Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

Remove this Banner Ad

However, if he has a second or third full pre-season and his numbers don’t pick up then I would start to get concerned. I’m confident that it will pick up though
2nd or 3rd pre-season?
Willing to give the kid another pre-season under his belt for sure.
But if his numbers havn't improved by the middle of next season then he never will make it.

2nd or 3rd pre-season?
Willing to give the kid another pre-season under his belt for sure.
But if his numbers havn't improved by the middle of next season then he never will make it.
I was being a little lenient given his height, but you’re likely to be more right than I am on this. Players who make it normally show something in the first two seasons if they’re not riddled with injuries.

I was being a little lenient given his height, but you’re likely to be more right than I am on this. Players who make it normally show something in the first two seasons if they’re not riddled with injuries.
Hopefully by this time next year there will be some light.

didn't he have a 25 touch game only a few weeks ago..?

Maybe he needs a spell?

Probably
Been a big year for him was one of the slower guys in the time trials at the start of the year so I would imagine he’s had a big year mainly focusing on endurance and conditioning

Plus the fact he’s grown a f ton over the last 12 months he’s probably really starting to feel the effects of a long season

VFL report suggests that he simply struggled to have an impact despite his best endeavours. Not concerned as it happens to first year kids every now and then and he has played good games this season already. Expect him to bounce back over the next couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our (Richmond) first round drafting sucks balls

You would have to compare it to a reasonable sample of other clubs to make that statement authoritatively.

Our last 13 first picks, with the 3 worst taken before them and 3 best taken after them based on what they have shown and current value in my slightly ill informed opinion:

2018 Pick 20 Riley Collier-Dawkins. Early days, strong draft looks lots of good players before him, RCD has it all to prove yet. Nit of guessing here based on what we have seen so far...

worst 3 before pick 20 were McHenry(16) Sturt(17) Stocker(19)
best 3 after pick 20 were Ian Hill 24(small forward not needed at The Swinburne,) Jack Ross 43, Matthew Parker 47.

2017 Jack Higgins at 17 can only be said to be going well overall....

Worst 3 taken before Dow 3 Coffield 8 Fogarty 12
Best 3 taken after Tim Kelly 24 Balta 25 Liam Ryan 26

Long way to go for these guys, our pick looks fine though not necessarily inspired.

2016 we effectively got Prestia with about pick 10 value.

Worst 3 before that Settefield 5 Petrevski-Seton 6 and Scrimshaw 7.
Best 3 after Witherden 23 Stewart 40 and Ratugolea 43 but there were loads of other good players available after pick 10.

This looks a good win given much worse players went earlier and nobody after is clearly better than Prestia to this point.

2015 we took Daniel Rioli at pick 15. Was looking a great prospect before the shocking foot injury in GF but in any event has been a really positive addition to the club.

Worst 3 before Schache 2 Ah Chee 8 and Matthew Kennedy 13.
Best 3 after plenty left but I would say Dunkley 25 Gresham 18 Burton 19 look about the best.

You could not call this a bad pick though there are some after Hom going better right now, but Rioli has a really good body of work and plenty before him are struggling. No way of knowing for sure whether the foot injury has limited him, he looked like being anything prior to that.

2014 Corey Ellis at 12. You could only call this a bust, though not a total wipeout.

Worst 3 prior Mccartin 1 Pickett 4 Ahern 7(all hampered by injury issues so not necessarily foreseeable)
Best 3 after weak looking draft lot but as you get down the pecking order some good ones emerge Weller 13, Took Miller 29 and Haris Andrews 61 ! perhaps the best

Had a poor one here by any standards but plenty of other busts before pick 40, perhaps about half of them. Injuries may have hampered our boy to a greater extent than could be reasonably foreseen.

2013 Ben Lennon at 12. Howler by us, more or less a total wipeout.

Worst 3 prior maybe Kolodjashnij 5 Mcdonald 8 and Freeman 10.
Best 3 after Cripps 13 Zach Merrett 26 Sicily 56 but loads of good players after 12, lots went for low picks though.

Straight out failure.

2012 Nick Vlastuin 9. Really good career so far.

Worst 3 prior O'Rourke 2, Toumpas 4 Mayes 8
Best 3 after Joe Daniher(f/s) 10, Brodie Grundy 18, Jack Viney(f/s) 26

Really good pick this considering not much available after him that has fired and some shocking picks before him.

