Retired #26: Cale Hooker - Has announced his retirement at season's end šŸ·

Remove this Banner Ad

Hooker may as well retire now, seeing he 's too good for his opposition and is making the game unfair. - Comprehensively defeated Hawkins,Riewoldt and Patton - Hawkins dominated two weeks later, while Patton is dominating today and Riewoldt is travelling OK.

Stewart and Brown would not work. We need that contested marking presence deep inside 50. So for me we bring in Hartley and play Hooker forward.

Or maybe Brown goes back and Hooker goes forward.

Hooker canā€™t kick for s**t and the backline looks vulnerable without him. Stewart and Stringer should be enough.

Or maybe Brown goes back and Hooker goes forward.
Why would we change Brown into defence when he's been playing well as a forward?
Hooker canā€™t kick for s**t and the backline looks vulnerable without him. Stewart and Stringer should be enough.
Back line looked fine in the second half. We also have Hartley playing well in the VFL, who's shown he can more than capable do a job at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we change Brown into defence when he's been playing well as a forward?

Back line looked fine in the second half. We also have Hartley playing well in the VFL, who's shown he can more than capable do a job at AFL level.

It was a good move yesterday because we were dominating the midfield like we havenā€™t for some time so the ball wasnā€™t coming down as much. Against better mids weā€™d be in deep s**t especially with Ambrose also out.

It was a good move yesterday because we were dominating the midfield like we havenā€™t for some time so the ball wasnā€™t coming down as much. Against better mids weā€™d be in deep s**t especially with Ambrose also out.
Haven't for some time? In our 7-2 run we've won the clearances 7 times, losing to Collingwood and Brisbane (by 1) and moved ourselves from 4th last in clearance differential to 2nd. We've won the inside 50 count 5 times, with three of our losses by 3 inside 50's or less. We've gone from averaging -5.25 in inside 50 diff (which would have us dead last currently) to averaging 0.8 for the season, a remarkable improvement and over that period we're better than all bar 3 clubs in that area.

Oh and FWIW, Sydney and Freo are basically dead even for both those statistical areas.

Haven't for some time? In our 7-2 run we've won the clearances 7 times, losing to Collingwood and Brisbane (by 1) and moved ourselves from 4th last in clearance differential to 2nd. We've won the inside 50 count 5 times, with three of our losses by 3 inside 50's or less. We've gone from averaging -5.25 in inside 50 diff (which would have us dead last currently) to averaging 0.8 for the season, a remarkable improvement and over that period we're better than all bar 3 clubs in that area.

Oh and FWIW, Sydney and Freo are basically dead even for both those statistical areas.

Donā€™t get over excited, we didnā€™t dominate as much as with Freo...AND we had no other option up forward. Stewart will probably come in and club says Stringer is ready to go. Hooker stays back

I'd like to see Hooker told first thing Monday he's got the task of keeping Buddy goalless.
Then given some headphones with just one song playing on loop to wear all week.
"Redemption song" by Bob Marley

Donā€™t get over excited, we didnā€™t dominate as much as with Freo...AND we had no other option up forward. Stewart will probably come in and club says Stringer is ready to go. Hooker stays back
I'm just pointing out that statistically, you're incorrect. Stewart and Brown are probably too similar to work together effectively, neither are the contested marking player that either clunks it or brings it front and square for the smalls like Hooker is. Stringer would be unlikely due to the fact it's Friday Night and we're very conservative with this sort of thing nowadays

We have a like-for-like replacement for Hooker in defence in Hartley, even though he isn't as good. In any case I hope we bring both Stewart and Hartley in and play Hooker forward, because that still leaves us the option of going into defence if need be and shifting someone else forward (maybe Goddard)

I'm just pointing out that statistically, you're incorrect. Stewart and Brown are probably too similar to work together effectively, neither are the contested marking player that either clunks it or brings it front and square for the smalls like Hooker is. Stringer would be unlikely due to the fact it's Friday Night and we're very conservative with this sort of thing nowadays

We have a like-for-like replacement for Hooker in defence in Hartley, even though he isn't as good. In any case I hope we bring both Stewart and Hartley in and play Hooker forward, because that still leaves us the option of going into defence if need be and shifting someone else forward (maybe Goddard)

Not incorrect at all. I and everyone else knows we have been on top in clearances and all the other stats that you meaningless quoted during our 7-2 run.

But....yesterday the ball spent more time in our forward line even more than in other games, nearly 30 more inside 50s, far more clearances, BUT/And more importantly, unlike other games during our good run, we had no one to take a mark once McKernan went off.

We may take the risk and let Franklin run amok without Hooker to help back there but I doubt it

Not incorrect at all. I and everyone else knows we have been on top in clearances and all the other stats that you meaningless quoted during our 7-2 run.

But....yesterday the ball spent more time in our forward line even more than in other games, nearly 30 more inside 50s, far more clearances, BUT/And more importantly, unlike other games during our good run, we had no one to take a mark once McKernan went off.

We may take the risk and let Franklin run amok without Hooker to help back there but I doubt it
The fact you say "meaningless" just shows shows how wrong you are.

Could afford to swing Hooker fwd had we given Ridley & Francis more time at AFL level.
Hurley, Francis, Ridley, McKenna, Saad and Dea is solid enough for a back 6 if Ridley and Francis had more games in them.

Not keen to swing our best defender forward when we are playing the best forward in the comp.
Stewart to replace Smack this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back