Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

How great it would be if he got it. The piss poor treatment he got on his 200th from 7? or Fox, cant remember who. Would be a nice fu** you if he got a Coleman and an AA jumper aged 35 or whatever he is
You just know theyā€™d replay that chase with Buddy a million times during the presentation

We'd be so fā€™ed without him in the forward line.
That time is coming.
When Hooker's gone our key forwatd options are suddenly very thin.
Stewart: defender now and better suited as a second or third tall forward
Wright: better suited as a second or third tall
Baldwin: fitness pending and very young
Jones: could be the main man, but not for a while yet
Eyre: ditto
Ambrose: pending fitness, pushing 30, has been a defender and probably better suited as a second or third tall.

Stringer and Walla will be near the end before Jones, Eyre and Baldwin are ready. We're in for some lean years in the forwardline. Maybe Draper and Bryan rotating through is a solution, but it seems grim.

That time is coming.
Ambrose: pending fitness, pushing 30, has been a defender and probably better suited as a second or third tall.

Stringer and Walla will be near the end before Jones, Eyre and Baldwin are ready. We're in for some lean years in the forwardline. Maybe Draper and Bryan rotating through is a solution, but it seems grim.
Mid Season Draft
Jackson Callow

Has the frame.
Or perhaps luring Fogarty from the Crows.
Kid is a natural, straight kicking, strong marking forward.
Crows seem to want him to be more.

Mid Season Draft
Jackson Callow

Has the frame.
Or perhaps luring Fogarty from the Crows.
Kid is a natural, straight kicking, strong marking forward.
Crows seem to want him to be more.
I'm interested in Callow. The development time is still a thing, but it is what it is. I'd hope we're still focused on Dunkley. Adelaide would be set on keeping Fogarty with Tex finishing up.

That time is coming.

Hence why I couldn't for the life of me work out why people here wanted us to chase midfielders in the draft last year.

Blind Freddy could see our tall stocks were about to fall off a cliff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You just know theyā€™d replay that chase with Buddy a million times during the presentation

I was at that game with some BigFooty bros, from memory Beanie (not sure if he posts on here anymore under a different name) shouted us tickets. It was traumatising.

Hence why I couldn't for the life of me work out why people here wanted us to chase midfielders in the draft last year.

Blind Freddy could see our tall stocks were about to fall off a cliff.
I think many are satisfied with Wright and Baldwin. I'm not. I still think we need to trade for a young key forward whose body is already up to the rigours of the game and who could be our number one. It ain't Peter Wright. A midfielder and a key forward as priorities I think.

I think many are satisfied with Wright and Baldwin. I'm not. I still think we need to trade for a young key forward whose body is already up to the rigours of the game and who could be our number one. It ain't Peter Wright. A midfielder and a key forward as priorities I think.
Like who though? Name names.

I still think we need to trade for a young key forward whose body is already up to the rigours of the game and who could be our number one
To what purpose though? Our defence is just as young and lacking in a key pillar. We just need to be patient and go back to the draft for whatever pieces we still need after weā€™ve given the ones weā€™ve got a good run in 2021 and see where the holes are.

Any KPF worth their salt will stay at the club theyā€™re at, and if their club is willing to let them go we probably donā€™t want them anyway with off-field issues or a lack of commitment to playing the game or whatever. And itā€™d probably cost us several first rounders and a million bucks a year in salary too (Boyd to Bulldogs much?)

What is the point of desperately trading in expensive players given where our list is at? Weā€™re not a KPF from the granny. It will just set us back all over again.

If we want maturity in the forward line, Hurley and Ambrose were supposed to play forward this year and Hurley is still contracted for next year.

And since weā€™re in Hookerā€™s thread, I donā€™t see why he wouldnā€™t go around again for relative cheap if the club asked, especially if Hurley ends up unable to return to the game then weā€™d have a spot we already planned to use for a veteran in 2022.

Dunno, but it aint Peter Wright.
Jackson Callow has been mentioned, who I don't know about.
Connor Ballenden has been around for a couple of seasons now but is stuck behind Hipwood, Daniher and McStay. I'd be keeping an eye on his progress this year.
He's good enough as a placeholder though, at the very least. At his age you can argue there's still upside in his game which will come with age + consistent best 22 selection.

We've still got Eyre, Brand, Baldwin, Jones as developing KPP's (might be missing someone). Likely at least one develops into a 200 gamer. I'd agree taking a swipe at someone like a Ben King in 2022 but I don't see the point in going for a sideways trade.

There are others - like I'm not sure about Oscar Allen, I haven't seen him play much so maybe someone else could chime in.

Have you seen Baldwin? He's massive for his age. He'll be great when he's fit and on the park.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I actually think weā€™re on the right track without needing to trade. We can address some of the more glaring holes in our midfield in the next few drafts, and after that weā€™ll have a fair idea of which of the current crop of KPPs on the list will make it so we can draft accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back