Player Watch #22 Lauren Young

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for posting.

The stuff about dance and acls being more or less equal is very interesting.
Yeah it is, but a dance routine is structured and both partners know what the next steps are and what the changes in directions will be.

Ball sports are more random, the ball bounces away from any set routine, especially an oval ball, there is some physical contact, and that's probably why in sports where women have played that sport for decades, that men also play, is a better comparison, and women in basketball, volleyball, European handball, their ACL rates are about two to two and a half times higher than men according to that article.

I've heard a bio-mechanist prof talk about women having wider hips than men due to child birth needs, means their twisting and turning abilities at speed, will be different to men's.

Years ago a mate who I played footy with, who also played a lot of basketball, talked to me about how women in basketball can't turn and go off a straight line like men do ( we didn't even talk about dunking.). The discussion was close to the Beijing Olympics, and I watched a fair bit of women's basketball, as SBS would cover all the team sports games in full, except for the games Oz was involved, as 7 would show that. Watching women's basketball games, I constantly had his words in my head and I picked up what he had discussed with me.

I'd like to compare gymnasts injury result. The Floor Exercise, the men and women do very similar routines with twisting and turning, but like dance they have set routines so they probably will produce results like dance. The vault is the only other event that both men and women do, so comparisons in that event probably would have similar utility as the floor exercise comparisons.

Last edited:
Yeah it is, but a dance routine is structured and both partners know what the next steps are and what the changes in directions will be.

Ball sports are more random, the ball bounces away from any set routine, especially an oval ball, there is some physical contact, and that's probably why in sports where women have played that sport for decades, that men also play, is a better comparison, and women in basketball, volleyball, European handball, their ACL rates are about two to two and a half times higher than men according to that article.

I've heard a bio-mechanist prof talk about women having wider hips than men due to child birth needs, means their twisting and turning abilities at speed, will be different to men's.

Years ago a mate who I played footy with, who also played a lot of basketball, talked to me about how women in basketball can't turn and go off a straight line like men do ( we didn't even talk about dunking.). The discussion was close to the Beijing Olympics, and I watched a fair bit of women's basketball, as SBS would cover all the team sports games in full, except for the games Oz was involved, as 7 would show that. Watching women's basketball games, I constantly had his words in my head and I picked up what he had discussed with me.

I'd like to compare gymnasts injury result. The Floor Exercise, the men and women do very similar routines with twisting and turning, but like dance they have set routines so they probably will produce results like dance. The vault is the only event that both men and women do, so comparisons in that event probably would have similar utility as the floor exercise comparisons.
The wider hips mean that the angle of the femur to the tibia/fibula is 18 degrees in women as opposed to 13 degrees in men. However, the opening in the bones of the tibia/fibula for the tendons is exactly the same, so the increased angle means the opening is reduced. If you'll recall with Sam Hayes, the discussion was that he had an issue with his skeletal system where the opening for his tendons was smaller than normal and as such he would be prone to doing ACLs. Well, think of all women as clones of Hayes.

As for gymnastics:

Results 43 gymnasts were included in this study, representing 111 gymnast-seasons. A total of 285 injuries were collected over the study period, that was, an average of 2.6 injuries per gymnast per season. On average, 91.4% of gymnasts had at least one injury per season. The estimated injury incidence rate was 1.8 injuries per 1000 hours of gymnastics practice. The knee was the most affected joint (16%), followed by the elbow (12%) and the ankle (12%). The most frequent injury type was physis pathologies (16%) and bone injuries (15%). Eighty-eight per cent of injuries required a modification of the gymnastics practice.

1712018092165.png

The rate is roughly double for knee and lower leg/ankle/foot injuries for women compared to men in gymnastics, and it probably stems from younger girls trying to attempt things that they see men do as the operate under the societal delusion that a woman can do anything a man can do. Generally what happens to prevent ACL injuries in girls is that they modify behavior before it happens, which is why you'll find dance injuries are similar between men and women.

Is the club ever going to tell us wtf is going on here?
Did you actually check the club website? There was a story up there yesterday confirming she had done her ACL and would miss the AFLW season.

Did you actually check the club website? There was a story up there yesterday confirming she had done her ACL and would miss the AFLW season.
Fair enough. Weird that nobody ever posted it on here, usually someone does, but thanks.

Fair enough. Weird that nobody ever posted it on here, usually someone does, but thanks.
Someone wrote it was confirmed. I checked who it was, it was a collingwood supporter so thats probably why they didnt put up the link.

4 day long weekend depressed about this, depressed about Saturday night, had been confirmed after initial post said she had probably done it. So thats where there was a lack of motivation to put up the link..

I clicked on the club's website yesterday after lunch and it was the main story.

Last edited:
Awful news, Lauren would have been wanting to finally get on the oval for Port and we were all looking forward to seeing her in action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back