Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

You were already shown that he has 2.91sec speed over 20m but keep peddling the line that he has not speed.

Ross debuted after Cotchin went out of the side through injury. In fact he debuted in a game where there was no Cotchin or Martin and Caddy was playing his first game for the season. So please tell us again how Ross came into support Cotchin and because Caddy wasn't good enough.

Once again, I never said Caddy would be playing as a big bodied midfielder, I said he is a bigger bodied player than the current defensive winger we use in Ellis.
Ross would walk into our side today and showed that he’s probably the best BBMF we’ve got.Ross like Graham in 2017 was always going to be playing games and his VFL numbers were also suggesting this. Do you reckon he wouldn’t get a game today? Nonsense on stilts.
As I said Graham out performed Caddy in the midfield and is still keeping him out and by the clubs reports it looks like he won’t be getting opposition from Caddy in that spot.
As for the stats on Caddy’s Pre Draft I stated he was well advanced than most kids at the same age, but as CM clearly stated it was his repeat efforts. The gripe on him at the time was athleticism and pace and in time against the men it would catch up with him .Are you trying to tell us all he has pace? lol 😂 lol 😂 any observer knows he’s a plodder compared to most players of his size in the afl system. 😂 😂
Caddy has survived bc he has footy smarts and is a strong unit and a good mark.
Now stop clinging onto mud as the club has aborted the idea that he’s a BBMF for the time been.
I should have given up debating with you when you introduced Sheds and Lambo into the BBMF discussion.
Cmon RT spare us and stop trying to muddy the waters as it’s all clear as day why the club are drastically working with him on another role.

Last edited:
Ross would walk into our side today and showed that he’s probably the best BBMF we’ve got.Ross like Graham in 2017 was always going to be playing games and his VFL numbers were also suggesting this. Do you reckon he wouldn’t get a game today? Nonsense on stilts.
As I said Graham out performed Caddy in the midfield and is still keeping him out and by the clubs reports it looks like he won’t be getting opposition from Caddy in that spot.
As for the stats on Caddy’s Pre Draft I stated he was well advanced than most kids at the same age, but as CM clearly stated it was his repeat efforts. The gripe on him at the time was athleticism and pace and in time against the men it would catch up with him .Are you trying to tell us all he has pace? lol 😂 lol 😂 any observer knows he’s a plodder compared to most players of his size in the afl system. 😂 😂
Now stop clinging onto mud as the club has aborted the idea that he’s a BBMF for the time been.
I should have given up debating with you when you introduced Sheds and Lambo into the BBMF discussion.
Cmon RT spare us and stop trying to muddy the waters as it’s all clear as day why the club are drastically working with him on another role.
Tiger ......I agree Caddy is not a midfielder imo. He has a big body and grunt but Caddy’s best and only position in the tigers AFL team is forward of the ball. Be it at chf or forward pocket.
But rumours suggest they’re priming Caddy to play behind the ball.

Tiger ......I agree Caddy is not a midfielder imo. He has a big body and grunt but Caddy’s best and only position in the tigers AFL team is forward of the ball. Be it at chf or forward pocket.
But rumours suggest they’re priming Caddy to play behind the ball.
I value your opinion, but I actually think the forward position at RFC has sailed by with Lynch and the emergence of Chol. Playing him behind the ball is almost substituting his role with a combo KMac / Flossy role which sounds ludicrous as he’s slow as xxxx going down a 1:100 pipeline. If they can do as CM mentioned and get him to lose some upper body weight and add some leg speed routines for athletes he may still make it as a BBMF which I think is his best role. I really can’t find another spot for him until this ever happens.

You're the one muddying the waters.

I stated that Caddys best seasons at Geelong were 2014-2016 when he played mainly as a midfielder.

I stated that I believe he'll be able to make the transition into a defensive winger role once he learns our structures and set ups in the midfield, which he'll do because he is a smart footballer(something you've just stated is one of his strengths)

I never brought Sheds and Lambert into the BBMF discussion, I mentioned them as aging players who are part of the midfield and will need replacing in time. Guys like Ross and RCD could be used in those roles.

