VFL 2024 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

He played. Seemed to be at half-back (although I didn’t see the entire match).

Nothing to suggest he’s progressing at North.
I thought he was ordinary. He played a lot of VFL for us last year and, while his disposal often let him down, he was a ball magnet, especially at centre bounces, he used his speed and he was a strong tackler. I guess he wasn't afforded the same opportunity by North to start at centre bounces today, but apart from a couple of nice kicks that found targets, he wasn't someone you'd look enviously at, wishing he were playing for our VFL team. There were a few playing for North who I did wish that of (excluding the developing forward line talent that is clearly AFL calibre but just needs more time - like Duursma, Ford). The ex-Saints defender controlled their backline and thwarted many of our attacking moves. And their main midfield mover (whose name has escaped me right now and I can't be bothered to go and look up) was clearly BOG for me (from either team).

Snell, Cleary, Kirk for first year listed players all showing positive signs for the future. Good to see.
Further to this, based on comments and general match reports, conversely 2nd and 3rd year players Magor, Vickery, Konstanty and McAndrew haven't seemed to make a jump in performance this season?

Can't recall any of them being spoken about in glowing terms here or among the best on ground for more than say one match if that. Would like to be told otherwise from any folks here who have watched more of the reserves than me.

Lack of game time for Buller and Arnold so far to have any opinion on improvement or otherwise.

Warner Jr and Mitchell have done enough to please the coaching panel they are worthy of seniors if needed and lots of comments on here that Edwards has progressed well this season.

Further to this, based on comments and general match reports, conversely 2nd and 3rd year players Magor, Vickery, Konstanty and McAndrew haven't seemed to make a jump in performance this season?

Can't recall any of them being spoken about in glowing terms here or among the best on ground for more than say one match if that. Would like to be told otherwise from any folks here who have watched more of the reserves than me.

Lack of game time for Buller and Arnold so far to have any opinion on improvement or otherwise.

Warner Jr and Mitchell have done enough to please the coaching panel they are worthy of seniors if needed and lots of comments on here that Edwards has progressed well this season.
I haven’t seen performances that suggest any of Magor, Vickery or McAndrew will definitely be extended - which is a bit of a shame. Based purely on list numbers, I’d reckon maybe 1 of the 3 gets a new contract.

Konstanty has improved, albeit he’s still not standing out at VFL level. I suspect he’ll be on an AFL list next year courtesy of his high draft position - just not entirely sure if it’ll be the Swans.

I’d be surprised if Buller and Arnold aren’t both delisted at year end.

Edwards has been a notable improver this year. Snell looks promising. Cleary might debut this year. Not convinced re: Kirk yet, but he has a bit of time on his side.

Overall, I think your summation is fair.

Just watched the last 5 minutes of the reserves stream.
Appalling skills from both teams.
Parker been brought down to a different level unfortunately for him.
Doing him no favours for a recall anytime soon based on this crap.
Campbell next in line IMO.
Parker tagged pretty hard all day. The midfield were pretty strong but who do you drop to make way for any of them and where would they play. Parker forward? Campbell defence, wing, forward? None of them are going inside IMO

I think Campbell showed his quality at this level with his run and attacking kicking. I felt that we needed that in our VFL midfield earlier in the season.

I think we are lucky to have a few of that type of player on our list. Given there are other AFL sides with one paced midfields that lack that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a bit distracted watching this match, especially during the first half, so my comments are a bit sketchy. I'll offer them even still:

Was a good contest, close all day. Opposition put up a good fight. Exciting, close finish (especially since we prevailed). Possibly we made harder work of it than we should have although I'm not exactly sure why. We had more AFL listed players and we out-tackled them but only just got over the line. While I thought our VFL and top-up players did well perhaps there is just a higher standard of VFL/top-up player available when you're in Victoria/Melbourne.

Campbell was easily our best ball user. He is well and truly a class above VFL level, by hand and by foot. If he spends long at VFL level he'll have to look at moving to another club. It was by no means his best game at the level but he just oozes class, especially when he is kicking on his left.

You have to concentrate hard to discern the value inside mids are offering at the best of times and thanks to my distractedness, I didn't really register Cleary's work. He just seemed busy when I did notice him.

Acting Captain Kirk had one of his better games, straight back from a concussion related week off. I like him but I don't know how he survives at season's end. Will be very impressive if he sees off Konstanty, Vickery and Magor. As for those guys they were ok but not more. Magor had some flashy ball use and rebounding. Konstanty and Vickery weren't bad but they were pretty anonymous.

