Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez I don’t know which of our recruits is my fav.
This guys legs/core are pretty impressive… could carry him a long way.
Good luck Matthew

They are some thick legs, same with Logan when he was drafted.

I think we were lucky to get Mathew in the second round. He was rated highly before the draft. Some rated him in the teens. Preseason comments from players and staff have confirmed he has some talent and is progressing very well. Both he and Sheldrick seem to be talked about preseason.
We hear various people talked about as Lloyd replacements. This fella strikes me as a pretty reasonable possibility. Tough, decent boot, tackles well. Might not be the best spot for him. Apparently he played well as a HFF in seniors. Time will tell.

I think we were lucky to get Mathew in the second round. He was rated highly before the draft. Some rated him in the teens. Preseason comments from players and staff have confirmed he has some talent and is progressing very well. Both he and Sheldrick seem to be talked about preseason.
Absolutely! He was rated top 20 by almost everyone right up until nearly draft time. Had even been considered top 10 or better at certain stages. And had been at that pointy end since U16s when he was AA. I think the knock on him was only that he didn't develop as much in his draft year as some others (e.g. Sheldrick) and recruiters place a premium on substantial development in your draft year. He's definitely further advanced than most draftees and is more likely to turn out good but just doesn't have as high a ceiling as some. I would have been ok if we had taken him with our first pick and I was rapt we took him with our second rounder!

Matt is a great talent, wonderful lad and would be immersing himself happily in Swans culture.

At the time he was rated top 5-10 he was slaughtering the SANFL U18 comp. Ended up with league selection and did very well on debut.

At that time Went back to school footy where he was clearly targeted and ended up picking up a nasty ankle injury following a totally unnecessary pile on around the ball (I was at the game). This ruined his draft year, and I’m sure lots of lesser talented sh…ts from the other school were very pleased with themselves.

What also happened was his SANFL club were pushing for finals and got him straight back in, only to play him at graveyard half forward.

He never had the impact that he did in first part of the year thanks to that damned ankle. He should have been brought back via U18’s in my view. Strangely the school permitted him to play South league in front of school too, never happened before.

So then the talk turns to lack of pace and lack of impact - very fickle lot the draft watchers.

Anyway we were thrilled to see him drafted, just a terrific kid who will play his role and make whatever sacrifices needed to help his team. Lots here will be watching him closely.

Matt is a great talent, wonderful lad and would be immersing himself happily in Swans culture.

At the time he was rated top 5-10 he was slaughtering the SANFL U18 comp. Ended up with league selection and did very well on debut.

At that time Went back to school footy where he was clearly targeted and ended up picking up a nasty ankle injury following a totally unnecessary pile on around the ball (I was at the game). This ruined his draft year, and I’m sure lots of lesser talented sh…ts from the other school were very pleased with themselves.

What also happened was his SANFL club were pushing for finals and got him straight back in, only to play him at graveyard half forward.

He never had the impact that he did in first part of the year thanks to that damned ankle. He should have been brought back via U18’s in my view. Strangely the school permitted him to play South league in front of school too, never happened before.

So then the talk turns to lack of pace and lack of impact - very fickle lot the draft watchers.

Anyway we were thrilled to see him drafted, just a terrific kid who will play his role and make whatever sacrifices needed to help his team. Lots here will be watching him closely.

Physically he looks very developed too. Hope he's over his ankle injury and he gets an opportunity to string games whether at vfl or senior level.

He got a run in the "proper" preseason game vs North as well as the scratch match and looked right at home.
I think he'll get good development in the VFL and the chance to be a leader too.
Fitting in very well by all accounts.

Yea I will second that, Matty is a pure footballer, went to my old school, his Under 16 work in 2020 was second to none as well. He's very smart, huge work rate and generally pretty skilled. Has a genuine knack for leather poisoning when played on ball, very good clearance midfielder who can spread all day and night. I'd say once he gets his ankle right or is in proper knick, he will destroy VFL level pretty quickly.

Just thought I’d check in on Matt. One of the Adelaide knowledgeable blokes mentioned he’s going pretty well in the 2’s? Anyone seen him playing and have an idea how far away he might be to a debut?

Many thanks in advance

Just thought I’d check in on Matt. One of the Adelaide knowledgeable blokes mentioned he’s going pretty well in the 2’s? Anyone seen him playing and have an idea how far away he might be to a debut?

Many thanks in advance

Been pretty solid and I’d say tracking nicely.
Didn’t emerge from the rooms after a bad head knock early in the 2nd of yesterdays loss to Preston. I’m sure you’re with me in hoping he recovers well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back