Player Watch #31 Indhi Kirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 179cm
D.O.B: 07/04/2005
Leagues: AFL U18 Championships, Coates Talent League Boys

dGcMHfHe.jpg

Apr 7, 2007 Brett's 150th game

CTBWJSy23MHP455361551.jpg

Indhi Kirk enjoyed a stellar over-age season with the QBE Swans Academy this year, and is no stranger to the red and white, also featuring at VFL level this year for the Swans, making his senior debut against Sandringham in Round 15.
After putting in plenty of work and putting his best foot forward this year, Kirk lead the Talent League averages in 2023 for tackles (8.2 per game) and inside 50s (6.8) to go with his 23.8 disposals and and 3.6 marks from five appearances for the QBE Sydney Swans Academy.
He also ran out for the Allies in 2023, part of the team that won the U18 National Championships for the first time.

08VirD25.jpg

Indhi Kirk attempts a mark during the Coates Talent League match between Sydney Swans Academy and Western Jets at Highgate Reserve on March 25, 2023. Picture: AFL Photos
Category B Rookies
Sydney - Indhi Kirk

Last edited:

Indhi in many ways is just like his old man. Unheralded and not flashy but if you look at his numbers last season, he does seem to just go about his business with purpose. And like Cleary, can tackle. I'm not saying he's going to make it or even play AFL but I'm sure plenty said the same about Brett at the equivalent stage. However Captain Kirk managed to forge an excellent AFL career based on effort and determination.

Indhi, welcome to where you always wanted to be.

Being the son of a champion must come with a lot of baggage, good and bad. But if you go half as hard as your dad did, right from his first game, you'll be alright. As a father, I can tell you from experience, that you're already a champion in your Dad's eyes.

In his debut game of round 19, 1999, your dad kicked 3 goals had 19 disposals and took several crunching contested marks when the game was in the balance. He was one of the Swans' very best that day.

It was no mean feat to shine in a Swans team that featured Kelly, Maxfield, Cresswell, Nicks, Schwass, Lewis, Bolton and Stafford on ball. With guys like Micky O and Plugger heading the forwards and names like Dunkley, Matthews and Crouch in defence. Goodes wasn't selected for this game, though he'd debuted earlier that year.

At the end of the millenium the Swans were going through a changing of the old guard, much like we are today. The stalwarts who had raised them off the bottom in 1994 to take them to a Grand Final in 1996 were feeling their age and one-by-one they began retiring.

On that day Plugger had his colours lowered by Mick Martin. He kicked only the one goal and missed several gettables. He retired a few games later - though he still managed 22 goals over those last 3 games and he remained number one in the league for goals/game even in his final year* At the other end, Dunkley battled to contain Wayne Carey. John Blakey was there playing for North Melbourne, though our very own Horse Longmire missed that game, Allison too, was yet to cross to the Swans. The game is almost a who's who of the Swans past and future.

Other players followed Plugger into retirement within the next few years, while the future champions of the 2005/2006 Grand finals were already fighting for spots in the team. With so much genuine talent vying for spots in the team, Kirk had to struggle to rise above the pack. His sheer tenacity won him a spot in the team. That same tenacity became a hallmark of his game. He was part of the historic passing of the Bloods mantle from one generation to the next. He shaped the rest of his story himself. All he ever needed was a chance.

Indhi, your dad was the epitome of the old adage, "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog. Bring your best inner dog and make your own history.

24 years later Brett Kirk's debut game remains a cracking good watch

*Note: I don't count the 3 games/3 goals of Plugger's ill-advised and (mercifully) brief comeback in 2002

Goodes wasn't selected for this game, though he'd debuted earlier that year.
I'm pretty sure Goodes was injured rather than "not selected" for this game. He fractured something in his arm late in that season and missed a few games.

Given he won the Rising Star award, it's hard to believe he wasn't an automatic selection (when available) by the end of that season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Indhi..
Tenacity and determination are two excellent attributes to take into any sport and every game..
Ill bet a 6-pack of beer that kirk will become the next Nick Smith and lock down on the competitions best small forwards for over 200 games and never win a brownlow vote, but win the respect of all his team mates and every Swans supporter..

Great to see father sons at the club. Especially legends of the club like Brett kirk. Can't help but root for the kid

I recall Brett talking about how his dad instilled determination in him and I'm sure he's passed those traits on to his son. One thing we can be pretty sure of is that Indhi will give it his all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back