• 1.7 tackles
  • 0.3 hitouts
  • 0.9 inside 50s
  • 0.3 rebound 50s
  • 0.3 frees for
  • 0.1 frees against
  • 62.67 DT points
gY4OTo5.png
Gee those stats look awfully average for a vfl player.

You need to remember House wasn't even picked to be in the 'main' vfl squad full time this year he was picked to play under the 23rd player rule where you only play 3 or 4 games, he improved that much that they moved him from that into the main squad and he became a regular in the VFL side this year. The guy is pretty raw but has improved very rapidly in 12 months and there are a lot of indicators that he will do so again moving from a part time to full time training environment. The success rate of key forwards drafted outside the top 30 is to put it mildly pretty crap, he is a good pick.

Pretty sure I've read you advocating this guy's credentials previously PO, and I absolutely loved what I saw of him in the VFL this year.
No idea if that ability will translate to AFL level, but I am glad the club has taken him with a later pick because I'm keen to find out - undoubtedly excellent overhead and has a good leap as you say; will no doubt need to continue to work on his endurance and work out how to find more of the ball around the ground when the marks aren't coming.

That is just vintage Whit3y.

I certainly do rate the guy. There are a couple of things I would say, his natural leap and his vice like hands remind me of Pods, he has a real vice like grip and once he gets his hands on it he usually clunks it and outmarks bigger players. With his leap and his hands it is going to mean that to stop him marking it defenders will have to chop the arms a lot which means he should get a lot of frees. Obviously the rest of his game isn't as good as Pods who was blessed with a rare combination of speed, leap, endurance and agility for a guy that big because he was an absolute fitness freak (which House is the opposite of) and for that reason it will be a long time before you find another Pods in the state leagues again. The other thing is his attack on the ball reminds me of Rooke, he will fly at marks from anywhere or back into packs (he backed into Clark that many times this year and didnt care what was coming) and basically has no regard for his own safety. In a key forward that courage is important as it means you can rely on them to contest and get it to ground. Also you can teach players skills or fitness (and lets be honest most players picked late have flaws) but attacking the ball at 100 miles an hour you can't teach, it's innate and you either have it or you don't. And the guy has pretty good skills by hand and foot. I think his game can really translate to AFL. His major issue will be that because Hawkins has the movement of an old bus at times House won't be able to play deep close to goal he will have to cover a lot of k's up and down the ground as the 2nd KPF and there is no doubt he doesn't have the endurance to do this yet. But that may improve quicker than we think in a full time program. I don't doubt the talent though. Put it this way, once he gets AFL standard fitness (however long that takes) I predict it will take him about two weeks to go past Aaron Black, House has a lot of talent.

My worry is he's another one of these in between size forwards, they rarely nail down a role at AFL Level.

My worry is he's another one of these in between size forwards, they rarely nail down a role at AFL Level.

Oh, Yeah like........
josh kennedy 194cm
Jarryd roughhead 193cm
Jeremy cameron 195 cm
Jack Gunston 193cm
sam day 196cm
L Franklin 196 cm.

Obviously not comparing them ability wise, but he has a suitable frame for the position, its just looks like the early running is going to be determined by fitness and what Aaron black is doing initially.

How do his stats compare to other VFL key forwards?

The key stat that highlights his true attribute is 25 contested marks in 11 games (haven't seen his updated statistics from the Elimination Final). They are elite numbers. He is a genuine target, a player you know will always be competitive in the air. While I saw him as a rookie prospect pre-draft, he does fill a need and doesn't look at of place on a primary list.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Saw the VFL a fair bit this year too and really pleased with the choice although I'm still surprised he went in the main draft. Great leap and hands...... skills you can't teach!

I don't have the concerns others have about his endurance as this is something that can be improved. As Pure mentioned he came late to the program...but he seemed to play the games out well and present in 4th quarters. His body shape certainly wasn't that of an athlete and he looked to blow up early but he still seemed able to run games out.

I'm actually hoping that once he becomes conditioned his running will become a strength.

Oh, Yeah like........
josh kennedy 194cm
Jarryd roughhead 193cm
Jeremy cameron 195 cm
Jack Gunston 193cm
sam day 196cm
L Franklin 196 cm.

Obviously not comparing them ability wise, but he has a suitable frame for the position, its just looks like the early running is going to be determined by fitness and what Aaron black is doing initially.
Gary ablett 185 cm.