Ladhams is a mercurial player and this was one of his better days, although even there it was variable. As someone already pointed out, one of the commentators took to referring to Good Pete and Bad Pete. After one Bad Pete moment resulted in a turnover and then goal, h said something about "Curtis (?) makes Bad Pete pay" and then Gemma Bastiani mumbled "that's a bit cruel". Anyway, Ladhams was everywhere and got a lot of ball. Unfortunately he didn't always use it very well. Did pretty well in the ruck. He easily outplayed the opposing ruck (Sam Hayes, formerly of Port now seemingly only VFL-listed) although he didn't win as many hit outs.

Speaking of Bastiani's commentary, it was very good as usual but it errs on the side of being charitable (for which she is to be commended I suppose) but I sometimes wish she were a bit more blunt.

McAndrew seemed to do well for the 5 minutes he was on the field. Likely to miss a week with concussion protocols, hopefully only one.

With McAndrew's absence Green still didn't do much rucking. But he had numerous moments that make me really excited about his future. His 1-wood (rucking, contested marking, winning clearances etc) has a long way to go. But there's every reason to think he'll get there and he's got the other stuff that other ruckmen often don't. He's a proper footballer with footy smarts (like Nankervis was). He's relatively good at ground level. He uses the ball pretty well by hand and by foot. He's also willing to work hard and apply himself defensively. For now it seems we're just letting him develop leisurely, playing mostly back and forward. (More forward against North.) It's going to take a little while but it's looking like when he gets there he'll have been worth the wait.

The Hamling experiment forward is no longer an experiment. After a long career with zero goals at AFL level, a handful in the WAFL and I'm not sure how many previously in the VFL (he played for the Bulldogs 2015-2016 only and spent half his time in seniors) he has suddenly discovered both an ability and, seemingly, an appetite for playing as a full forward. Given we have plenty of defenders and few tall forwards (with Reid and Buller injured we have basically none), this shift forward could run awhile. I personally find it hard to imagine a scenario where he is selected to play forward at AFL level but it's not inconceivable if there are injuries. Even in this game he swung back at key moments. Anyway, Hamling's transformation into a KPF makes me a lot happier about having him on our list (which I had been feeling a bit glum about given the pressure on list spots). I feel now he can give us good value both through his play and through his experience and leadership until his contract runs out end of next year.

I did not know Parker had that in him! I've seen him kick any number of creative goals but I did not imagine him kicking one from 60 with a crowded goal square (and, luckily for us, nobody on the goal line). Real captain's goal (I know he wasn't (officially) captain). Stood up when it counted. It was also interesting to speculate about the impact his being on the field had on the other players. I wondered "does Ladhams restrain himself a little more if Parker is there? Does someone like Cleary or Kirk work any harder to impress?"

Snell and Edwards were fine but didn't stand out. I thought last week was the best game I have seen from Edwards. Overall they were part of a fairly reliable back 6.

Our VFL players did well, especially Geddes, but also Endemann to a lesser extent. Edwards has been solid. Bartholomaeus had a slow start to the season but is improving. The new backman (Laws?) had a couple of useful defensive moments. Lugsdin had much less impact than his previous games (especially his last). Moi Moi has been a valuable attacking weapon for us this season. Smit had a good second game.

Dubai Quacker I agree with you that, just due to the premium on list spots, you would think that two of Konstanty, Vickery and Magor would not survive past the end of the season (given it's looking likely that Mitchell will). Nor have their performances been too strong to resist. However we invested relatively high picks (top 30) in Konstanty and Vickery and they haven't yet had that much opportunity plus they're so young.... so I hesitate. Magor I'm more willing to let go of. He's good at VFL level but doesn't look especially like having a big future in the AFL.

I can't help but thinking that the answer to alleviating pressure on list spots will be answered, at least in part, by trading out some players (or letting them leave). It's really hard to think of Parker at another club but, especially while he's not being selected for seniors and he has another year on his contract, perhaps it could make most sense for him and for us? I can't see how we can justify keeping both Parker and Adams, especially when we have the likes of Sheldrick missing out on games. Otherwise maybe we will have to trade Sheldrick (in which case I hope we get a really good return for him). Sheldrick can't keep languishing in reserves. At this point in time I would rather keep Sheldrick than Parker. However, even if, say, Parker retires or moves clubs, Sheldrick would still not be assured of a game. There is no room for him in the current team and Mills is still to return. It's a good problem to have - but no less vexing for that.

