Preview 2024 Rd 11 Carlton vs Gold Coast Saturday 25th May 1:45PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
A.Saad, L.Cowan, L.Fogarty

OUT: C.Durdin (Omitted), M.Pittonet (Finger), C.Marchbank (Managed)

Backs:Adam SaadJacob WeiteringLachie Cowan
Half-backs:Brodie KempMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Zac WilliamsHarry McKayElijah Hollands
Forwards:Orazio FantasiaCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningSam WalshMatthew Kennedy
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollAlex Cincotta
Lachie FogartyGeorge Hewett
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsCorey DurdinLewis Young

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you could say clearance and stoppage aren't our strength. We're no.1 from ctr clearances, 6th for stoppage clearances, no.1 for overall clearance and 2nd in the league in scores from stoppage. We're also no.1 in the comp for contested possessions.

Fwiw we're 10th in scores from kick in, 5th in scores from turn over (Front half turnovers have been a strength of ours in particular) and 13th from scores from the back half.
I prepared one for this earlier.... We are dead last for scores against from clearance. Sounds pretty shit to me

We have struggled to rebound and transition, I think our back line has been very unsettled this season which can make a big difference.
I like the look of our backline this week and I think it will be a lot more organised.
Finally, Zac Williams has been named at HF (I've been banging on about this for at least 12 months - even be fore he returned from injury). His ability to spot up targets and penetrating kicks will make a big difference to ball delivery in our forward line. I'm calling it now, I think we'll see his best game since the injury, possibly since landing at the Blues...

Close to our best side all year. I hope we line up like

B: Cincotta Weitering McGovern
HB: Boyd Kemp Saad
C: Acres Cripps Hollands
HF: Williams McKay Elijah
F: Kennedy Curnow Owies
Foll: TDK Hewett Walsh
Int: Newman Fogarty Carroll Cowan
Sub: Fantasia

Happy to be back to One Ruck. McKay will thrive and Charile will like more space
Kennedy & Cripps to play more third forward
I hope to see Williams Elijah Fogarty have more midfield time.
Cowan as extra mid/wing would be good to see
Hewett on Anderson
Our defence looks better
Fantasia sub hopefully as lucky to keep spot
Love to see Kemp as third forward but won't happen?
Young is on standby for Weitering. I desperately hope Weitering is okay

I just like we have more run and flexibility

Blues by 36 points

I prepared one for this earlier.... We are dead last for scores against from clearance. Sounds pretty s**t to me
We're 3rd last in scores against from clearance. Still not good. We are, however, No.2 for scores from clearance and no.1 for contested possession sounds pretty good to me. Strange dichotomy of being elite at scoring but do get scored against.

I had my stats wrong before: we're 6th from overall clearance not 1st. We are, though, 4th worse for clearances against.

Aside from clearance numbers we are dominating the league in terms of contested possession, we are comfortably no.1 with a +9.1 differential while 2nd is +7.2.

It's how we structure our game, but it's not elite as other teams are hurting us in the same phase. CP and front half turnovers are our strengths. Clearances are about breakeven.

What the figures tell me is we aren't going from inside to outside efficiently. Considering the far higher CP rate we just are having trouble converting the first possession or 2 into clearance.

Why is Marchy "managed" after 1 game? Too precious to play VFL?
Orazio still getting a game is a joke too.
All that aside, one of the stronger units we're putting out. Hoping Orazio is sub, we get zero injuries so no need to see him till the last when we already have the game in the bag.
Still concerned about Saad given 5 day turnaround but time will tell on that one.

We're 3rd last in scores against from clearance. Still not good. We are, however, No.2 for scores from clearance and no.1 for contested possession sounds pretty good to me. Strange dichotomy of being elite at scoring but do get scored against.

I had my stats wrong before: we're 6th from overall clearance not 1st. We are, though, 4th worse for clearances against.

Aside from clearance numbers we are dominating the league in terms of contested possession, we are comfortably no.1 with a +9.1 differential while 2nd is +7.2.

It's how we structure our game, but it's not elite as other teams are hurting us in the same phase. CP and front half turnovers are our strengths. Clearances are about breakeven.

What the figures tell me is we aren't going from inside to outside efficiently. Considering the far higher CP rate we just are having trouble converting the first possession or 2 into clearance.
I'd be interested to see these broken out by games rather than overall season position. Is there much variation between wins and losses , or between best and worst, whatever.

