#23: James “Jordan Jones” Jordon. Farewell.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this is the JJ thread but I wanted to take a moment to laud our amazing recruiting the last few years. By crikey we have some bloody good young players on our list.

Its why we need to keep Jason Taylor doing his thing for many years to come, and trading up/ in to get as many picks in each draft as possible. Id back him in to find a better pick in the in the 30's than another club would at the end of the first round.

Its why we need to keep Jason Taylor doing his thing for many years to come, and trading up/ in to get as many picks in each draft as possible. Id back him in to find a better pick in the in the 30's than another club would at the end of the first round.
I remember when we poached him from Collingwood Eddie lost his mind

Am I the only one who thinks Taylor's overrated a little?
We haven't drafted a good key forward or back and had to trade a shitload of picks to plug gaps.
The Jackson rivers Pickett draft was gold, but Sparrow Jordan Weid etc isn't shooting the lights out

I know this is the JJ thread but I wanted to take a moment to laud our amazing recruiting the last few years. By crikey we have some bloody good young players on our list.
I saw a stat that our top picks from drafts 2017-2019 were all playing in our team last weekend. Even Hore (56 in 2018) arguably would be playing if he hadn't had injuries.

2017: Spargo (29), Fritsch (31), Petty (37)
2018: Sparrow (27), Jordon (33)
2019: Jackson (3), Pickett (12), Rivers (32)

Crazy hit rate, especially in those mid range picks.

We haven't drafted a good key forward or back and had to trade a shitload of picks to plug gaps.
The Jackson rivers Pickett draft was gold, but Sparrow Jordan Weid etc isn't shooting the lights out

Not a lot sitting behind Sparrow and Jordon in their draft. Jacob Koschitzke, Nick Hind probably the two obvious ones who slid. Apart from those two who would you take above them?

Have a look at who was taken after those picks as well - there's not much out there.

Having those 6 players taken from picks 27-37 who are all performing in a top of the table team as 20-22 year olds (Fritta a bit older as an over-ager) is pretty impressive.

Reaching for Clarry when a lot of other recruiters didn't rate him was also a genius move.

Not a lot sitting behind Sparrow and Jordon in their draft. Jacob Koschitzke, Nick Hind probably the two obvious ones who slid. Apart from those two who would you take above them?
Honestly haven't had a squiz. If it was a s**t draft fair enough then.

Honestly haven't had a squiz. If it was a sh*t draft fair enough then.

With well researched opinions like this you should fire up TK's Napalm thread again on Jason Taylor

I saw a stat that our top picks from drafts 2017-2019 were all playing in our team last weekend. Even Hore (56 in 2018) arguably would be playing if he hadn't had injuries.

2017: Spargo (29), Fritsch (31), Petty (37)
2018: Sparrow (27), Jordon (33)
2019: Jackson (3), Pickett (12), Rivers (32)

Crazy hit rate, especially in those mid range picks.
It's a good strike rate. Especially as most of those picks are middle of the draft. All of those players have made good solid contributions this year in a team that's been sitting top 2 for majority of the year.

It's a huge credit to Jason Taylor and his recruiting identifying players who are all incredibly hard workers on and off field. But credit also to the coaching staff in putting in the development resources around these young guys.

Watching majority of Casey games this years, it's also very exciting we have Bowey and Rosman under the wings who show glimpses of becoming solid AFL players of the future.

I definitely agree with your sentiments on Sparrow and Sam Weideman. But what about James Jordan's game against Essendon on the weekend. He had 21 possessions and 2 goals (admittedly they were gifts) in only 62 per cent game time. He was also close to our best player, in our loss to Collingwood. Then compare his overall output with Will Phillips of North Melbourne who was pick 3 in this years draft and you will find Jordan is having a much better season, yet he was pick 33. People within the club are already making Simon Black comparisons, might be a bit of a reach but I will take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does sting a little that Harry Mckay was taken with the next pick.
It doesn't just sting mate, that's a dagger in the heart. Coleman medal leader vs Spud who can't take a ******* mark

I definitely agree with your sentiments on Sparrow and Sam Weideman. But what about James Jordan's game against Essendon on the weekend. He had 21 possessions and 2 goals (admittedly they were gifts) in only 62 per cent game time. He was also close to our best player, in our loss to Collingwood. Then compare his overall output with Will Phillips of North Melbourne who was pick 3 in this years draft and you will find Jordan is having a much better season, yet he was pick 33. People within the club are already making Simon Black comparisons, might be a bit of a reach but I will take it.

Aye man Jordan ain't Simon black, not even close lol. He doesn't have anywhere near the poise or skill.
If you put a gun to my head to compare him to someone it's probably a young Nathan Jones.

Aye man Jordan ain't Simon black, not even close lol. He doesn't have anywhere near the poise or skill.
If you put a gun to my head to compare him to someone it's probably a young Nathan Jones.
"Spud watch"

I do think Taylor's slightly overrated by people on here still

Jordan, Sparrow, Spargo, AnB, Hulett, Weideman, Dunkley, Petty, Brayshaw, Hunt, Hannan etc

There's alot of decent in there.

Our rookie picks have been pretty average for a while outside of Harmes.

Petracca, Oliver, Jackson, Rivers, Pickett, Salem, Fritta are big wins.

I'm not sure Taylor's a drafting god, I think he just looks incredible compared to the Prendergast.

I do think Taylor's slightly overrated by people on here still

Jordan, Sparrow, Spargo, AnB, Hulett, Weideman, Dunkley, Petty, Brayshaw, Hunt, Hannan etc

There's alot of decent in there.

Our rookie picks have been pretty average for a while outside of Harmes.

Petracca, Oliver, Jackson, Rivers, Pickett, Salem, Fritta are big wins.

I'm not sure Taylor's a drafting god, I think he just looks incredible compared to the Prendergast.

Not sure there is anyone that could have possibly been worse than Prendergast at picking young talent, I love that Carlton gave him a job after we got rid of him.

It's pretty hard to assess where Jordon ends up as a player. For now, he's having a good year for a young player by holding his own in the top side and showing he can find the footy and lay tackles. Big leap for him to take the next step to being a genuine starting centre square player, especially as he doesn't have standout skills or class.

Could be anything from a depth player to a 250 game midfielder from here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back