#28 Oscar McDonald - ... aaand he's gone

Remove this Banner Ad

Did a great job on Roughead yesterday. Shining light in a defence that has been otherwise horrid.

Everyone likes Roughead but he has always been a garbage time player - feasts when the game is over and yesterday was no exception, kicked his goals when the contest was over.

It still pisses me off how calm he looks on the field when kicking. Like his sidesteps or candy sells look so bloody relaxed i just wanna see some intensity but I'll admit he played really well on the weekend
I talked to him, and his sponsors, for some time at the player BBQ. Just on good to chat with, he was my favourite closely followed by Frosty and Bugg. He’s actually really funny - obviously very close to his brother but takes the piss out of him constantly.

He said Tommy puts his entire recent success swung forward down to what he has learned in defence. Oscar said Tommy lives the life of Reilly, and when he marks he has only one decision to make - send it in the general direction of the goal. He also said being a back man can suck because if a forward misses, people say s**t happens, but if a backman screws up the opposition goals and nobody forgets - or remembers the last 15 things you get right (he might read this board).

I asked him whether this means he plans to reinvent himself as a tall forward in a few years. He said please god no.

He also talked a bit about golf because I knew he was really good so might like to talk about it - so I asked him about his handicap. Problem was I don’t know lots about golf so was winging it a bit.

I don’t know where I’m heading with this. Anyhow I like OMac. We should build a better defensive structure - a few of those guys deserve better.

Just went through the game (was there live) Oscar had the better of Roughhead no doubt, beat him and outmarked him constantly. It was when Roughead got loose and ended up on Hibberd or Lever fluffed something that he got a goal or set one up. He did miss some fists but the wet ball may have made it a "miss"

Just went through the game (was there live) Oscar had the better of Roughhead no doubt, beat him and outmarked him constantly. It was when Roughead got loose and ended up on Hibberd or Lever fluffed something that he got a goal or set one up. He did miss some fists but the wet ball may have made it a "miss"
It's funny how quickly I've become more confident in his stopping ability. Should handle Riewoldt, Daniher, and Lynch in the next month without any issues.

As promised, bump.
Has been a shining light among a truckload of turds putting on the MFC jumper this season. I'd hate to think of where we would be this season if we had not pumped games into him early on in his career. I still cannot believe there are people who scream for him to be dropped! They are supporters who clearly do not watch the games! OMAC would be in the top 3 or 4 so far this season for sure. Well done OMAC!

He’s a gun, and about half of his goals conceded would be in junk time I reckon. The only defender to manage Ben Brown all year too

You need to put the breaks on a little tonight. Fox footy showed 2 occasions his poor decisions cost us goals. He was good not great.

You need to put the breaks on a little tonight. Fox footy showed 2 occasions his poor decisions cost us goals. He was good not great.
He towelled Riewoldt, plain and simple. Made a dumb mistake at the 20th minute mark of the fourth quarter but was barely beaten in the air all night and Riewoldt would have kicked 4 or 5 on most defenders tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the only defender doing anything for a while there. With the amount of easy entries the Tigers had, he did very very well.

He towelled Riewoldt, plain and simple. Made a dumb mistake at the 20th minute mark of the fourth quarter but was barely beaten in the air all night and Riewoldt would have kicked 4 or 5 on most defenders tonight.

He didn't towel Riewoldt, thats hyperbole. Like I said fox showed a couple occasions he was directly responsible for us conceding with very poor defensive decisions. By your logic Hogans man smashed him because Hoges only kicked 2. He was good but he's still got a long way too go.

He didn't towel Riewoldt, thats hyperbole. Like I said fox showed a couple occasions he was directly responsible for us conceding with very poor defensive decisions. By your logic Hogans man smashed him because Hoges only kicked 2. He was good but he's still got a long way too go.

We had 13 less inside 50s and the Tigers inside 50s were a mile better than ours.

He didn't towel him but he absolutely won the battle on the day. If he wins every battle then that's all we ask for, it's up to other players to fix the ease in which teams send the ball inside our defensive 50.

We had 13 less inside 50s and the Tigers inside 50s were a mile better than ours.

He didn't towel him but he absolutely won the battle on the day. If he wins every battle then that's all we ask for, it's up to other players to fix the ease in which teams send the ball inside our defensive 50.

I'm not saying he didn't have a good game though he did. But he wasn't some dominant unstoppable force. He did his job, I was wrong about him but that doesn't mean every ok game he plays becomes the greatest in the world.

Bit lucky that Riewoldt missed a few gettable shots. OMac is looking very good thus far but he's not blanketing his opponent like Scarlett or SOS.

He made a few mistakes no doubt, a couple led to goals, a couple didn't, but he clearly pants Riewoldt for the majority of the night. Comfortably played a better game than Rance at the other end as well, but don't tell that to the media, they'll never believe that Rance is anything other than incredible, despite his 10 and 10 less (kg's and cm's) opponent kicking 4 on him.

I preferred the old days when OMac was trash and we were watchable.

Can i blame the teams form on him becoming a decent full back? :drunk:

He's been good, at least someone has improved under this coaching staff, the rest of them are either on a treadmill or moon walking themselves to a delisting though.

He payed really well yesterday, spoiled when appropriate and went for the contested marks (and held em too) when appropriate. His development has been coming along great.

Still needs to be a bit cleaner with his disposal but he has been making good progress in that space too.

Was anyone expecting him (or 99% of the leagues defenders) to be like Scarlett or SOS?

"Toweling up" players is something the best players do, IMO. 0 goal games with hardly a sniff. OMac has been solid to very good, but he's still giving up a fair few contests. As I said, Riewoldt could have had 4 if he'd laced his kicking boots on.

Riewoldt has years of experience and is feeding off some of the best delivery in the league.

Meanwhile our entire game plan is shambolic and our mids are useless at getting back to assist.

Given the above and the experience differential I don't think we could have asked for much more from OMac yesterday. Not under the illusion that he's amazing but he'll keep steadily improving and doesn't need to be elite in his position if we can actually get our s**t together, utilise Lever properly and actually defend together as a team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back