Caddy is being kept out of the side because he is being developed in another role, which we can do at VFL level without it hurting the performance of the AFL side.

If Ross was fit he'd probably still be in the side, but to suggest he was brought in to assist Cotchin was wrong and given he hasn't even played a game along side Cotchin yet we won't know what his role will be when both are in the side. Could be support or it could be as part of the second unit when Cotchin Martin & Prestia aren't in there.

I value your opinion, but I actually think the forward position at RFC has sailed by with Lynch and the emergence of Chol. Playing him behind the ball is almost substituting his role with a combo KMac / Flossy role which sounds ludicrous as he’s slow as xxxx going down a 1:100 pipeline. If they can do as CM mentioned and get him to lose some upper body weight and add some leg speed routines for athletes he may still make it as a BBMF which I think is his best role. I really can’t find another spot for him until this ever happens.
You know he kicked 46 goals last year? Dimma trying to make something of him that he is not? he really has goalsmarts, is a great kick at goal and a great market for his size.
Only thing he lacks is speed but who cares when he creates scoreboard pressure. I don’t think he will be fast enough for a mid, even if he loses weight, he is more of a natural tank/bulldozer than a car.

You know he kicked 46 goals last year? Dimma trying to make something of him that he is not? he really has goalsmarts, is a great kick at goal and a great market for his size.
Only thing he lacks is speed but who cares when he creates scoreboard pressure. I don’t think he will be fast enough for a mid, even if he loses weight, he is more of a natural tank/bulldozer than a car.
I know he’s been a great servant as a spare part tall forward, but I think his spots have closed on him bc of his height and pace. We will need to wait and see what happens with him.

That's the thing, not everyone needs to have blinding speed to be effective in the midfield. If a player is still chugging away late in games when other blokes are running on fumes they come into their own. Prestia isn't overly quick, but he just keeps on chugging away, no reason Caddy can't do the same. Playing on the wing, it's not like he won't he able to drift forward when we have the ball and become another marking option as well.

That's the thing, not everyone needs to have blinding speed to be effective in the midfield. If a player is still chugging away late in games when other blokes are running on fumes they come into their own. Prestia isn't overly quick, but he just keeps on chugging away, no reason Caddy can't do the same. Playing on the wing, it's not like he won't he able to drift forward when we have the ball and become another marking option as well.
My argument for that is why would you play a player who is a natural up forward and play him in the midfield?
Higgins is in the same category, although he can play in the midfield his natural position is forward pocket.
I can’t see them playing any other position. Better to use someone else in the midfield.

My argument for that is why would you play a player who is a natural up forward and play him in the midfield?
Higgins is in the same category, although he can play in the midfield his natural position is forward pocket.
I can’t see them playing any other position. Better to use someone else in the midfield.
As I mentioned previously Caddy has played midfield previously and played it quite well, it's why we were keen on getting him across. He has a decent tank already, just needs to get it back to where it was before he was turned into a forward.

As you said above it's a strange situation to have so many good players to squeeze into 22 spots. Caddy is easily best 22, but our current structure up forward makes it hard to get him a spot with Jack Tom and the short people looking very good. So we need to find out if we can play him elsewhere. Midfield is the obvious spot, but where? Centre square is pretty well taken care of at present with Cotchin Martin Prestia Lambert Edwards Ross Bolton & Stack rotating through. Ellis has one wing locked up, the other wing was KMacs spot until last week and we tried Short there along with Stack at times. Caddy looks like the next in line to get a crack at it.

As I mentioned previously Caddy has played midfield previously and played it quite well, it's why we were keen on getting him across. He has a decent tank already, just needs to get it back to where it was before he was turned into a forward.