Another player that could be traded out (if he has suitors) would be Corey Warner. It seems that maybe Mitchell is going past him, or at least plays a similar role and has more unexplored upside (and a smaller salary). But, unlike Sheldrick, I'm less confident that Corey will have suitors.

Looking ahead, we have a critical match this week against Frankston. It would be nice to beat someone higher than us on the ladder (which we haven't achieved so far). And, if we can get over them, then hopefully we can also account for the spoon-hungry Bullants and go into the bye on high. After the bye we play consecutive top 4 teams (based on current ladder) so these next couple of matches are really important for our hopes of playing finals.

Cheer! Cheer!

Kirk looks a good on field leader and can't even describe why, good energy, pumping others up, looked like his dad in that regard.

I think Parker though had a massive influence on them all, so was arguably captain anyway by default . Must be a thrill for these guys to play with him

I was a bit distracted watching this match, especially during the first half, so my comments are a bit sketchy. I'll offer them even still:

Was a good contest, close all day. Opposition put up a good fight. Exciting, close finish (especially since we prevailed). Possibly we made harder work of it than we should have although I'm not exactly sure why. We had more AFL listed players and we out-tackled them but only just got over the line. While I thought our VFL and top-up players did well perhaps there is just a higher standard of VFL/top-up player available when you're in Victoria/Melbourne.

Campbell was easily our best ball user. He is well and truly a class above VFL level, by hand and by foot. If he spends long at VFL level he'll have to look at moving to another club. It was by no means his best game at the level but he just oozes class, especially when he is kicking on his left.

You have to concentrate hard to discern the value inside mids are offering at the best of times and thanks to my distractedness, I didn't really register Cleary's work. He just seemed busy when I did notice him.

Acting Captain Kirk had one of his better games, straight back from a concussion related week off. I like him but I don't know how he survives at season's end. Will be very impressive if he sees off Konstanty, Vickery and Magor. As for those guys they were ok but not more. Magor had some flashy ball use and rebounding. Konstanty and Vickery weren't bad but they were pretty anonymous.

Ladhams is a mercurial player and this was one of his better days, although even there it was variable. As someone already pointed out, one of the commentators took to referring to Good Pete and Bad Pete. After one Bad Pete moment resulted in a turnover and then goal, h said something about "Curtis (?) makes Bad Pete pay" and then Gemma Bastiani mumbled "that's a bit cruel". Anyway, Ladhams was everywhere and got a lot of ball. Unfortunately he didn't always use it very well. Did pretty well in the ruck. He easily outplayed the opposing ruck (Sam Hayes, formerly of Port now seemingly only VFL-listed) although he didn't win as many hit outs.

Speaking of Bastiani's commentary, it was very good as usual but it errs on the side of being charitable (for which she is to be commended I suppose) but I sometimes wish she were a bit more blunt.

McAndrew seemed to do well for the 5 minutes he was on the field. Likely to miss a week with concussion protocols, hopefully only one.

With McAndrew's absence Green still didn't do much rucking. But he had numerous moments that make me really excited about his future. His 1-wood (rucking, contested marking, winning clearances etc) has a long way to go. But there's every reason to think he'll get there and he's got the other stuff that other ruckmen often don't. He's a proper footballer with footy smarts (like Nankervis was). He's relatively good at ground level. He uses the ball pretty well by hand and by foot. He's also willing to work hard and apply himself defensively. For now it seems we're just letting him develop leisurely, playing mostly back and forward. (More forward against North.) It's going to take a little while but it's looking like when he gets there he'll have been worth the wait.

The Hamling experiment forward is no longer an experiment. After a long career with zero goals at AFL level, a handful in the WAFL and I'm not sure how many previously in the VFL (he played for the Bulldogs 2015-2016 only and spent half his time in seniors) he has suddenly discovered both an ability and, seemingly, an appetite for playing as a full forward. Given we have plenty of defenders and few tall forwards (with Reid and Buller injured we have basically none), this shift forward could run awhile. I personally find it hard to imagine a scenario where he is selected to play forward at AFL level but it's not inconceivable if there are injuries. Even in this game he swung back at key moments. Anyway, Hamling's transformation into a KPF makes me a lot happier about having him on our list (which I had been feeling a bit glum about given the pressure on list spots). I feel now he can give us good value both through his play and through his experience and leadership until his contract runs out end of next year.

