Player Watch #22: Josh Caddy - Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Caddy will get back for sure. People forget how much physical work he does for others, his lack of pre season hurt him in that regard and I really like the way they dropped him back to do a lot of work in the twos.
He’ll still do that bullocking stuff forward mixed in with time on ball he’ll just be in better knick this time.

Who’s going to give Nakkers a chip out in the ruck? We’ve finally got the team balance right and we’ve been kicking big scores which we struggled for most of the year , so why change it? The one ruckman era is over imo and it’s dangerous to go back to the 2017 approach as it failed us last year.
Don’t be surprised if Chol goes out for Nank this week or next.

Who’s going to give Nakkers a chip out in the ruck? We’ve finally got the team balance right and we’ve been kicking big scores which we struggled for most of the year , so why change it? The one ruckman era is over imo and it’s dangerous to go back to the 2017 approach as it failed us last year.
Those are concerns that may or may not come 'AFTER' having to deal with the Caddy and Cholly issue first...
I'm saving myself from getting into a froth and lather till this issue is sorted by the Tiger Match C... :)
Go with a smooth running tall that takes a nice mark and is a beautiful kick but plays like a princess...or...a solid physical loud mouthed campaigner with a proven track record of kicking goals and hurting the oppo, a nice mark and a beautiful set shot for goal and is a seasoned Finals contender!
That is the issue for me... Watchmedance._thumb.gif

Who would have thought that a plodder like Chris Mayne could re-invent himself as a winger at Collingwood. He went back and played plenty of VFL and came in and played some brilliant games earlier in the year, not sure how he is going now. Caddy and Mayne have a fair bit in common as players. Clever, strong, good marks, slow, but their main attribute is their experience and they read the play.
I don't think there is a place up forward for Caddy unless it is part time, like Martin. Lynch has taken his spot, Riewoldt, the second and George and resting Martin also play quite tall. So where do you try Caddy other than midfield or wing. Could probably play half back like Vlaustin does, which might be his next option if he doesn't cut it in this reincarnation.

I'd flick Chol out...just not physical enough for me at the moment...want that hardness at the ball/oppo, want to see the oppo hurt!
JR, Cut Lunch and Caddy for me..
Nank (& Caddy) should play a full game at VFL this week. Chol gets another week. He pinch hits in the ruck; he is hitting the scoreboard; and he could be a potential Cox match up. And when Nank is fit I reckon Chol still has Caddy's spot for another 2, 3 weeks. Caddy is a great fwd. I want to see him really hungry for his spot in the fwd line.

Caddy may well be a great forward, but this season he has only kicked 14 goals because he is no longer one of the go to players. Lynch has seen to that.
His talent is being wasted down there. Why do you think he is being played midfield/wing in the VFL, to get his fitness up because he missed a chunk of pre-season. If you haven't got your match fitness up when you are a seasoned player by this stage of the season then your having a laff.

Caddy may well be a great forward, but this season he has only kicked 14 goals because he is no longer one of the go to players. Lynch has seen to that.
His talent is being wasted down there. Why do you think he is being played midfield/wing in the VFL, to get his fitness up because he missed a chunk of pre-season. If you haven't got your match fitness up when you are a seasoned player by this stage of the season then your having a laff.
Cut Lunch has nothing to do with Caddy kicking 14 goals this year...that's due to Caddy's injuries, form and fitness!
No preseason fitness topped by injuries means that Caddy is coming from a long ways back to make the side even to his old position!
We all understand that...it's whether the big fat feck can garner enough fitness to remake the side and whether it's as a forward!?!
Caddy has a lot of pluses...big, strong, can take a grab, good set shot, is a mean campaigner against the oppo, has a mouth, is physically intimidating and has Finals experience, is familiar with the Team and forward setups, past record of 46 goals to his credit...once up and running he is a valuable forward and contributor!
Straight in for me when fit and running!

Surely Soldo goes out RD.
Not so sure mate. He’s actually giving us a pretty good look in at the centre bounces and plays within himself around the ground with the footy too. Doesn’t make too many mistakes because he just stays well within limitations, he’s actually pretty good with the footy because of it although not damaging. Certainly gives us something in the ruck we haven’t had for a while though.

Not so sure mate. He’s actually giving us a pretty good look in at the centre bounces and plays within himself around the ground with the footy too. Doesn’t make too many mistakes because he just stays well within limitations, he’s actually pretty good with the footy because of it although not damaging. Certainly gives us something in the ruck we haven’t had for a while though.
I’m not sure if he does anything else though , especially around the ground.
I must admit he’s improved out of his skin and may need to first ruck until Nakkers is fully fit to do so. Then Chol should play for his ruck/ forward tricks.