As you said above it's a strange situation to have so many good players to squeeze into 22 spots. Caddy is easily best 22, but our current structure up forward makes it hard to get him a spot with Jack Tom and the short people looking very good. So we need to find out if we can play him elsewhere. Midfield is the obvious spot, but where? Centre square is pretty well taken care of at present with Cotchin Martin Prestia Lambert Edwards Ross Bolton & Stack rotating through. Ellis has one wing locked up, the other wing was KMacs spot until last week and we tried Short there along with Stack at times. Caddy looks like the next in line to get a crack at it.
Caddy can only play one position at elite level, and that is forward pocket, although l may be shocked to see him play at CHB and push stack or Edwards up forwards, that’s the trade off the coaching staff are probably aiming for.

Caddy can only play one position at elite level, and that is forward pocket, although l may be shocked to see him play at CHB and push stack or Edwards up forwards, that’s the trade off the coaching staff are probably aiming for.

Seen him a few times late in games go back
He’s a pretty good contested mark but his leg speed would definitely be a concern

You're the one muddying the waters.

I stated that Caddys best seasons at Geelong were 2014-2016 when he played mainly as a midfielder.

I stated that I believe he'll be able to make the transition into a defensive winger role once he learns our structures and set ups in the midfield, which he'll do because he is a smart footballer(something you've just stated is one of his strengths)

I never brought Sheds and Lambert into the BBMF discussion, I mentioned them as aging players who are part of the midfield and will need replacing in time. Guys like Ross and RCD could be used in those roles.

Caddy is being kept out of the side because he is being developed in another role, which we can do at VFL level without it hurting the performance of the AFL side.

If Ross was fit he'd probably still be in the side, but to suggest he was brought in to assist Cotchin was wrong and given he hasn't even played a game along side Cotchin yet we won't know what his role will be when both are in the side. Could be support or it could be as part of the second unit when Cotchin Martin & Prestia aren't in there.

That’s why you don’t make any sense bc your arguments are contradictory.
It’s that old nature of yes no yes no coming back in your posting where you move the goalposts on any hint of an opportunity.
Yes your only element of truth is that they’re developing him in another role.
No fxxxing kidding bc he’s s**t at what we’ve been arguing about all night.
You even made a post regarding people poohing on Caddy as a midfielder and now you’re peddling the new role. Seriously what are you trying to say?What even is your point?
You opened up the batting with a 2016 profile the RFC put up about Caddy BBMF role and now you are on about his new role which is completely different to the old one. Yet somehow you were at one stage trying to bleat by confusion that they’re similar in a way.
With the Sheds and Lambo talk it was nonsense as the discussion was clearly regarding BBMF and the names I mentioned wouldn’t be their replacements. Stack would most likely replace Sheds. Lambo I’m not even sure if we have a suitable replacement yet, but as you say Pickett maybe a possibility or Bolton. I still think Lambo has few more seasons anyway.
Martin was not worth mentioning as he’s with us long term so bs again as he’s not in the ageing debate you conjured up. Cotchin and Ross are needed together and hopefully RCD is then primed to replace Trent, but people are concerned with his progress atm. So the reality is we still have a deficiency in the future in this area and possibly today bc of injuries. By the time all those blokes retire we would seriously hope new blokes in these areas are introduced as there are a few drafts and trades to be done by then. So again another mute point by you.
The long term plan for this season was to get Ross in to support Cotchin and if you can’t see this then I’m wasting my time.
Pickett was a mature aged pick based on current need, but injuries have hindered his progress just like Ross and KDH has high hopes for him.
So whatever point or argument you’re trying to make Caddy was not a BBMF for us in 2017 and definitely not in 2019. So we have a definite need for them today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

😂 Prestia is not overly quick. lollololol.
He’s a Ferrari in comparison and can go 0-100 in a click of the fingers.
Have a rest from the keyboards as it’s getting silly now.
We know some players can get away playing midfield without speed as they can find the pill and are elite with their disposals, but Caddy hasn’t shown this since mid 2016 and he’s gotten slower bc of injuries and wear and tear. He was never elite at it in the first place and was third string to Danger and Selwood who are elite midfielders.
Playing him on the wing is a pipe dream and would be career ending imo as with the 6-6-6 rules he’ll be left for dead at CB and wouldn’t be able to run hard both ways for a full game or cover the mileages expected. He’s be puffing and blowing by HT.