I still think we are a little shaky in tight finishes.

- Beat Freo - played a good last 10 minutes so that's a plus.

- Lost to Adelaide

- Won versus GWS but didn't look comfortable in the last 5 mins.

- Lost to Collingwood

- Beat Melbourne - only just

Interesting that the 3 teams who started well (outside swans) us,gws and the cats have all dipped with their form over the last 4 weeks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we as bad as we have been displaying? We have had a run playing all the better teams and only managed to beat one. That suggests to me we probably aren't top 4 quality. But are we finals quality? A game like this will go a long way to deciding that.

Suns are going ok. Currently a side which is competing with us for that spot in the finals.

One of my biggest concern is that we may have been worked out. Teams are going to the effort of applying extreme tackling pressure if the ball is kept in close and offensively they are going to the effort to get the ball out wide and into space. This takes away our clearance and contested game while it exposes our lack of pace on the inside. This is definitely the game plan teams are successfully using against us however you have to be good enough and quick enough to implement it successfully.

I like going back to one ruck. DeKoning will do well I think. Doesn't have to win a heap of taps but if he jumps into Witts all day then that takes away Witts' control and makes the contest a 50/50.

Things I'd like to see. Walsh getting more ball forward side of stoppages and in the field. I'd rather see him get 25 possessions and be really damaging than get 40 but have no real impact on the game.

Forward momentum at stoppages. We're slow, get our big bodies moving forward and keep the ball going forward. Crash and bash and keep it simple. We're good when our mids are moving and we get the ball out in front of them. Standing, wrestling and keeping it in close will see us lose again.

We have picked 8 defenders, 9 if you count Williams? Or will one be sub or will one be played in another position?

Could we see Cincotta or Cowan join the onball group? Something needs to change in there. Teams are going to eat us alive with Hewett, Kennedy and Cripps plodding around in there. Are we going to do what the better teams have done and discover and utilise them as pressure mids?

We have some options to go through the middle. Fogarty and Hollands. I hope we use them.

Legs peed, intensity, closing speed, tackling and pressure have not been qualities of our midfield but if that were to change we will finally get to use the talent in our defence and become a good rebounding side.

McKay in the ruck. Gee he was good in there early, they we f***ed it all up by bringing Pittonet in. Took away two things that were working and added to our slow lack of run issue. Not our coaches finest moments that one.

We can win this one. I expect us to. But that doesn't mean it will be easy. Suns can play, they have grown up finally and are a threat to make finals. Our season on the other hand hangs in the balance. Lose and I think we will probably miss finals.
A) when pitt came in and we had two rucks didnt everyone love it? Thought it worked well especially against melb.

B) the season
Is way too tight for ours to be over if we lose this week.

Given Calebs history and how we've communicated his injuries in the past it could well come out in the next couple of days that he's injured something.

If it's not an injury, then it could be part of a longer-term fitness plan for him. He's actually played 2 games, no 1 like people are saying - One in the VFL then one AFL. It could be loading him up, then a break, then increase the load on the backend with an eye on the bye in the near future as another break.

Yes. That’s what I think they’re doing. They’re genuinely managing him in the hope he’s fully fit come finals time. I could easily see him back in the team next week.

Having said that, the fact we haven’t figured out Marchy means he’s a likely candidate for the cutting board comes year’s end.

Don't worry, you don't need speed, you only need big bodies that can kick. I read it on bigfooty, has to be true.
If you could amend that to "you only need big bodies" then I think we're cruising... ;)

Last edited:
This may get a laugh but I reckon he is almost our most important player - certainly the hardest to replace.
Nah, Weiters then Daylight.

Weiters IS our backline structure. Most important player in our team, which is why i'm clenching hard every bruise he gets. We SERIOUSLY need another Key back. Young & Durdin aren't helping our cause remaining on our list.

Fog in means pressure. Also I know Saad is important with his sideways running and dinky in field kicks but I would love him a bit more to run straight and deliver in F 50. Go Blues.

Spot on….

He likes to swing his left leg around from the side to get more power into his kicks.

He is another like Walsh that is more focussed on getting penetration with his kicks as opposed to precision passing.

You look at Boyd’s kicks his body is aligned directly with his intended target. Not only is he very accurate he also looks for a spare man to pass to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back