Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
Expect to win and win well, wonder what the effect on the group, particularly on the coaching group would be IF we were to suffer a Brisbane bears, Warwick Capper type loss?
For us young'uns, what sort of loss is that?

Expect to win and win well, wonder what the effect on the group, particularly on the coaching group would be IF we were to suffer a Brisbane bears, Warwick Capper type loss?

But Bears were the cellar dwellers at that stage whereas Gold Coast are quality. If we lost to North that would be akin to the Bears debacle.

I was actually at that game, right behind the goals at the away end. I watched that ball sail through. Jeez he struck it well for Capper.

But Bears were the cellar dwellers at that stage whereas Gold Coast are quality. If we lost to North that would be akin to the Bears debacle.

I was actually at that game, right behind the goals at the away end. I watched that ball sail through. Jeez he struck it well for Capper.

Please keep in mind that the 50 metre arc in those days at Princes Park was actually 45 metres.

:p

The same Teague who was McGoverns forwards coach at Adelaide when they had one of the best attacks we've seen for a long time

I have other issues with Teague in fairness but if anyone at Carlton knew McGovern as a forward it was DT

Yeah, there never seems to be a good time not to stick the boots into Teague.

During his 2 years as coach (39 games) McKay and Curnow missed 31 games between them. The same two players have missed only 8 under Voss out of a possible 58 games.

Fair argument that McGovern or anyone else would be slotting into a far more stable forward line now than that one under Teague.

Btw JSOS (third tall) also missed 21 under Teague and only 11 (out of 48 before his knee) under Voss.

Edit: also Btw McGovern himself missed 22 out of 39 under Teague so there would not have been many times all four played at the same time.

Last edited:
As it stands, we're 6-4, having just come out of an extremely tough 5 weeks of footy. To put things into context, we're the only team ever to be sitting 10th with a record of 6-4. Only once prior has a team at 6-4 not been in the top 8 after 10 rounds (Port Adelaide in 2018).
That's a really interesting stat. I'm still trying to get to grips with where we're at. For a team that has in no way hit its straps, we've still won 60% of our games - if we just keep going at that rate, we'll likely end up with about 14 wins at the end of the season, which is usually a lock for finals. We're sitting tenth, but if we had won one more game we would be fifth; if that win had been against Geelong, we'd currently be fourth. But we didn't, so we're not, and its a cut-throat season so every win counts. But then... injuries, tough draw, etc...

TLDR: I don't know where we're at. Please win this week, Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next 3 games define our season

Go 3-0 and we make top 4. Go 2-1 and we are a good chance. Go anything worse and we are just a 5-9th side
I would tend to agree with you but given what happened last year who knows. It's possible we could still not perform in the next three games and then go on a run. I would say that's unlikely to happen again though so your statement is closer to the truth. We need to find some inspiration from somewhere. That run of games last year was based on quick decisive ball movement. We took the game on and our forwards loved it. We had our fair share of injuries and we were still able to outplay a lot of our direct competitors. We played football that was good to watch and was getting a result. Need to play more in that style and less stop start drudge.

Exactly, people not paying attention to what the Suns have done this yr and are still operating with the thought they're rubbish and losing to them is embarrassing. They just put 150+ on Geelong, and say what you will about their outs, they're still always one of the most professional outfits in the league and the Suns just put them to the sword for fun. They do also seem to play well against us - I feel like it's because their midfield can match it with us.

The only key thing I see in a favour heavily is that GC don't travel well (neither do we, but fortunately this is at home) - aside from that I'm not exactly confident in walking over them.

Last edited:
I would tend to agree with you but given what happened last year who knows. It's possible we could still not perform in the next three games and then go on a run. I would say that's unlikely to happen again though so your statement is closer to the truth. We need to find some inspiration from somewhere. That run of games last year was based on quick decisive ball movement. We took the game on and our forwards loved it. We had our fair share of injuries and we were still able to outplay a lot of our direct competitors. We played football that was good to watch and was getting a result. Need to play more in that style and less stop start drudge.
This week is where the coaches are going to earn the big bucks. Nail strategy, pivot tactics where required and motivate the players accordingly after Friday's demolition.

The GC game last year was a turning point for us... GC were trying to cement a spot in the 8 and we were trying to salvage some respect from our season. Similar kinda vibe this time too.

This week is where the coaches are going to earn the big bucks. Nail strategy, pivot tactics where required and motivate the players accordingly after Friday's demolition.

The GC game last year was a turning point for us... GC were trying to cement a spot in the 8 and we were trying to salvage some respect from our season. Similar kinda vibe this time too.
Exactly, I want us to go back to being the hunters, not the hunted.

I find it hard to believe Motlop can come straight back in given the length of absence since last playing. Even ignoring what has happened to Cerra and Martin re-injuring themselves, Mots simply wouldn’t have match conditioning or touch. Fogarty and Saad I am less concerned about coming back off a long layoff as they had already played all available games up tot the point they got injured and the nature of Fog’s injury and Saad’s professionalism with respect to his conditioning.

I know everyone, myself included, are desperate to get some of our key players back in the team, especially at small forward where we’ve been so poor, but IMO Mots’s selection smacks of desperation. Mots playing again should in itself be enough of a jolt to get a good performance out of Durdin and Fantasia, who must surely know that their time to perform in order to stay in the team is fast running out.
What's there too lose?

Durdin and Fanta are playing poor, poor footy.

Mots could play good footy for 10 minutes and do more than those two have been contributing.

I don't expect Motlop to change the world up forward. I think he'll be better than what we currently have but I wouldn't be expecting the whole dynamic to change. He'll maybe be an 8/9 possession and goal a game forward, which is what he was last yr, at least for a while while he's finding fitness. Maybe late in the yr he can spike a bit but don't expect huge impact early.

What's there too lose?

Durdin and Fanta are playing poor, poor footy.

Mots could play good footy for 10 minutes and do more than those two have been contributing.
Motlop could get injured again and then miss another 4-5 weeks which would mean another 4-5 weeks of having to play Durdin and/or Fantasia.

Motlop could get injured again and then miss another 4-5 weeks which would mean another 4-5 weeks of having to play Durdin and/or Fantasia.
He could get injured anytime, what difference does it make. He could just as easily get injured in the 2s. If he's fit he's fit.

I wouldn't bring him right back in personally, I don't think he's at the level of player who supersedes needing a run in the 2s for touch. But it isn't fitness related.

Exactly, people not paying attention to what the Suns have done this yr and are still operating with the thought they're rubbish and losing to them is embarrassing. They just put 150+ on Geelong, and say what you will about their outs, they're still always one of the most professional outfits in the league and the Suns just put them to the sword for fun. They do also seem to play well against us - I feel like it's because their midfield can match it with us.

The only key thing I see in a favour heavily is that GC don't travel well (neither do we, but fortunately this is at home) - aside from that I'm not exactly confident in walking over them.

Weren't they 40 odd points up on us only 13 or so games ago - needed a Charlie special to scrape a win.

Weren't they 40 odd points up on us only 13 or so games ago - needed a Charlie special to scrape a win.
Yeah a 4 point win last season. Not to forget they beat us the yr before by 5 goals.

The last 3 games against them only once have we really got hold of them, and we probably should've lost 2, so we shouldn't take it for granted at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back