Player Watch #22 Lauren Young

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s huge for us.

We need more game winners and more dominant mids, plus her around the ground marking is something we desperately need.

Also the fact we don’t have to use a draft pick on her is important.

This upcoming draft is super strong with Sa talent. Hopefully we get a bunch of the first draft picks to take the best. We need it.

PORT ADELAIDE has signed talented tall Lauren Young as part of the Expansion U18 Talent Pathway Pre-Signing Period.

The teams included in the most recent wave of NAB AFLW expansion – Port Adelaide, Sydney, Hawthorn and Essendon – have the option to pre-sign up to three players who have come through each respective club’s academy, prior to the NAB AFLW Draft in December.

A 178cm mid fielder in the women's game, is the equivalent to a 194cm Patrick Cripps type mid fielder in the men's game, in terms of relative sizes of other mids in each competition.

This is the reason why we could pre sign her, when previous discussions we have had on here suggested we had no rights to her eventhough she was in our NGA - thanks to Powerade 08 for the link in the list management thread.

A LITTLE-KNOWN expansion club player signing rule is set to shake up the next AFLW Draft, which will be held in December.

There's a chance some of the very top talent – including Lauren Young, Shineah Goody, Laura Stone and Alyssia Pisano – could skip the draft entirely, eligible for pre-signing by expansion clubs.

The four most recent AFLW teams – Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney – were given the option of pre-signing three players from their women's Academies prior to the draft, over a two-year period.

The wording has since been slightly tweaked to three drafts, to accommodate the supplementary draft earlier in the year that was for mature-age players only.

Players have to agree to skip the draft and join the club directly. None of the four clubs either wanted to use the mechanism for the 2022 draft, or failed to convince players to sign on.

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

There's a chance some of the very top talent – including Lauren Young, Shineah Goody, Laura Stone and Alyssia Pisano – could skip the draft entirely, eligible for pre-signing by expansion clubs.

The four most recent AFLW teams – Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney – were given the option of pre-signing three players from their women's Academies prior to the draft, over a two-year period.

Wait, goody is available as a pre-selection as well?

Anyone know if port has used their full allotment of 3 players already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, goody is available as a pre-selection as well?

Anyone know if port has used their full allotment of 3 players already?
From the article they said - Lauren Young, Shineah Goody, Laura Stone and Alyssia Pisano – could skip the draft entirely, eligible for pre-signing by expansion clubs.
Key forward Young (West Adelaide) and versatile midfielder Goody (Woodville-West Torrens) fall under Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy, and were named player of the under-18 championships in 2021 and 2022 respectively.

I doubt they would have talked about both players could skip the draft if one of them wasn't able to do it and both can only do it for Port as they were part of Port's NGA.

From the article they said - Lauren Young, Shineah Goody, Laura Stone and Alyssia Pisano – could skip the draft entirely, eligible for pre-signing by expansion clubs.
Key forward Young (West Adelaide) and versatile midfielder Goody (Woodville-West Torrens) fall under Port Adelaide's Next Generation Academy, and were named player of the under-18 championships in 2021 and 2022 respectively.

I doubt they would have talked about both players could skip the draft if one of them wasn't able to do it and both can only do it for Port as they were part of Port's NGA.

Yeah cheers.

i understand goody is eligible, that’s what I took from the article (just surprised that 2 of the best players coming into the league are nga listed to us. Brilliant luck there) I’m asking if we’ve already claimed our 3 pre selections or if we can expect to add goody? It would be massive to add both young and goody before the draft even starts.

As far as my memory serves and a google search I can’t find any previous nga preselections by port Adelaide.

Though I would have thought we would have announced both at once?

Wow, what a resume! Look forward to seeing her on the field. Great size as well at 178cm.

Yeah cheers.

i understand goody is eligible, that’s what I took from the article (just surprised that 2 of the best players coming into the league are nga listed to us. Brilliant luck there) I’m asking if we’ve already claimed our 3 pre selections or if we can expect to add goody? It would be massive to add both young and goody before the draft even starts.

As far as my memory serves and a google search I can’t find any previous nga preselections by port Adelaide.

Though I would have thought we would have announced both at once?
It gets better. See

Port Adelaide list manager Naomi Maidment said:
“Lauren is the ultimate utility, very versatile, she can really play in any position on the field. Dominant as a forward in this year’s under 18 national championships as a forward, helping SA to win back-to-back titles. She spent a number of years in our academy program and has really embraced Port Adelaide. A great teammate with a vibrant personality and will fit in well with our group culturally.”

AFL Talent Ambassador Kevin Sheehan said:
“Strong and aggressive player who excelled as a forward but can play back or midfield. Attacks the ball fearlessly and is almost unbeatable one-on-one with her overhead marking a real feature of her play. Kicked five goals to blow the game apart versus Victoria Metro and finished up averaging three goals across three matches, along with 17.3 disposals, seven marks and three tackles to again be a dominant force after winning the best and fairest award in this competition two years ago when in her 16th year.”

Port Adelaide welcomes Lauren Young

Remove this Banner Ad

Back