Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
I would read into it that he was brought in prematurely last week because we were worried about a match up and perhaps the plan was for him to play 2-3 VFL games ??

I don't feel better about that.

Should never have been moved into defence in a perfect world IMO - it was only out of necessity that it happened. He 'failed' as a forward with us because he very rarely got to play alongside both H and Charlie. I don't have the stats to back that up, just going from memory. Would love to see how he goes taking the oppos third best defender. He's capable of a pack mark, he's reasonably quick off the mark to be a decent lead up forward too and he would stretch the oppo defence more than what we currently do. Weitering, Marchbank, Kemp should be able to hold down the defence. What we would gain by moving Gov forward outweighs what we would lose in defence IMO.
Mitch, Charlie and Harry have only played 8 games together in the same forward line and in 2 of them McGovern/Curnow got subbed out due to injury so 6 proper games. All of these came in the 1st half of 2019. In those 8 games they kicked 39 goals between them (Curnow 16, McGovern 12, McKay 11), at a stage where we were a bottom 2 side.

Riley Beveridge wrote this article back in 2021 and to this day many of us are still dreaming of this coming to fruition.

"Jesse Motlop will play his first game for the 2024 campaign on Saturday morning for the Carlton Reserves, returning via the VFL against the Suns at IKON Park. "

Good.
I agree he should have a game or two in the VFL but it's interesting that other "non-A grade" players don't, #cough Cunningham # cough

Wonder what that means thought process wise from the selection team ... 🤔

No one. I don't trust we can run out the game with the following players not 100% fit: weitering, de konig, saad, fogarty when we already have 5 or 6 outs
How would you know that?
De Koning & Weitering had minor injuries, Saad & Fogarty were expected to return around this time.

lf we cannot win this one, we are in real trouble to retrieve the season.

It's ridiculous. Nobody is managed after one game back. He's either in need of a fitness block, injured or dropped.

If Durdin is named as omitted, surely Marchbank is a big enough boy to cop the same label. If he's injured, say so.

If he's just unfit, the proof will be in the VFL side. No substitute for match fitness.
The other (more likely) option is that he pulled up sore. Not ‘injured’ as such, but not right to play.

We are older, more experienced and in front of our home crowd. If we drop this, we have serious problems.

We have at least our best 6 players in Curnow, Weitering, Cripps, Walsh, McKay and Saad. Missing Docherty and Cerra, then maybe Newman, McGovern and Acres, so 9 of our best 11 players are in the team.

We have no excuses.
I agree.

We won’t win every game that we’re expected to. That’s simply competitive sport. But we are at the stage now where consistently strong performances should be the norm and the team should be demonstrating top-8 credibility and top-flight integrity week in/week out. That’s the platform for any genuine contender.

No excuses.

I agree he should have a game or two in the VFL but it's interesting that other "non-A grade" players don't, #cough Cunningham # cough

Wonder what that means thought process wise from the selection team ... 🤔
think it’s pretty clear. In recent times we’ve decided to defy the previously tried and true approach of easing players back in via the lower level, instead prolonging the recovery period with a return straight to AFL level.
Suspect our approach to returning players using this theory has changed in the past couple of weeks.

We have at least our best 6 players in Curnow, Weitering, Cripps, Walsh, McKay and Saad. Newman, McGovern and Acres, so 9 of our best 11 players are in the team.

We have no excuses.
Saad first game back after a fair layoff, Weitering playing a bit sore, Curnow and McKay haven’t really fired for a couple of weeks, McGovern still a bit rusty.

Just getting my excuses ready in the unlikely case we don’t…..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to One ruck again
Expect a big game from McKay
I like Williams up forward and he, Elijah Fogarty & Cowan helping through the midfield would be interesting

Saad back is huge. He, along with Boyd make us better

If Marchbank needs to be managed after just one game he is done
It's a much more balanced side than the recent examples, the forward mix looks far more mobile and capable of applying pressure.
Hope Cinc or Cow get a run in the guts, just needs Martin to replace Fanta soon and it's happy days.

The other (more likely) option is that he pulled up sore. Not ‘injured’ as such, but not right to play.

They used to just say 'soreness'. Either way, it would be missing a game because of his body.

Saad first game back after a fair layoff, Weitering playing a bit sore, Curnow and McKay have really fired for a couple of weeks, McGovern still a bit rusty.

Just getting my excuses ready in the unlikely case we don’t…..

We will never have everything perfect. Heaps of teams have players sore or underdone.

If we lose, there are other reasons.

Did okay last year against Darcy and Jackson
I am surprised Young is not in the 23, with Weitering and De Koning both on light duties this week. If it were me, I'd have named him as the sub, and sent Carroll back to the VFL to actually do something, because I think he is at the crossroads. Cincotta and Boyd switching through the middle of the ground.

I am surprised Young is not in the 23, with Weitering and De Koning both on light duties this week. If it were me, I'd have named him as the sub, and sent Carroll back to the VFL to actually do something, because I think he is at the crossroads. Cincotta and Boyd switching through the middle of the ground.

Young might still come into the team

It's ridiculous. Nobody is managed after one game back. He's either in need of a fitness block, injured or dropped.

If Durdin is named as omitted, surely Marchbank is a big enough boy to cop the same label. If he's injured, say so.

If he's just unfit, the proof will be in the VFL side. No substitute for match fitness.

Maybe it's just a matchup call

think it’s pretty clear. In recent times we’ve decided to defy the previously tried and true approach of easing players back in via the lower level, instead prolonging the recovery period with a return straight to AFL level.
Suspect our approach to returning players using this theory has changed in the past couple of weeks.
While I hope this is the case, the change in thinking that is, the inclusions of Saad & Fogarty kinda counter this argument.

IF the theory is we don't rush them back in due to other player examples this season, then both of them shouldn't be in the team.

I do want to point out that I'm happy that both of them are in. Fogarty more so than Saad because he is what has been missing in our forward line, PRESSURE & tackling. Saad is a fantastic player and is a no brainer when fit, but id be just as happy for him to have half a game in the VFL to test his fitness. If we were short in personnel who play his position I could understand the rush. Logically I know it won't happen but I'm a big fan of longevity over short term reward with players returning from injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back