Traded #31 (prev #47) Jeremy Finlayson (Pick 85, 2014 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Jeremy Finlayson

upload_2014-11-17_7-3-26.jpeg

Height: 195cm
Weight: 82kg
D/O/B: 2/9/1996
Position: KPP

New GIANT Jeremy Finlayson says he already feels at home at the club after being involved with the PM Capital GIANTS Academy program. The 18-year old grew up in Culcairn in the Riverina and came through the PM Capital GIANTS Academy before moving to Sydney and playing for the UWS GIANTS and Sydney Hills Eagles in the NEAFL. Finlayson and Canberra local Jack Steele both secured a spot on the GIANTS list at today's NAB AFL Academy Players Bidding Meeting.
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-10-06/a-dream-come-true

Jeremy Finlayson is a young man of few words, but that’s about the only thing he’s short of. The 18-year-old stands a towering 195cm tall, tips the scales at 82kg, and is, by his own admission, growing at a rate of knots. His game too is big, bold, and eye-catching, and it’s got him well and truly in the cross hairs of a raft of recruiters. Finlayson has produced the best football of his fledgling career by some distance this season, highlighted by a barnstorming display for the UWS GIANTS in Round 19 of the NEAFL season, which led to his Rising Star nomination.
http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2707&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=c7899c3205

YOUNG Greater Western Sydney recruit Jeremy Finlayson will have a delayed start to his first pre-season after undergoing hip surgery. The 18-year old will be on a restricted program for 12-16 weeks and is expected to resume full training in late January.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-04/surgery-to-delay-young-giants-preseason

Last edited:
Season Summary: Jeremy Finlayson
GIANTS Media September 25, 2015 11:34 AM

FinlaysonSeasonSummarySLIDER.jpeg

Jeremy Finlayson was named in the UWS GIANTS’ best players in five out of the last six matches.

Our Season Summary looks back at how each GIANTS player fared during the 2015 AFL season.

Name: Jeremy Finlayson

Number: 47

Games: 13 NEAFL, 0 AFL

AFL Fantasy Average: 58

Awards: Nil

Background: Jeremy Finlayson is yet to make his senior debut after arriving at the GIANTS through the PM CAPITAL GIANTS Academy at the end of 2014.

Best Game: NEAFL Round 20 v Swans Reserves – 19 touches, 5 marks, 4 inside-50s, 3 rebound-50s

Summary: Finlayson had a delayed start to the year after undergoing hip surgery in November but stormed home to produce some consistent performances in the later stages of the season. The athletic utility was named in the UWS GIANTS’ best players in five out of the last six matches. He played a variety of positions across the ground, but looked most dangerous using his deceptive speed at half-back running off his opponent.

Pat On The Back: Unfortunately the highlight for Finlayson came during the UWS GIANTS’ 89-point loss to Aspley in the NEAFL Preliminary Final. After a slow start, Finlayson found his feet and streamed away from his opponent in defence on several occasions in the second half. He finished the match as best on ground but was unable to help his side get across the line.

What They Said: “He (Finlayson) could be anything” - NEAFL Coach Brett Hand

Look Ahead: With a full pre-season under his belt and another summer in the gym Finlayson is expected to take another step forward in his development. A diverse player who can play across a number of positions, Finlayson will be working hard to break into the senior side, either as a tall dashing defender or high half-forward.

- See more at: http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2015-09-25/season-summary-jeremy-finlayson#.dpuf

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...0/news-story/40cce8994980e2026474b1eceacf378a

Jeremy Finlayson signs new deal with GWS, tying him to club until the end of 2020
Neil Cordy, The Daily Telegraph
June 6, 2018 9:03am

AFTER the Giants season defining win over Adelaide their week has got even better with talented defender Jeremy Finlayson re-signing with the club for another two years until the end of the 2020 season.

The 22 year old was dropped after the loss to North Melbourne in Hobart but has been one of the finds of the year playing in defence.

His speed, athleticism and long kicking have been a feature of his game which has gone to a new level in 2018.

Out of contract at the end of the season the kid from the tiny NSW town of Culcairn was happy to have his future settled immediately.

“It’s unreal,” Finlayson told the Daily Telegraph.

“I didn’t think twice about it. Sydney is home for me, I’ve been here six years already. I was going to wait till the end of the year but I thought I would get it out of the way now.”

Finlayson grew up in the tiny NSW town of Culcairn and came to the Giants when he was still in High School six years ago. He has responded well to his axing and was one of the best in the Giants reserves win over the NT Thunder in Darwin on Sunday.

“I just have to work on a few things in the NEAFL and hopefully I can get back in soon, Finlayson said.”

-- More on the link

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-06-07/pocket-profile-jeremy-finlayson

Name: Jeremy Finlayson

Nickname: Dorsal

Grand Final – day, twilight or night: Twilight

Bounce – yes or no: yes

Best set shot at your club: Callan Ward

Most underrated AFL player: James Stewart

My coach often says… “She’s on boys.”

Best advice you’ve received: Never lie

Greatest footy moment before the AFL: Winning Grand Final

Favourite AFLW player: Jess Dal Pos

Least-preferred teammate on road trips and why: Zach Sproule, always talks himself up

Funniest teammate: Heath Shaw

Which teammates pick themselves in AFL Fantasy: Matt Flynn

If you could enter a teammate for My Kitchen Rules, who would it be and why: Harry Perryman, he’s uncoordinated

Team barracked for as a kid: Melbourne

Most inspiring movie: Saving Private Ryan

Best concert attended: Chet Faker

Three apps you can’t live without: Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook

Instagram or Twitter: Instagram

Favourite café: Piccolo’s, Rozelle

And what do you order: Piccolo Brekkie

Hidden talent: If I told you, it wouldn’t be hidden

Guilty pleasure: Sitting by the pool.

Your passions or interests outside footy: Fishing, shooting, beach

Your best traits are: Moustache

Favourite cartoon or movie character: Woody (Toy Story)

Favourite holiday spot: Morton Island

Best piece of advice your mum gave you: “You’re there for a reason, believe in yourself.”

Great story about some of the challenging times he has been through and he talks about it more in the footy phil podcast

Jeremy Finlayson traded to Port Adelaide at own request (due to family reasons - wife is South Australian & has just given birth) for a future third round pick.

Farewell Jeremy, thanks for your efforts for the Giants. A special mention to 2019, which was an excellent year from you. All the best in your future.

Capture - ToJ.PNG

GIANTS Farewell Finlayson (gwsgiants.com.au)

The GIANTS bid farewell to forward Jeremy Finlayson after a trade was reached with Port Adelaide early in the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.
Finlayson will join the Power in exchange for a future third-round selection.

With the club’s permission, Finlayson had been exploring his options to be closer to family following the birth of his first child. The 25-year-old missed the back half of the 2021 AFL season to remain in Queensland alongside his partner Kellie, who gave birth to their daughter Sophia in August. A GIANTS Academy graduate out of Culcairn in southern NSW, Finlayson made his debut in 2017 and kicked 90 goals over his 66 games for the club.

GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney wished Finlayson well. “While sad to see Jeremy leave, we understand and fully support the desire to be around family at this exciting time in his and Kellie’s lives,” McCartney said. “We’re pleased we were able to reach an agreement with Port Adelaide and will add to our draft hand for next year. We wish Jeremy, Kellie and Sophia all the best in their next chapter.”

Capture - TOJ 2.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back