Tom Hickey
[Player Profile TBA]

Tom Hickey
DOB:06 March 1991
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2010 Zone
RECRUITED FROM: Morningside (Qld)/Gold Coast/St Kilda

I love this man.

I looked back at what I posted when we traded for him and I wasn't particularly excited when we got him, I assumed he would just be a serviceable placeholder for a better developing ruckman with a big game every now and then. I never expected him to be a consistent top 10 player for us.

I also forgot that I apparently suggested we should maybe trade for Hickey way back in 2017 and sataris said he would s**t on my lawn for that.

I love this man.

I looked back at what I posted when we traded for him and I wasn't particularly excited when we got him, I assumed he would just be a serviceable placeholder for a better developing ruckman with a big game every now and then. I never expected him to be a consistent top 10 player for us.

I also forgot that I apparently suggested we should maybe trade for Hickey way back in 2017 and sataris said he would s**t on my lawn for that.
Well, I have to ask the question that everyone wants answered...

Did he?

I love this man.

I was happy we got him at the time. Felt he was the best available. As we worked our way into the preseason he seemed to settle in amazingly well. By the end of Rd3 he was (and still is!) a cult hero. A classic example of what someone can bring to a team far above and beyond simply his play.

I love this man.

Sorry, I got lost on my way to Engadine.

Watching the game against essendon, i was just thinking to myself, man this guy just makes us a better team by being there. I dont know if it was purely psycholigical on my part, but just seeing him in the centre at the start of the game you just know his presence (And work) will have things working in our favour.

I will say though, there was a passage of play, don't recall when it was, but the ball just seemed to move in his favour and he collected it without any effort, then he effortlessly disposed of it. I thought to myself at this point that this guy is just gifted, its almost as if he doesn't even have to try.

Great pick up, knew nothing of him beforehand and was pleasantly surprised. He did seem like a stop gap solution for a bag of crisps type trade, but Damn how misguided was that assumption.

Kane Cornes stated on AFL Round so far, that Sydney will never (not again this season) ever play two rucks again in Hickey and Ladhams

Kane Cornes stated on AFL Round so far, that Sydney will never (not again this season) ever play two rucks again in Hickey and Ladhams

Two rucks only works if one or both can play more than one position.
Neither of those two can.

Ladhams is meant to be a ruck/forward and certainly played that role at Port.

Ladhams can play forward, but admittedly looks a bit lost in our forward structure. From what I've seen he's more a mobile, roaming forward when he plays there - and we've got two others in Franklin and McDonald.

Although he's taller than McLean, he's not as good under the panicked high ball to the goalsquare. In his favour is his defensive pressure, which was pretty good for a big guy and more effective than what McLean offers.

Still, it wasn't a great showing. I reckon we give them one more week and if it doesn't work, we drop one for Amartey/McLean/Reid. McLean probably least skilful, but best match from a structural perspective. Amartey is in the best VFL form. And Reid has the experience. So any could be selected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2nd half was basically Hickey going one out in the ruck and Ladhams taking a few minutes of relief here and there as well as spending a lot of time on the bench. Then when he rotated forward he looked completely off the pace - although he did nail a few good tackles with excellent effort. I'm expecting Ladhams will get dropped this week and given a block of reserves footy to get back into the swing of playing as a forward (as well as ruck) because he looked way out of sync.

Longmire trusts Hickey with his life so Hickey and I think it's safe to say Ladhams has not won his trust yet. I imagine he will go back to Hickey playing full time number one and I suspect Amartey or Reid will be given a shot this week.

He hobbled around in the last. Almost need to give him a rest for the week even if Ladhams still out.
I'm counting down the weeks for Ladhams to come back in. Sadly I think we still have another 4 at least before he's back in.

Ruck Jesus has risen!

Won hitouts comprehensively, gathered plenty of the ball, lead clearances & contested possessions.

His best game of the season imo. Happy the coaches persisted with him.
Yep, I was one that wanted him out once Ladhams was fit. Glad they don't listen to me, we seem better structured when Hickey is in form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back