Player Watch #26: Anthony Miles

Remove this Banner Ad

you got that right :D miles used to be an excellent extractor but now as the game has got faster and with tweaks to rule changes miles value to the team has dropped. surely graham and towna who are both manic at the ball as well will get a look in before miles. towna is a big unit who can go forward too, i just cant see anthony getting back in unless another injury or suspension.

Given Miles has been given five games this season and has, at least twice, been the emergency who has been kept out of the reserves team in case of a pre-game injury, and Townsend hasn't been sighted, I am confident Miles will be first picked ahead of Townsend for any potential final.
The longer the likes of Townsend and Lennon go without a call-up, the less likely they are of forcing their way in.
You can add the likes of Batchelor to that list too.

Personally, I don't think I've ever made Lennon out to be more than he is. However, that's not up for me to decide.
I understand that Miles has been good in the past, but we have made recruitments of better quality which has caused him to be on the outer. I told everyone this would happen in the pre-season this year.
If we play all of Miles, Graham, Lambert and Prestia, you can even throw Caddy and Cotch in there as well. The whole midfield will turn into a one paced slow midfield. The current make up we have is clearly working in part. We just need to fix up our scoring.
Miles had a set shot last week that made it all of 35 metres. He used to be able to kick it 45-50.
Miles to me, should look elsewhere so we can play Graham who has a higher ceiling and a bit more pace.

I'm not doubting Miles as a player. I just think he has reached his peak at Richmond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a pretty one-paced midfield with Cotchin, Caddy, Prestia, Martin and lambert, who is l;ikely quickest of all. Miles isn't going to harm that dynamic.
Our pace is elsewhere, mainly in the forward half with Rioli, Butler, Castagna and Bolton types.

Lol. Miles won't be in the team for his long kicking. He has other more important traits that we lacked severely on Saturday at KP. The same traits that we will need in finals.

My point was, he has no versatility. Nor does he have any pace which is what is important in the way the game is currently played as a competition, especially Richmond.

My point was, he has no versatility. Nor does he have any pace which is what is important in the way the game is currently played as a competition, especially Richmond.

Has Mitchell from Hawthorn got pace? No. He is an extractor. He gets the ball out to others who have pace. That's Miles' strength.

Has Mitchell from Hawthorn got pace? No. He is an extractor. He gets the ball out to others who have pace. That's Miles' strength.

Mitchell also has elite disposal which makes up for his lack of pace because he rarely turns it over.
Miles doesn't have elite disposal.

Hahahaha
Miles has been above average in his time at Richmond, its a credit to him, but people have gone past him, it happens....
But you realise Mitchell has/or is about to set the alltime record for disposals playing in a team that will finish outside the 8, Miles didn't come close to doing that in his best years with us....

If your not comparing him to Mitchell, 2 things, don't bring him up (or if you do tell us it's not a direct comparison)
and 2, lots of footballers across the country have strengths, but if those strengths don't influence a game at the highest level in 2017 (not previous years, I'm talking this year), then they are largely irrelevant in a discussion based around selection in our senior side.

mitchell is much fitter and gets to all parts of the ground ferreting it out 9/10 times a quarter, milsey maybe 5 or 6... pretty sure mitchells tackling numbers would have a similar ratio.

LOL.

I was just pointing out that lack of pace is NOT an argument to persuade me that Miles shouldn't be in the side. He is a better footballer ATM than Corey Ellis. Do you think he isn't?

LOL.

I was just pointing out that lack of pace is NOT an argument to persuade me that Miles shouldn't be in the side. He is a better footballer ATM than Corey Ellis. Do you think he isn't?

That's not a valid comparison. You can't advocate that Miles should have been selected over CEllis. CEllis was playing in the back half not as an inside midfielder.
For this week, there is every chance they will opt for an extra midfielder and Corey may be sacrificed.
In terms of a better player, you are comparing a 20 year old to a mature age 25/26 year old. I'd much rather comment when we have actually seen a proper sample size of games in reference to who is better.

That's not a valid comparison. You can't advocate that Miles should have been selected over CEllis. CEllis was playing in the back half not as an inside midfielder.
For this week, there is every chance they will opt for an extra midfielder and Corey may be sacrificed.
In terms of a better player, you are comparing a 20 year old to a mature age 25/26 year old. I'd much rather comment when we have actually seen a proper sample size of games in reference to who is better.

What?

I don't care about the age difference. I am saying right now at this point in time, he is better value in the team than Cellis. That maybe different in one, two or three years. However, if we are going to compete in finals, I would prefer to go in with Miles. Corey with his limited preseasons is just not there yet (and may never be). I think Miles gives us more inside grunt. Cellis is outside and doesn't give us much there anyway.