I’m not sure if he does anything else though , especially around the ground.
I must admit he’s improved out of his skin and may need to first ruck until Nakkers is fully fit to do so. Then Chol should play for his ruck/ forward tricks.
Other than that soft as a marshmallow...
Just the thing for high pressure physical finals footy...Chol will have front seat to it all and should enjoy watching the game!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been impressed with Chol and admit he’s already far exceeded my expectations. When I think back to some of the twos games I’ve seen him play over the years...dear me! But he’s gone way beyond that now to his credit, still think he’s a work in progress though and expect him to be around for a while yet with more gradual improvement. Some of that improvement will be around the physical nature of the game and I’m pretty certain he’ll be on standby pretty soon behind Nank and Soldo, whist Caddy resumes a forward/mid role with more time up the ground than previously at Richmond.

Cut Lunch has nothing to do with Caddy kicking 14 goals this year...that's due to Caddy's injuries, form and fitness!
No preseason fitness topped by injuries means that Caddy is coming from a long ways back to make the side even to his old position!
We all understand that...it's whether the big fat feck can garner enough fitness to remake the side and whether it's as a forward!?!
Caddy has a lot of pluses...big, strong, can take a grab, good set shot, is a mean campaigner against the oppo, has a mouth, is physically intimidating and has Finals experience, is familiar with the Team and forward setups, past record of 46 goals to his credit...once up and running he is a valuable forward and contributor!
Straight in for me when fit and running!
Well it's not like he missed the whole pre-season..

'Caddy, 26, has been on light duties after experiencing ankle soreness in February and subsequently missed both the Tigers’ JLT matches and the Round 1 win over Carlton.
“I’ve actually had a bit of bone stress in the tibia,” he told the AFL Nation pre-game show.
“I’ve had to stay off legs for a couple of weeks and therefore I’ve had to slowly ramp things back up again because I didn’t run for a few weeks.

So yeah not ideal and it held him back for longer than expected, but he has played 15 matches now, so is hardly coming from that far back.

'Caddy, 26, has been on light duties after experiencing ankle soreness in February and subsequently missed both the Tigers’ JLT matches and the Round 1 win over Carlton.
“I’ve actually had a bit of bone stress in the tibia,” he told the AFL Nation pre-game show.
“I’ve had to stay off legs for a couple of weeks and therefore I’ve had to slowly ramp things back up again because I didn’t run for a few weeks.

So yeah not ideal and it held him back for longer than expected, but he has played 15 matches now, so is hardly coming from that far back.
Well that's true that Caddy had some pre-season training but still missed enough that this fine specimen of a fat feck mid fielder cum forward's place in the side is arguably in jeopardy...then he copped some more injuries...well let's just say Caddy's had a disrupted pre-season and his fitness is questionable!

I agree, last week GWS played two Rucks and Mumford had 11 hitouts and no tackles they didn’t really play him alot on Grundy.
They just stretched em in def and it payed off.
Nank got himself three crumbing goals against the blooze this year and he’s a sweet kick on his left.
Soldo is ave more tackles than Nank and considering how many clearances Grundy can get it’d be good to see him get wrapped up and have big ivvy land on him a couple of times.

I agree, last week GWS played two Rucks and Mumford had 11 hitouts and no tackles they didn’t really play him alot on Grundy.
They just stretched em in def and it payed off.
Nank got himself three crumbing goals against the blooze this year and he’s a sweet kick on his left.
Soldo is ave more tackles than Nank and considering how many clearances Grundy can get it’d be good to see him get wrapped up and have big ivvy land on him a couple of times.
Yeah personally I think Soldo is a no brainer against Grundy this week but I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
I think Chol only plays if Nank doesn’t back up in 5 days.

Depends on what the training loads were like when he missed his block of training. Generally from February to the season beginning they are generally in a heavy workload, so if he has missed that or on a reduced program he'll be playing catch up all season as the fitness guys won't let him over do it to make up the work he has missed.

As mentioned last night I believe he can adapt to this new role as he is a smart footballer who will know when and where to run to have an impact on the game as he gets to know the structures and set ups better. A full preseason heading into 2020 and he'll improve even more in the role.

Other than that soft as a marshmallow...
Just the thing for high pressure physical finals footy...Chol will have front seat to it all and should enjoy watching the game!

If you think Chol isn't physical enough the man we may see return for finals, who looks made for finals to me, is Noah Balta. I like the wrecking ball combination in the ruck for finals, Nankervis/Balta. Both can do damage ball in hand as well.

If Caddy is fit enough he has to come into the team this week most likely for Baker.. could be Short but I think Hardwick has a little more faith in him can't who else goes out as Soldo will most likely go out for Nankervis. Chol ruck relive has been really important I'd be shocked if he gets dropped especially when we coming up against Grundy will be even more important the 2 rucks.

Cads forward role is almost redundant with jack and lynch , as mentioned earlier he hasnt helped by battling touch this year . Sounds to me they want to deploy him loose not indifferent to how Vlas plays , he could do that, no problem. We re putting players into roles at vfl so they are back ups ready to go , balta Defence, Oleg med forward , CCJ tall forward , and now cads in this swingman caper . Personally don’t see him back in yet , kmac will return prior likely for short

Remove this Banner Ad

Back