Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was good vs Adelaide and reasonable vs Essendon. I was glad he and kamdyn hit the scoreboard in that last game. He really has good sense for kicking goals.
But we saw HRS kick goals too. So there are replacements on our list.
If someone were to take Caddy and his salary off our hands it would be okay. But I doubt if the young player we took on would be doing anything other than playing VFL.
Be interesting to see if Parker can get a game. He looked like a wing/ hff with real attack.
Kamdyn can look a bit lost too

Hasn’t Caddy resigned since his original contract with us? Wouldn’t be on as much as original contract.

He is a third tall who knows how to snag a goal.
He is contracted until 22. Good money 500k plus I thought. So, if he hasn't consolidated his position by years end, it would be worth doing a 'Treloar' to free some salary cap.

I really like Caddy as a player...when he's played in the right spot: medium forward or inside midfielder. He can accumulate plenty of the ball on the wing, but if he's opponent has some toe he will get burnt going the other way all day. McIntosh and Pickett (and others) are far better at the defensive running. Caddy is noticeably better in the second half when a lot of the pace has gone out of the game.

He's tough, smart, uses the ball well and is deadly around goals, but I just don't think there's a spot for him with a full injury-free list.

If we do land Cerra and continue to play 3 talls then Caddy must go even if it's just a salary dump for nothing.
What's a salary dump for nothing? Caddy has to be paid regardless. Even if he was to head for another club we'd find ourselves footing near half the cost. We'd also have to replace him with a minimum cost player at least.

What's a salary dump for nothing? Caddy has to be paid regardless. Even if he was to head for another club we'd find ourselves footing near half the cost. We'd also have to replace him with a minimum cost player at least.
As in we trade him for below market value to a club that is willing to pay his whole salary.

It is not impossible a club would take on all or most of Caddy's salary for us if they get him for nothing pick wise. Hugh Greenwood is probably some sort of precedent for him in that regard, where a young team with loads of developing players uses some cap space on a slightly limited mature player with a strong body. North Melbourne might be an obvious club who could use a player like Caddy and easily afford his salary.

It is not impossible a club would take on all or most of Caddy's salary for us if they get him for nothing pick wise. Hugh Greenwood is probably some sort of precedent for him in that regard, where a young team with loads of developing players uses some cap space on a slightly limited mature player with a strong body. North Melbourne might be an obvious club who could use a player like Caddy and easily afford his salary.
Port did it with Lobbe to Carlton.

I really like Caddy as a player...when he's played in the right spot: medium forward or inside midfielder. He can accumulate plenty of the ball on the wing, but if he's opponent has some toe he will get burnt going the other way all day. McIntosh and Pickett (and others) are far better at the defensive running. Caddy is noticeably better in the second half when a lot of the pace has gone out of the game.

He's tough, smart, uses the ball well and is deadly around goals, but I just don't think there's a spot for him with a full injury-free list.

this. I don’t think any other clubs apart from bottom dwellers with cap space would want him. At his age if the offer came I’d take it. Would love to keep him though he’s a great utility player

I'm the same. I've always liked his versatility in being able to play forward and kick a couple or play mid.

I thought he could become a bull inside kid for us but that hasn't happened.

I do think though that in order for us to win the GF this year, we may need to go a bit retro all the way back to 17 and introduce a Townsend type defensive player down forward who can man up against the defensive intercept mark and keep him out of the game. Like a Lever. Or a Stewart from the Cats. I reckon Caddy can play that role for us. The only way we can pull off such a role though is for a small forwards to crank it up a few gears and really amp up the pressure.

Caddy as the defensive forward works for me for the remainder of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm the same. I've always liked his versatility in being able to play forward and kick a couple or play mid.

I thought he could become a bull inside kid for us but that hasn't happened.

I do think though that in order for us to win the GF this year, we may need to go a bit retro all the way back to 17 and introduce a Townsend type defensive player down forward who can man up against the defensive intercept mark and keep him out of the game. Like a Lever. Or a Stewart from the Cats. I reckon Caddy can play that role for us. The only way we can pull off such a role though is for a small forwards to crank it up a few gears and really amp up the pressure.

Caddy as the defensive forward works for me for the remainder of the year.
Would rather see Lynch and CCJ together with Jack doing the team stuff. He would be as good as Caddy at it but with a higher hurt value/offensive side.
Jack will play any role needed these days. Third tall and making the Lever's of the comp not get it all their own way, instead of the other way round, reckon he would take the challenge.

Would rather see Lynch and CCJ together with Jack doing the team stuff. He would be as good as Caddy at it but with a higher hurt value/offensive side.
Jack will play any role needed these days. Third tall and making the Lever's of the comp not get it all their own way, instead of the other way round, reckon he would take the challenge.

There's no way we can fit in Lynch, Jack and CCJ and still apply the necessary pressure in the forward line. Way to top heavy with all 3 imo.

There's no way we can fit in Lynch, Jack and CCJ and still apply the necessary pressure in the forward line. Way to top heavy with all 3 imo.
we did it in 2019 and half of 2020...

Lynch , JR , Nank , Soldo

vs

Lynch , JR , Nank , CJ

Just replacing Soldo with CJ...

Just need to remember they are not all on the ground at the same time

we did it in 2019 and half of 2020...

Lynch , JR , Nank , Soldo

vs

Lynch , JR , Nank , CJ

Just replacing Soldo with CJ...

Just need to remember they are not all on the ground at the same time

Yes but I think the game has changed with the rule changes. Run is critical now as the ball is moved end to end.

Yes but I think the game has changed with the rule changes. Run is critical now as the ball is moved end to end.
3 talls helps our I50 entries...

When it's only two, we bomb it in and Lynch and Jack just get doubled, or triple teamed.
With a third tall, teams can't do that or they get burnt.
And if they are manned up instead of dropping off, it actually creates MORE space I50 rather than less... So even with one less small guy, the remaining 3 will find more space to work into and be dangerous...

Jack is better all round than Caddy and no less mobile and overall I would say a better pressure player. I have been previously with you on all three, but if CCJ plays deep and Lynch gets on his bike at CH, Jack has great aerobic capacity to cover ground, pressure and present from all directions. I think it is worth a try at some stage, won't be for a while anyway.

3 talls helps our I50 entries...

When it's only two, we bomb it in and Lynch and Jack just get doubled, or triple teamed.
With a third tall, teams can't do that or they get burnt.
And if they are manned up instead of dropping off, it actually creates MORE space I50 rather than less... So even with one less small guy, the remaining 3 will find more space to work into and be dangerous...
Not only that but if Jack was released to a more mobile 3rd forward, he and Lynch could both play as high forwards, which would help our forward entries. Jack can mark from any direction as he showed a week or so ago, and is smarter that 99% of defenders.

He's still way too slow on the wing, even when the pace is out of the game - you want your wingers more then ever at that point to have pace. He's still best 22 though and I believe that is as a forward/ midfielder which I probably sound like a broken record about now. Very smart around goals and has a great kick. His midfield bursts are good too.

On SEN Dimma mentioned his plan was to eventually have us running the tall forward line, so I don't see how Caddy couldn't be in there at least for the short term.

I still think we need to play a defensive player on the Lever's and Stewart's...particularly in finals. They can't be left to take intercept marks and set up play once they get it. I see Caddy as the bloke who can play that Townsend type role. Don't forget Townsend kicked a bucket load of goals playing in that defensive role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back