Player Watch #36: Tyler Sellers

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right, I've got no idea why we gave him a list spot guy can't take a pack busting mark…View attachment 1938841View attachment 1938842

You've shown 2 such marks...in 2 different matches. Pardon my math but that's 1 per match. I don't think that get us anywhere in the afl. He does have potentials don't get me wrong but he is not ready as of right now because every opponent he faces will have their defense at their best. Him coming in play a few very bad matches might snuff out his career where if he comes into the side playing some really good games in the 2nd half might give him enough confidence to start and afl career followed by another strong afl preseason to be truly ready for 2025.

You've shown 2 such marks...in 2 different matches. Pardon my math but that's 1 per match. I don't think that get us anywhere in the afl. He does have potentials don't get me wrong but he is not ready as of right now because every opponent he faces will have their defense at their best. Him coming in play a few very bad matches might snuff out his career where if he comes into the side playing some really good games in the 2nd half might give him enough confidence to start and afl career followed by another strong afl preseason to be truly ready for 2025.
So on the maths, Sellers has played 17 VFL games, averages 4.2 marks (safe to say these would be overwhelmingly F50) and 2.1 goals.

I think you've for a fair point about waiting a bit longer - I've said elsewhere they might go to Greenwood for relief rucking and tackling pressure - but Sellers would have to be one of the most physically developed 21 year olds in the competition, so it would only be his endurance that was a question mark as to whether he's ready.

We can't sustain 120 mins of fast footy and there will be some patient build up. That's where Sellers comes in.

His strong hands should be what stops the spillage turnovers that have been happening forever. If we are going to be daring, mitigate the risk as much as possible.

So on the maths, Sellers has played 17 VFL games, averages 4.2 marks (safe to say these would be overwhelmingly F50) and 2.1 goals.

I think you've for a fair point about waiting a bit longer - I've said elsewhere they might go to Greenwood for relief rucking and tackling pressure - but Sellers would have to be one of the most physically developed 21 year olds in the competition, so it would only be his endurance that was a question mark as to whether he's ready.

Yes, i agree with your points. I am of the opinion that his endurance is not yet ready for afl until the midseason bye.

In the 2nd half, as injuries pile up, some club will be waiting for the end so morale will be low. He should get eased into the season against opp in least than tip top shape to kick a few to get some experience and confidence.

A strong preseason in which he should bulk up a bit to around 96, 97 kg will make him much stronger and mature for 2025.

Well, there is another, his name is Alistair Clarkson so if a 4 times permiership coach thinks CCJ is good to persist with, then it trumps all of reasons to get rid off him.
its called giving him enough rope, would be more about respect to previous recruiters, from where iam standing he has been hanging from the gallows for long enough.

CCJ is who I'd drop, but there's no shortage of underperforming forwards in the side. There's room for all of Larkey, CCJ, and Sellers should Clarkson want to go in that direction.

its called giving him enough rope, would be more about respect to previous recruiters, from where iam standing he has been hanging from the gallows for long enough.

Sometimes when you give enough rope, one might grab onto it and starts to climb up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I showed 2 marks in 2 different matches, unfortunately I don’t have access to the VFL image database, I’m sure there are more, there were even some from the weekend but you’ve conveniently ignored that fact.

There is no guarantee that we will be playing better football in the second half of the year, I certainly hope we are but nothing is for certain, and yet you’ve mentioned this several times like it’s a fait accompli.

You’re convinced that other teams will be less motivated and / or injured in the second half of the season and we will be able to take advantage of that and debut Tyler Sellers then when the planets are perfectly aligned and yet for whatever reason this second half of the season affliction magically won’t affect us. Do I need to remind you that we won the first two games last year and then lost the next 20 games.

I admire your idealism Chairman Zia, I hope Tyler Sellers makes a perfect debut at the perfect time and has a perfect career with North Melbourne.

Sometimes when you give enough rope, one might grab onto it and starts to climb up.
and thats fine and i would be happy if he did. but 6 years in the system. i reckon theres less ex telecom rope squirreled away in peoples garages than this blokes been given.

Last edited:
Yes I showed 2 marks in 2 different matches, unfortunately I don’t have access to the VFL image database, I’m sure there are more, there were even some from the weekend but you’ve conveniently ignored that fact.