What?

I don't care about the age difference. I am saying right now at this point in time, he is better value in the team than Cellis. That maybe different in one, two or three years. However, if we are going to compete in finals, I would prefer to go in with Miles. Corey with his limited preseasons is just not there yet (and may never be). I think Miles gives us more inside grunt. Cellis is outside and doesn't give us much there anyway.

I'd rather Graham personally.

I'd rather Graham personally.

Yep, Graham for me as well. I hope they give him a go this week. If he plays ok, he stays in against the Saints. If he's not in, then Miles is clearly ahead of him in the queue as the "next best" inside mid.

Cheers.

Dave P.

Mitchell also has elite disposal which makes up for his lack of pace because he rarely turns it over.
Miles doesn't have elite disposal.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=3659&pid2=3786&fid1=C&fid2=C

Mitchell shades Miles in a few areas but not clearances or disposal efficiency.

I really have no idea what you watch when you say Mitchell has elite disposal as that is his main knock, no hurt factor despite a mountain of ball.

His disposal figures are below 70% and considering he uses it by hand so often because he lacks leg speed that is quite average (at best)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=15&type=A&pid1=3659&pid2=3786&fid1=C&fid2=C

I really have no idea what you watch when you say Mitchell has elite disposal as that is his main knock, no hurt factor despite a mountain of ball.

His disposal figures are below 70% and considering he uses it by hand so often because he lacks leg speed that is quite average (at best)

Throw all the stats you like at me. Mitchell is widely considered to be one of the best players with ball in hand.
When he retired, in media conferences he had, he was lauded with coming close to mastering the "mystery of the oval ball".
He was one of the best users of the footy I have seen. This is why stats are overrated.

I like Graham too but he has no runs on the board. Miles has plenty. I'd put them both in.

Can't have them both in. Throws out team balance. This is the exact reason why Miles has been on the fringes all year.

How do you know that it will unbalance the team unless you try it?

If match committee hasn't gone with it all year there's a very good reason for it. They know better than us average Joe Blow's.

Throw all the stats you like at me. Mitchell is widely considered to be one of the best players with ball in hand.
When he retired, in media conferences he had, he was lauded with coming close to mastering the "mystery of the oval ball".
He was one of the best users of the footy I have seen. This is why stats are overrated.

Aaahhh Sam Mitchell?

It's clear you don't follow threads or read many posts too closely.

Carry on!

Aaahhh Sam Mitchell?

It's clear you don't follow threads or read many posts too closely.

Carry on!

That's my bad. I don't remember it saying "from Hawthorn" when I initially read it. I'll own the mistake though.
Apologies.

So your point is put Miles in those Hawks team from 08-16 and they win all those games and premierships

Now I have heard it all

Can't have Miles, Graham, Prestia, Lambert and Cotchin all in the one side. I understand you want inside grunt but our ball movement and speed has been our most potent and impressive aspect of our play this year along with our pressure.

Much more importantly we simply can't afford to carry 2 or more small forwards that don't get near it while oppo HB are feasting on it. Small forwards MUST kick goals , milesy can apply pressure acts and tackle , no problem with added benefit of winning some contested ball, so when he s got it , the oppo don't. Butler has kicked 1g in a month , give him a spell and replace with short/menadue or miles. My vote would be short

Much more importantly we simply can't afford to carry 2 or more small forwards that don't get near it while oppo HB are feasting on it. Small forwards MUST kick goals , milesy can apply pressure acts and tackle , no problem with added benefit of winning some contested ball, so when he s got it , the oppo don't. Butler has kicked 1g in a month , give him a spell and replace with short/menadue or miles. My vote would be short

I see what you're saying but I don't want to give up the pressure and the perceived pressure the small forwards put on.
If Butler/Castagna get rested/omitted I'd like to see them replaced like for like. Just my opinion though.

I see what you're saying but I don't want to give up the pressure and the perceived pressure the small forwards put on.
If Butler/Castagna get rested/omitted I'd like to see them replaced like for like. Just my opinion though.

V hawthorn Miles had 24 pressure acts , butler had 22 , and 16p , bit better than I thought . Point is though , not like we concede piling the pressure on if miles played ahead of butler

V hawthorn Miles had 24 pressure acts , butler had 22 , and 16p , bit better than I thought . Point is though , not like we concede piling the pressure on if miles played ahead of butler

Miles plays through the midfield. It would be normal for him to have more pressure acts than Butler as he is always around the action. Comes with the territory. Forward half pressure acts are more important and often lead to goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back