If you have good hands and a good leap then height doesn't matter so much.

Gary ablett 185 cm.

If you have good hands and a good leap then height doesn't matter so much.

Id sort of think that there is probably a range of expected physical attributes , and once you start to move away from the most commonly accepted norm , then you have to present with something exceptional in another area to balance it or make you special enough to succeed. Even in his era , Ablett was not what id call the ideal height for FF , ( Dunstall 188, Lockett 191) , but he had so many more attributes that it enabled him to play the position with astronomical impact. Although I do think that his lack of size also contributed to players like SOS and Frawley being able to counter him on occasion when umpires let certain tactics roll , and when Ablett was not 100% fit. Playing "Stay Home" against them was not in his interest.

Id say 193 to 198 would be the accepted norm for a KPP these days Hawkins 198 , Patton 198 , Tex Walker 194 , McCartin 194 ..plenty of great players from the past would look a bit smallish.... and as most teams do not setup to have one player as the sole target , its probably important to look at the group of players together. Hawkins is at the extreme end power forward at 198 , we do not need another like him imo. Id love another Pods type and he was 193.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id sort of think that there is probably a range of expected physical attributes , and once you start to move away from the most commonly accepted norm , then you have to present with something exceptional in another area to balance it or make you special enough to succeed. Even in his era , Ablett was not what id call the ideal height for FF , ( Dunstall 188, Lockett 191) , but he had so many more attributes that it enabled him to play the position with astronomical impact. Although I do think that his lack of size also contributed to players like SOS and Frawley being able to counter him on occasion when umpires let certain tactics roll , and when Ablett was not 100% fit. Playing "Stay Home" against them was not in his interest.

Id say 193 to 198 would be the accepted norm for a KPP these days Hawkins 198 , Patton 198 , Tex Walker 194 , McCartin 194 ..plenty of great players from the past would look a bit smallish.... and as most teams do not setup to have one player as the sole target , its probably important to look at the group of players together. Hawkins is at the extreme end power forward at 198 , we do not need another like him imo. Id love another Pods type and he was 193.

It's good that House seems to such a strong contested marking player. Hopefully he can make it and become a part of our best 22, because we've really only got Tomahawk that can clunk them in a one-on-one.

194cm is plenty big enough based on the height of some of the best key forwards at afl level. He also plays a bit taller than that because he has such a good leap and good hands. The bigger question is just if he can build up real AFL level endurance so he can use those attributes to their fullest extent.

Great pick up , watched his 1st game as the 23rd player and he kicked 5 goals. He's really good overhead and I liked the fact that for a bigger body he was really clean below his knees. As people are saying on this thread I think being full time now and improvement in his fitness you will have a beauty !.

Interesting that he considers himself as a Defender. What were his games like as a Defender in the VFL?

He looks pretty natural as a Key Forward tbh.

Versatility is great.

Interesting that he considers himself as a Defender. What were his games like as a Defender in the VFL?

He looks pretty natural as a Key Forward tbh.

Versatility is great.
Dont really recall in my limited viewing of VFL him as a defender.

If you were to parallel the skills I saw as KPF into a defender - id probably go with HT based on his ability to read the ball in flight, his ability to get into the right spot to compete for the ball, his great hands in marking - or spoiling - and his lack of concern going back into packs.

Does that mean he would be a great defender - hard to say - but its a nice option to potentially have - although I feel he'd have more chance at game time as a forward.

Either way, he'll still need to add fitness and size.

Go Catters

Dont really recall in my limited viewing of VFL him as a defender.

If you were to parallel the skills I saw as KPF into a defender - id probably go with HT based on his ability to read the ball in flight, his ability to get into the right spot to compete for the ball, his great hands in marking - or spoiling - and his lack of concern going back into packs.

Does that mean he would be a great defender - hard to say - but its a nice option to potentially have - although I feel he'd have more chance at game time as a forward.

Either way, he'll still need to add fitness and size.

Go Catters

Id probably visualise another defender than Harry but who knows. An Egan or a Rance type.. stronger body. Players play at lower levels a certain way , and not always the same way at higher levels.

The thing id say though is he hardly seems an obvious PnP CHF which would take a certain change in the MC selection process to put a learning player in that role. Its would appear they want now players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back