There is no guarantee that we will be playing better football in the second half of the year, I certainly hope we are but nothing is for certain, and yet you’ve mentioned this several times like it’s a fait accompli.

You’re convinced that other teams will be less motivated and / or injured in the second half of the season and we will be able to take advantage of that and debut Tyler Sellers then when the planets are perfectly aligned and yet for whatever reason this second half of the season affliction magically won’t affect us. Do I need to remind you that we won the first two games last year and then lost the next 20 games.

I admire your idealism Chairman Zia, I hope Tyler Sellers makes a perfect debut at the perfect time and has a perfect career with North Melbourne.

Errrr the coach went missing for 20 weeks.

Well, there is another, his name is Alistair Clarkson so if a 4 times permiership coach thinks CCJ is good to persist with, then it trumps all of reasons to get rid off him.

Don't hold your breath on that one...

I think Clarko has given him an opportunity. He hasn't taken it. Borrowed time...

Another developing player who could help the Roos turn things around is Tyler Sellers.

The 21-year-old made his way onto the senior list as a SSP addition in February and did his AFL debut chances no harm with a bag of six goals in North’s Round 1 VFL win over the Northern Bullants on the weekend.

“He’s only come onto our list in the last month,” Clarkson said of the forward.

“He’s a kid that had been playing at Old Scotch in the Ammos and came into our VFL team last year and led our goal kicking.

“He’s just a typical lad that at 18 years of age wasn’t ready for AFL footy or to be listed on an AFL list. He’s just been patient, bided his time and he gets his chance now.

“He kicked six in an internal trial last week and another six on the weekend. I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t play some senior footy, if not soon, then certainly this year.”

Amen !

Another developing player who could help the Roos turn things around is Tyler Sellers.

The 21-year-old made his way onto the senior list as a SSP addition in February and did his AFL debut chances no harm with a bag of six goals in North’s Round 1 VFL win over the Northern Bullants on the weekend.

“He’s only come onto our list in the last month,” Clarkson said of the forward.

“He’s a kid that had been playing at Old Scotch in the Ammos and came into our VFL team last year and led our goal kicking.

“He’s just a typical lad that at 18 years of age wasn’t ready for AFL footy or to be listed on an AFL list. He’s just been patient, bided his time and he gets his chance now.

“He kicked six in an internal trial last week and another six on the weekend. I’d be really surprised if he doesn’t play some senior footy, if not soon, then certainly this year.”

Amen !
similar to the benny brown trajectory

John Cena GIF by Kids' Choice Awards

I thought it was a certainty Comben would come in last week.

I now reckon it's a certainty that Sellers will come in against the Cats.

One of our glaring weaknesses is we don't ask enough questions of opposition defences and playing Larkey one out is living proof of that.

Madness in a can. It's gotta stop.

I wonder how many clubs with forward line issues wouldn't be giving him a game?

None I reckon.

If he fails, it will because he's not good enough - not because he doesn't have an AFL body.

I can handle players not being good enough. I've had plenty of practice in the last 4 years.

What I can't handle is opposition defences smashing us week after week.

It's time.

I thought it was a certainty Comben would come in last week.

I now reckon it's a certainty that Sellers will come in against the Cats.

One of our glaring weaknesses is we don't ask enough questions of opposition defences and playing Larkey one out is living proof of that.

Madness in a can. It's gotta stop.

I wonder how many clubs with forward line issues wouldn't be giving him a game?

None I reckon.

If he fails, it will because he's not good enough - not because he doesn't have an AFL body.

I can handle players not being good enough. I've had plenty of practice in the last 4 years.

What I can't handle is opposition defences smashing us week after week.

It's time.
I think you’re right, I get the feeling we will churn through a lot of players this year but rather than it being sweeping changes every week after a demoralising loss Clarko will quietly work through the list, give players a chance 3 - 4 games and if it’s not working then make a change.

I think you’re right, I get the feeling we will churn through a lot of players this year but rather than it being sweeping changes every week after a demoralising loss Clarko will quietly work through the list, give players a chance 3 - 4 games and if it’s not working then make a change.
Prolly a fair method but given we keep getting flogged might be a while if waiting for a game without a demoralising loss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back