2011 Brandon Ellis 15. Had a very nice career with some minor hiccups only. Very reliable player.

Worst prior Buntine 5 Longer 8 Sumner 10
Best after Tom Mitchell(f/s) 21 Yeo 30 Brad Hill 33 also Lacie Neale went 58

There were the 4 very good players who went later but that was about it. And some shockers were taken prior so we did fine with this one. Fine pick.

2010 Reece Conca 6. Patchy career mainly due to injuries otherwise solid AFl level footballer.

Worst 3 prior Bennell 2 Day 3 Polec 5.
Best 3 after Lynch 11 Isaac Smith 19 Luke Parker 40. a few quality playersspread throughout the draft after 6.

Below par for the pick but not a shocker by any extent, played plenty of footy still a best 22 player at Freo and not foreseeable he would have such a rotten run of injuries.

2009. Dustin Martin 3. Best player in draft without question.

Scully and Trengove went before him. Morabito immediately after.

Best players after Cunnington 5 Jetta 14 Fyfe 20.

Nailed it.

2008 Ty Vickery 8. Didn't turn out brilliantly, not a wipeout though, got 100+ games from him and he looked good at times, also got a good comp pick on his way out the door.

Worst 3 prior Watts 1 Hartlett 4 Yarran 6
Best 3 after Sidebottom 11 Schuey 18 Sloane 44

there were other good players available after him but clubs were firing blanks all over in the top 40. Vickery turned out a poor but not shocking pick.

2007 Cotchin 2. We did very well there, no doubt.

Kreuzer prior you would have to say an inferior career.
Best 3 after Clangerfield 10 Cyril Rioli 12 Alex Rance 18.

Really good pick with a really good pick.

2006 Jack Riewoldt pick 13. Superb selection for that pick.

Worst before Gumbleton 2. Thorp 6. Everett 11.
Best after Edwards 26 Goldstein 37 Houli 42

So Picks 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10*, 12, 12, 13, 15, 15, 17, 20

I would say we got players raked around 1(Martin) 4(Cotchin) 4(Riewoldt) 30+(Vickery) 15(Conca) 15(B Ellis) 8(Vlastuin) 50+(Lennon) 40+(C Ellis) 13(Rioli) 5(Prestia) 17(Higgins) and unknown in the case of Collier-Dawkins but not a particularly positive start. So I have about 6 of our last 13 first picks ranked below where they were picked. A few I have around the level they were picked. And Martin and Riewoldt huge winners for their picks. We got Rance in the first round as well of course, a massive winner. Are that many other clubs really doing better with their first picks over that period? Guessing but I would think over that 13 year block we would be at least average for the known results of our first picks.

Another thing is we have effectively had 6 top 10 picks in that period and I would think Martin, Prestia, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Vlastuin, Stack, would clearly be in the top 10 from the draft year in which we got them, and all bar Vlastuin of those in the top 5.

*effectively worth about pick 10 was the trade for Prestia

Last year he was a bolter in the draft - because he was a big strong and got the hard ball, got it out well, and could burst through congestion and hit targets. But at best he was OK for disposal numbers. It's turning that raw talent into something more productive and consistent that will take time.

It's not like he was one of the known juniors with a long track record. We bought ourselves a glittery, shiny, stone and hope that we can polish it into a gem. Right now I expect that he is finding it very hard to adapt to much larger bodies, much higher fitness, and a lot less time to do his thing.

He's still got a skinny upper body. I suspect that when he builds up and realizes he can hit packs and burst them open at VFL level, and gets the fitness to do it over and over again, and learns how to get outside and gain uncontested ball, he'll suddenly start getting good numbers. Then he'll build to AFL. But his physique and talent are genuine inside bull. Right now he can't effectively play that because he isn't ready muscle wise. Give him a little time to catch up on the learning and development that other top 20 picks have already had. I'm very hopeful that in 3 years time we'll be very happy with a monster inside mid with 2 mums

You would have to compare it to a reasonable sample of other clubs to make that statement authoritatively.

Our last 13 first picks, with the 3 worst taken before them and 3 best taken after them based on what they have shown and current value in my slightly ill informed opinion:

2018 Pick 20 Riley Collier-Dawkins. Early days, strong draft looks lots of good players before him, RCD has it all to prove yet. Nit of guessing here based on what we have seen so far...

best 3 after pick 20 were Ian Hill 24(small forward not needed at The Swinburne,) Jack Ross 43, Matthew Parker 47.

Long way to go for these guys, our pick looks fine though not necessarily inspired.

Best 3 after Witherden 23 Stewart 40 and Ratugolea 43 but there were loads of other good players available after pick 10.

