Retired #31: Dustin Fletcher - Legend & VFL Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Please excuse the intrusion, but I hope to God that Fletcher gets a farewell game on Sunday and this pillar of football is chaired off the ground. Every fan in the MCG will give him the long standing ovation he deserves. From an opposition supporter, thank you Fletch for your 23 years of service to our great game, and congratulations.

Feel free. And beautifully put.

Just wondering do you guys think Fletch will head down the path of coaching? I don't know/remember if ever hearing him ever saying it is in his interests:).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think because his retirement has been imminent for so long, its stopped us from getting too sentimental or sad about him retiring.

well fudge it.

I'm sad.

I'm sad that we'll never see him run out again. he's been the corner stone of our team for nearly a quarter of a century. he's just been THERE. and he's Mr Reliable. the last line of defence was always rock solid with Fletch on patrol. and there has been no better defender at reading the play in the history of our game than Fletch. there's a reason why Matthew Scarlet rates him as the best. because he is.

but it's more than that, he's the last tie to our great era. and not just our last great era (2000)... but the great era before that! 1993! the flag we won with Harvey, Salmon, Thompson and Watson. Nubrik on the jumper.

*sigh*

we're a lesser side for his retirement. who else is gonna run down a Carlton flog half their age and half their height. who else is gonna spoil the impossible spoil. and the torps from 70 metres out.

thankyou Fletch.

you legend.

Its time for him to start personally coaching his sons to have them ready to dominate for Essendon in a few years. I'm expecting a bare minimum of 15+ years from each of them.

Fletch was a major part of our strong defense for so long, helping players like Hooker, Carlisle, Hibberd, Hurley.. all of them.

I look at Hurleys superb spoils and they are so Fletch like.

Any chance that he will be on the defensive coaching panel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back