That’s why you don’t make any sense bc your arguments are contradictory.
It’s that old nature of yes no yes no coming back in your posting where you move the goalposts on any hint of an opportunity.
Yes your only element of truth is that they’re developing him in another role.
No fxxxing kidding bc he’s s**t at what we’ve been arguing about all night.
You even made a post regarding people poohing on Caddy as a midfielder and now you’re peddling the new role. Seriously what are you trying to say?What even is your point?
You opened up the batting with a 2016 profile the RFC put up about Caddy BBMF role and now you are on about his new role which is completely different to the old one. Yet somehow you were at one stage trying to bleat by confusion that they’re similar in a way.
With the Sheds and Lambo talk it was nonsense as the discussion was clearly regarding BBMF and the names I mentioned wouldn’t be their replacements. Stack would most likely replace Sheds. Lambo I’m not even sure if we have a suitable replacement yet, but as you say Pickett maybe a possibility or Bolton. I still think Lambo has few more seasons anyway.
Martin was not worth mentioning as he’s with us long term so bs again as he’s not in the ageing debate you conjured up. Cotchin and Ross are needed together and hopefully RCD is then primed to replace Trent, but people are concerned with his progress atm. So the reality is we still have a deficiency in the future in this area and possibly today bc of injuries. By the time all those blokes retire we would seriously hope new blokes in these areas are introduced as there are a few drafts and trades to be done by then. So again another mute point by you.
The long term plan for this season was to get Ross in to support Cotchin and if you can’t see this then I’m wasting my time.
Pickett was a mature aged pick based on current need, but injuries have hindered his progress just like Ross and KDH has high hopes for him.
So whatever point or argument you’re trying to make Caddy was not a BBMF for us in 2017 and definitely not in 2019. So we have a definite need for them today.
All that typing and you barely addressed any of the main opinions I raised.

Caddy played his best footy at Geelong through the midfield

Caddy can adjust to playing as a defensive winger once he learns structures and set ups.

But I'm muddying the water.

Look i think Caddy lacks speed which still does'nt stop him from being an effective forward, but imo he also lacks stamina/repeat efforts and tires quickly for such a big fat unit! Caddy just fades out of the game! As a mid that's a liability! As a forward ok if he has kicked a few goals!
He kicked 46 goals as a forward that's too valuable to lose in my book...and experimenting this far into the season with him and other positions is silly...

Look i think Caddy lacks speed which still does'nt stop him from being an effective forward, but imo he also lacks stamina/repeat efforts and tires quickly for such a big fat unit! Caddy just fades out of the game! As a mid that's a liability! As a forward ok if he has kicked a few goals!
He kicked 46 goals as a forward that's too valuable to lose in my book...and experimenting this far into the season with him and other positions is silly...
Jack, Thomas, Chol and Caddy would mean the forward pressure is really going to be lacking, can't do it, even 3 of them is too much.

Jack, Thomas, Chol and Caddy would mean the forward pressure is really going to be lacking, can't do it, even 3 of them is too much.
I'd flick Chol out...just not physical enough for me at the moment...want that hardness at the ball/oppo, want to see the oppo hurt!
JR, Cut Lunch and Caddy for me..

I'd flick Chol out...just not physical enough for me at the moment...want that hardness at the ball/oppo, want to see the oppo hurt!
JR, Cut Lunch and Caddy for me..
Who’s going to give Nakkers a chip out in the ruck? We’ve finally got the team balance right and we’ve been kicking big scores which we struggled for most of the year , so why change it? The one ruckman era is over imo and it’s dangerous to go back to the 2017 approach as it failed us last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back