I did not know Parker had that in him! I've seen him kick any number of creative goals but I did not imagine him kicking one from 60 with a crowded goal square (and, luckily for us, nobody on the goal line). Real captain's goal (I know he wasn't (officially) captain). Stood up when it counted. It was also interesting to speculate about the impact his being on the field had on the other players. I wondered "does Ladhams restrain himself a little more if Parker is there? Does someone like Cleary or Kirk work any harder to impress?"

Snell and Edwards were fine but didn't stand out. I thought last week was the best game I have seen from Edwards. Overall they were part of a fairly reliable back 6.

Our VFL players did well, especially Geddes, but also Endemann to a lesser extent. Edwards has been solid. Bartholomaeus had a slow start to the season but is improving. The new backman (Laws?) had a couple of useful defensive moments. Lugsdin had much less impact than his previous games (especially his last). Moi Moi has been a valuable attacking weapon for us this season. Smit had a good second game.

Dubai Quacker I agree with you that, just due to the premium on list spots, you would think that two of Konstanty, Vickery and Magor would not survive past the end of the season (given it's looking likely that Mitchell will). Nor have their performances been too strong to resist. However we invested relatively high picks (top 30) in Konstanty and Vickery and they haven't yet had that much opportunity plus they're so young.... so I hesitate. Magor I'm more willing to let go of. He's good at VFL level but doesn't look especially like having a big future in the AFL.

I can't help but thinking that the answer to alleviating pressure on list spots will be answered, at least in part, by trading out some players (or letting them leave). It's really hard to think of Parker at another club but, especially while he's not being selected for seniors and he has another year on his contract, perhaps it could make most sense for him and for us? I can't see how we can justify keeping both Parker and Adams, especially when we have the likes of Sheldrick missing out on games. Otherwise maybe we will have to trade Sheldrick (in which case I hope we get a really good return for him). Sheldrick can't keep languishing in reserves. At this point in time I would rather keep Sheldrick than Parker. However, even if, say, Parker retires or moves clubs, Sheldrick would still not be assured of a game. There is no room for him in the current team and Mills is still to return. It's a good problem to have - but no less vexing for that.

Another player that could be traded out (if he has suitors) would be Corey Warner. It seems that maybe Mitchell is going past him, or at least plays a similar role and has more unexplored upside (and a smaller salary). But, unlike Sheldrick, I'm less confident that Corey will have suitors.

Looking ahead, we have a critical match this week against Frankston. It would be nice to beat someone higher than us on the ladder (which we haven't achieved so far). And, if we can get over them, then hopefully we can also account for the spoon-hungry Bullants and go into the bye on high. After the bye we play consecutive top 4 teams (based on current ladder) so these next couple of matches are really important for our hopes of playing finals.

Cheer! Cheer!
Stranger things have happened than defenders being discovered as forwards, or vice versa (we usually do this and much earlier than with Hamling moving forward).

It's just VFL level, and too early to suggest Hamling would be better than alternatives, even Francis, up forward at senior level, but it's possible. Especially in a more defensive tall role where he both tries to nullify a KPD who might otherwise intercept a lot, and try to kick a couple the other way.

Also, he's no long term prospect, but it's handy to find out over the next few years.

Shane Ellen, had kicked 3 goals in 38 games as a defender, at his 2nd club after being delisted, until the 97 grand final where he kicked 5.

CLUB'S MATCH REPORT

A monster 75m goal from Luke Parker in the dying stages has inspired the Sydney Swans to an enthralling victory over North Melbourne in Round 7 of the VFL, cementing their place

Luke Jackson says hi

I took Wheresbuddy to mean out of the players that aren't legit second rucks i.e. where the team is not playing a two ruck set-up but has a KPP ready to "chop out" when the main ruck needs a spell. Don't think Jackson fits that definition because he is a legit first ruck.

CLUB'S MATCH REPORT

A monster 75m goal from Luke Parker in the dying stages has inspired the Sydney Swans to an enthralling victory over North Melbourne in Round 7 of the VFL, cementing their place

That tale has grown in the telling. Already!

I took Wheresbuddy to mean out of the players that aren't legit second rucks i.e. where the team is not playing a two ruck set-up but has a KPP ready to "chop out" when the main ruck needs a spell. Don't think Jackson fits that definition because he is a legit first ruck.
Yep, exactly where I was coming from. Jackson is a ruck, first and foremost. Most probably up there as the best resting ruck - forward in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back