This looks a good win given much worse players went earlier and nobody after is clearly better than Prestia to this point.

2015 we took Daniel Rioli at pick 15. Was looking a great prospect before the shocking foot injury in GF but in any event has been a really positive addition to the club.

Best 3 after plenty left but I would say Dunkley 25 Gresham 18 Burton 19 look about the best.

You could not call this a bad pick though there are some after Hom going better right now, but Rioli has a really good body of work and plenty before him are struggling. No way of knowing for sure whether the foot injury has limited him, he looked like being anything prior to that.

2014 Corey Ellis at 12. You could only call this a bust, though not a total wipeout.

Worst 3 prior Mccartin 1 Pickett 4 Ahern 7(all hampered by injury issues so not necessarily foreseeable)
Best 3 after weak looking draft lot but as you get down the pecking order some good ones emerge Weller 13, Took Miller 29 and Haris Andrews 61 ! perhaps the best

Had a poor one here by any standards but plenty of other busts before pick 40, perhaps about half of them. Injuries may have hampered our boy to a greater extent than could be reasonably foreseen.

Best 3 after Cripps 13 Zach Merrett 26 Sicily 56 but loads of good players after 12, lots went for low picks though.

Straight out failure.

Really good pick this considering not much available after him that has fired and some shocking picks before him.

2011 Brandon Ellis 15. Had a very nice career with some minor hiccups only. Very reliable player.

There were the 4 very good players who went later but that was about it. And some shockers were taken prior so we did fine with this one. Fine pick.

2010 Reece Conca 6. Patchy career mainly due to injuries otherwise solid AFl level footballer.

Best 3 after Lynch 11 Isaac Smith 19 Luke Parker 40. a few quality playersspread throughout the draft after 6.

Below par for the pick but not a shocker by any extent, played plenty of footy still a best 22 player at Freo and not foreseeable he would have such a rotten run of injuries.

Nailed it.

2008 Ty Vickery 8. Didn't turn out brilliantly, not a wipeout though, got 100+ games from him and he looked good at times, also got a good comp pick on his way out the door.

there were other good players available after him but clubs were firing blanks all over in the top 40. Vickery turned out a poor but not shocking pick.

I would say we got players raked around 1(Martin) 4(Cotchin) 4(Riewoldt) 30+(Vickery) 15(Conca) 15(B Ellis) 8(Vlastuin) 50+(Lennon) 40+(C Ellis) 13(Rioli) 5(Prestia) 17(Higgins) and unknown in the case of Collier-Dawkins but not a particularly positive start. So I have about 6 of our last 13 first picks ranked below where they were picked. A few I have around the level they were picked. And Martin and Riewoldt huge winners for their picks. We got Rance in the first round as well of course, a massive winner. Are that many other clubs really doing better with their first picks over that period? Guessing but I would think over that 13 year block we would be at least average for the known results of our first picks.

Another thing is we have effectively had 6 top 10 picks in that period and I would think Martin, Prestia, Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Vlastuin, Stack, would clearly be in the top 10 from the draft year in which we got them, and all bar Vlastuin of those in the top 5.

Straight out failure.

Yeah this is probably the worst here, indicative of how we drafted for a long time, taking the flanker over the midfielder :(
To be fair, Lennon was a gun at the u18 level so we would have thought we were getting a star 200-game goalkicker, and Cripps wasn't exactly performing like the kind of player he has become, but yeah, I feel like you take the gun pure midfielder every time unless it's a gun key position player there at the pick, then, you look at what you really need and choose accordingly.

Overall though we have actually done pretty darn well, and we ended up Premiers and are still well in the window :D

Hopefully we continue the trend of our 2018 drafting and get some more quality midfielders, as well as another key defender. I think we are okay to top up ruck with, say, Paddy Ryder, and look to draft a gun one when we're well-stocked elsewhere. We'll have Nank for a good few years to come and can get backup in numerous places before needing to draft one. CCJ should turn out good too.

Last edited:

Straight out failure.

Nailed it.

Nice writeup. Think we’ve burnt a few there. Our first round drafting may look worse than what it actually is due to our ability to nail rookies and later picks. We’ve definitely found some gems. We should just trade away our first pick every year and pluck gun rookies and later picks.

There’s reasons why players of his type take a while to develop. Of course he’s no sure thing, but the potential reward is enormous.
I wouldn’t have thought he’d get games until 2021. Even then limited.
We could have given up on Grimes.
2021?
Come off it mate.
If he's not belting the door down by mid 2020 then he won't make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back