Player Watch #34 Matthew Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute gem, hard to believe that was his 10th game.

Aspects I love watching Roberts:
-He takes the game on. Isn't afraid to kick through the middle or break a tackle
-He can weave through traffic very nicely

He really does seem like a natural fit in defence. He'll struggle to move to the midfield, only because he looks so good down back

I was partially wrong about Roberts.

I saw him as a mid winning his ball but struggling to hit targets, maybe under more pressure.

He is totally left footed.
As a ball winner, brave with his head over the ball or in the air.
Strong and can tackle.
As a HBF shows maturity and precision. I didn't think he had that.
A tough defender. Huge tick for me.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute gem, hard to believe that was his 10th game.

Aspects I love watching Roberts:
-He takes the game on. Isn't afraid to kick through the middle or break a tackle
-He can weave through traffic very nicely

He really does seem like a natural fit in defence. He'll struggle to move to the midfield, only because he looks so good down back
Yes and no on that. A couple more injuries and we might need him in the midfield.
Certainly don't see him getting dropped on current form. With Lloyd dropping back he might even hold Harry out when he recovers.

I'm very happy to say that I think I'm wrong about Roberts. Everyone was singing his praises saying he's a solid player, and I was dismissive thinking he was nothing special.

Played really well the last few weeks.

Nothing spectacular, but seems to be a decent cog. A very decent 20-22 player.

Nick Blakey talking about Roberts after the Essendon game;

“Robbo trained the whole pre-season as a midfielder,” Blakey said. “(Jake) Lloydy missed a couple of weeks in pre-season and Robbo went down back for the last two weeks and has not missed a beat.....
When you take the game on, it can be a million miles an hour. Whereas Robbo is nice and composed … he’s a bloody good player and he adds a nice, different dimension to our back six when me and Ollie (Florent) are attacking."

Horse also quoted;
“He’s just composed and reads it really early,” Longmire added on Roberts. “When he’s able to read the ball early defensively, and that’s defensively or offensively, he can make good decisions.”

Article also mentions Roberts finished with a game-high eight intercept possessions.

Just as an aside the article was written by Lachlan McKirdy and has been said before it's good to have a dedicated Newscorp journo covering the AFL in NSW, but even better someone who actually provides insightful coverage.

The rejuvenation of the backline starts with Roberts!

Imagine how many headlines he'd be generating if he was playing for a big Melbourne club.

He's still got a lot to learn but he's bold and courageous and exemplifies the exciting game style that we're eager to play.

Well done Kinnear, you and list management have found another diamond in the rough which is all the more impressive with a Covid affected draft.

Love his courage & ability to attack a contest even after making a mistake. He gives us another contested ball winning player, it's important to have them all over the ground.
That second point is super important. No head down, just move on to the next play. Love it.
Late last year we were worried we needed a medium defender and it seems we had one in our midst all along.

The rejuvenation of the backline starts with Roberts!

Imagine how many headlines he'd be generating if he was playing for a big Melbourne club.

He's still got a lot to learn but he's bold and courageous and exemplifies the exciting game style that we're eager to play.

Well done Kinnear, you and list management have found another diamond in the rough which is all the more impressive with a Covid affected draft.

I like the overall tenor of your post so I regret to cavil with the details.

First, haven't we been rejuvenating the backline since the departure of Smooch, Reg and Teddy? Aren't Florent, Blakey and McCartin (all 25 and under) all part of that rejuvenation? But absolutely part of that ongoing regeneration.

Second, he wasn't a diamond in the rough. Although he was taken at pick 34 he wasn't like Vickery, C.Mitchell, Mcinerney - a surprising name at that pick. Rather he was a consensus top 20 rated pick pre-draft and may even have approached being a top 5 rated draft pick early in his draft season. He was more like a Lukey Parker selection - he was too good to pass up.

Lastly, not so much in response to your post, I'm slightly unsure about Robbo as a backman longterm. I worry that he isn't quick enough mostly, and he also isn't tall. He's fierce at the contest but isn't yet a noted overhead mark. The evidence that gives the lie to my fear though is: Callum Mills. Mills isn't that fast or tall but he is a wonderful backman and perhaps Robbo with his composure and hardness can be a backman of that ilk. Plus his cannon boot is an added bonus.

I love that we're still bringing in new players even as we're a young team and primed for a tilt at the flag. That's what does and will keep us contending every year.

You can just tell with how Roberts is handling his short-lived transition into defence that Longmire would adore him. He looks so settled already; happy to fly for marks, to help out in the air to spoil, he doesn't look overawed defending and his kicking fits in nicely with how we play the game - he takes on tricky kicks and moves the ball quickly.

He's got 200 game player written all over him.

I've heard it said that players never really settle until 50 games of experience. Generally with a new player I expect a little skittishness or indecision. When they get the ball I at any rate have that moment when I think "don't butcher it".
Roberts, all of 10 games in, is very assured and I feel comfortable when he has it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back