinion all that much, but the eye test does show he is generally a good user.

Has also lost a low number of contested 1v1s, equal 2nd, so unlike many seagulls playing HB, he can also defend
I agree great user of the ball and a very solid one on one defender. Great to have someone that can be a net positive in both areas.

Boyd does has a good return on defensive one on ones. 6 one on ones for one loss.

Less exciting is that Boyd and Cincotta have contested the same amount of one on ones. Cincotta has achieved this from 7 less games than Boyd. A much better option for lockdown than Boyd on that stat and a much better option for defence as we need players who will contest more and not avoid them (Seagulls).
The two can co-exist and I don't agree that Boyd is avoiding these contests - just different roles in the back 7

My intention is not to bag Boyd at all since I like what he brings to the backline as a whole but - he has had some good moments and some bad and I don't give a fig for short-term data points ...

Champion data are the experts in caveats - meaning they are selling a story that isn't statistics it is anecdote and in this case based on short-termism which is what makes the AFL world go round and round and round

I too think Boyd should be in the team right now. I just tend to think he should be developed like CD said as a rebounding defender. Based on that and how he compares vs Newman, Saad and Williams, he should earn his right.

Only IMO, Carlton lack defender mongrel as most of our defenders all want to play intercept and then rebound including our taller defenders. Austin needs to address.

If only Durdin could make it. That alone frees up the others to do their intercept thing.

I predict after a fairly even first quarter we'll kick 15 unanswered goals and turn our season around
Last year I took my young son to his first live game and it was Carlton v Gold Coast at the MCG. We arrived there late, nearly at the end of the 1st quarter near where the Suns cheersquad was sitting. Then it rained Carlton goals and it did not stop and I took my boy to as many home matches as I could for the rest of the season. He is yet to see Carlton lose a live game ... he is coming with me on Saturday 😁

Boyd still puzzles me. He is not a great one on one defender but is adequate. Hardly any contested marking from a defensive point of view...more uncontested marks. Was rightfully pulled up a couple of games ago for minding his man while letting goals go through.

If its rebound defender then he needs to find the ball more like a John Noble who is only average at best and is dropped at times. Boyd is only getting it 13 times a game. A successful qtr back needs it 20-25 times. With Saad and Williams out of the way for a while, Boyd really hasnt been able to achieve much possession.

He isnt young either but rightfully hasnt played that many games so still has some upside.

He needs to becomes a Saad or Docherty (at his best) or he needs to becomes a more defensive type like Quaynor who wins his one on ones.

He may be an in betweener which would suck as no one needs a player that is 'adequate' at the two different roles.
Boyd also struggles with 'filling the hole' in front of leads. Often gets caught and reacts too late. He's definitely still learning.

If Fog, Mots and Saad are ready, the changes seem fairly simple ish, or maybe not

Out Pitto, Marchbank, Durdin

In Mots, Fog, Saad

If Weitering or TDK doesn't get up, Young probably comes in

If both don't get up, probably Young and Durdin come in

Then there is Cowan, who was stiff to be dropped, but we really don't need another defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back