Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Fred Perry Black polo shirts with yellow piping and crossed oak leaves on the breast is the favoured uniform for the Proud Boys regarded as an extreme right wing ultra nationalist political movement and strong anti feminists.

(My understanding so feel free to correct me if I have any of that wrong).

The owners of the "Fred Perry" label first requested that Proud Boys stop wearing and promoting their polo's and then withdrew that particular shirt from sale, when the request was ignored, not wanting their brand to be associated with the Proud Boys group or philosophy.

I'm guessing Caro really isn't the Proud Boys type of woman (ie one employed to give strong opinions).

I have a similar RFC polo, black with yellow piping (X2) around the sleeves. Instead of the oak leaves mine has the Tigers logo. I confess I'm less sure about wearing it out now. I doubt the club uses Fred Perry lol

They should. Fred Perry tigers tops would be quality

Stil reckon hes a third tall ala bailey fridsh

Missed chance not trading him time..

Thought Caddy looked in good form the first couple of weeks. Dropped off pretty badly but still reckon he would be a good option up forward. Jack and Lynch seem to be struggling in the air and another crafty aerial potential down there wouldn’t hurt at all IMO

Is he injured atm or just written off entirely?
Missed vfl last week with soreness but was very good on Saturday.

I think if dimma was going to play another marking target it'd be ccj so he can ruck too but for some reason he won't give it a go.

Contracted until 22 and doesn’t have great trade value so imo will be at Tigerland next year

Was good Saturday in a midfield role looked very invested.

Not best 22 but good depth player. Has deficiencies (speed and endurance) but we know he can play a role at the top level

Missed vfl last week with soreness but was very good on Saturday.

I think if dimma was going to play another marking target it'd be ccj so he can ruck too but for some reason he won't give it a go.
Dimma seems reluctant to play another tall.

Caddy could play as a third tall rotating through the middle if needed (same role as he played in the VFL), and Lynch could go into the ruck more.

Contracted until 22 and doesn’t have great trade value so imo will be at Tigerland next year

Was good Saturday in a midfield role looked very invested.

Not best 22 but good depth player. Has deficiencies (speed and endurance) but we know he can play a role at the top level

Moving into list blocker territory

Stil reckon hes a third tall ala bailey fridsh
Correct! Half forward who comes up the ground and demands the footy but can also be a dangerous marking option i50. Our forward line has gone from chaos to about as 1 dimensional as it gets. Can't rely on our mids to kick all our goals every week, we need some extra firepower in there.

If ccj is seen as too slow and lumbering won't be easy for caddy to get it.

Being behind Aarts isn't a good sign.

Aarts is safe IMO (and justifiably so much to my surprise).
But the forward/mid role is still open in Lambert's absence (especially given Baker's amazing midfield transition).
Caddy is not super quick, but nor is he slow, and he is a superb kick and mark who know how to find the ball on the forward line.
I accept he is not A grade midfield material, but he can pinch hit there adequately IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still love Caddy anyway. Have always felt it was the balls and border line psycho aggression he brought to the team which made a big difference in 2017...still my favourite year. Also liked how he overcame his initial tiger yips to become a reliable goal kicker. Could see how aspects of his approach could put him offside with coaches/club. Can't say myself if he's best 22 or not...and know I can't rely on bf opinions...it would be a shame if he isn't anymore. Couldn't be a good sign for any player to be looking for a 4th AFL club...GC perhaps? I for one hope he can do what is necessary to be back in the best 22 for another flag...at richmond that is.

Has Caddy every played as a defender?

I worry about our defense at times. To me we are weak in certain areas. Stack is an obvious option in the future but has Caddy ever played in defense on smaller/mid types?

Could Vlastuin help him? At the very least it would make him more versatile. I know he was caught out with Nik Cox like some others but Cox had simply too much reach and was a matchup nightmare so I am ignoring that contest.

I am assuming he has played mid/forward most, if not all, of his life so any competitive advantage he may have as a defender in certain scenarios has not been tapped into

Last edited:
good versatile player, still in our best 25 which means still in our starting line up most weeks considering injuries, freshen ups etc....needs to make an impact, better player than aarts but by gee aarts aint giving up his spot in a hurry on current form.

But he is the wrong age group. Not best 22 and being well paid.

From a list management perspective he isn't a good contract.

It's very good to have someone as good as caddy to call on when injuries hit however tbf

Have said it before and will say it again. The most disappointing player we have on the list. Is playing roles atm that should be going to kids.

The last place i want to see him play is on the wing what a joke.

The best he has done for us is 2018 when he played mostly forward and managed to kick 46 goals at 2 a game. A very good return.
The trouble playing him forward is his total lack of pace and the very real need to get games into a young CC-J.We also just went and recruited a quick agile 191cm fwd in Parker id say Caddy is not in the picture for the role.

If he could go into the midfield and play mostly inside win his share of contested ball throw his big body around and lay some decent tackles and win the odd clearance then by all means play him. The trouble with that is i would prefer we get games into the likes of RCD Dow and Martyn.

Just a few stats
2020 8 games, 12.5 disposals, 0.25 goals, 1.75 tackles, 2.63 if, 0.88 clearances, 3.63 cp, 0.75 cm, 0.63 mi,0.23 1%.
2021 6 games, 16.1 disposals,0.33 goals, 1.50 tackles, 2.33 if, 0.33 clearances. 3.83 cp, 0.00 cm, 0.50 mi, 1.5 1%.

He could not be more underwhelming statistically and it just confirms what we actually see.

does anyone actually know what amount his contract is worth?
Was a significant get for us.
Helped us achieve our peak.
Now is surplus to our needs.

I liked him.
Unfortunately he cant command a spot in our forward line and is too slow elsewhere.

To be honest he is slow in the vfl as well.
3rd round pick is about where I see his worth.

He has been worth well more than that to richmond. Unfortunately foe him is he has no height pace or strength. He's now just a run of the mill player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back