Player Watch #37: Connor Menadue

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesnt deserve game and there would be about 5 players picked ahead of him if not injured, but he has a game and needs to show something and i hope he does as we have seen last year one good game can lead to a great future, he needs to put his head over the ball, body on the line and run like hell otherwise Naish will go past him.
Absolutely needs a good game, and only getting that game due to injuries agreed. Taking a bit longer than we'd all hoped, but it has clicked pretty well at VFL, so as you say, can sometimes only take a good game to click at the next level. I'd rather see Menadue getting games than a few others on our list that have been tried.

Absolutely needs a good game, and only getting that game due to injuries agreed. Taking a bit longer than we'd all hoped, but it has clicked pretty well at VFL, so as you say, can sometimes only take a good game to click at the next level. I'd rather see Menadue getting games than a few others on our list that have been tried.
I agree GRRR he has a few more tools to work with and could still be a year away.

Not really fair. Whilst underwhelming at senior level, he has played very good consistent footy at VFL and given our long injury list, deserves a game. Developing players need more than one week in before getting dropped, as it takes any confidence they have away. Out last week due to injury, deserves another game. At least he has something to work with, pace and class. Hopefully he plays better this week as most our injured players are still some weeks away.
Pies have injuries

That is what you're saying not me. The possession heat map simply shows where a player had a possession, the colors show the area on the ground where they got most of them, it's why midfielders are usually red through the midfield and not around the ground where they actually spend a lot more time, unless you're going to suggest a player like Lambert does 16km just in the wing and hff like his heat map shows.

View attachment 537076

....but defenders and forwards have red spots and lines.It's bs again as one possession can register a red colour. It's all got to do with players vicinity near the ball .
Also a long red streak with a dot in the centre under your theory implies the player either moved Backwards then Forward then to middle of the two before disposing it OR F to B to middle spot? lol

Reading other posters they agree with me that he's lucky to be playing and his last game was pretty wel shithouse and he needs to lift a gear as other players are swarming.

Alright based of similar heat maps in soccer my understanding is that it’s about time in possession and area of ground where the possession occurs.

If lambert runs 20m with ball and kicks it the blue spot is the point of the kick but the heat map shows a progressively darker colour along the area he ran with the ball due to his time in possession. Conversely if it’s a quick handball out of a pack it’s a much lighter colour, but if you do it 3-4 times in a similar area the colour becomes darker.

Alright based of similar heat maps in soccer my understanding is that it’s about time in possession and area of ground where the possession occurs.

If lambert runs 20m with ball and kicks it the blue spot is the point of the kick but the heat map shows a progressively darker colour along the area he ran with the ball due to his time in possession. Conversely if it’s a quick handball out of a pack it’s a much lighter colour, but if you do it 3-4 times in a similar area the colour becomes darker.
You’re spot on calcium , we were doing heat maps in the mid 80s as part of our soccer licence

If lambert runs 20m with ball and kicks it the blue spot is the point of the kick but the map shows a progressively darker colour along the area he ran with the ball due to his time in possession. Conversely if it’s a quick handball out of a pack it’s a much lighter colour, but if you do it 3-4 times in a similar area the colour becomes darker.
Thanks for clearing that up CM , so the red implies time in possession. Still it’s strange bc you can still have a dark red one possession stat.Corey Ellis kick OOTF where he hardly had the ball for that long registered a red mark.
FBF05CBF-97FB-48BD-B461-B9FDBEB75544.png
I still think studying Menadue ‘s map it’s quite obvious what position he played and unless he’s St Anthony of Padua who was spotted in two locations by various people then he may have played another role. ;)

With the AFL maps the color is solely based on the amount of possessions in that area. For example Mitchell gets most his possessions in the middle which will be red, when he gets possessions in other areas they stay as just dots. I know with the soccer ones it does show when a player runs with the ball as they often dribble down the ground.

A good example of what I'm talking about is the heat map TI posted about Ellis, based on his logic Ellis moved 2m for the quarter, when that clearly wasn't the case.

Which is why using a heat map to prove how good/poor a game is/was is flawed.

Hope for a good game want to see that confidence and run and carry.Think he needs to believe in himself to.

Hopefully Connor lines up on the HBF a position he has shown his best form in and provides the rebound run and carry that got him selected. Unfortunately the incoming rain is probably not going to make it a run and carry type of game but more a get it moving forward however possible. Connor can still have an impact though by putting his head over the footy and ensuring that when it's his turn to go he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reaction here seems a bit harsh. Wasn't enough to ensure his place in the team for when the injured players return, but I don't think it was woeful or anything like that. Better than last week, he was all right.
Exactly. He took his eyes off one ball, had a kick smothered when he should have been quicker, and gave up a holding the ball in the first quarter when he had no options (team rule, slows play down, better than kicking the ball to the oppo). He also went in hard every chance, laid some good tackles, ran hard, made space, and had the equal 4th-most disposals and equal 6th-most contested possessions in the side.

Reaction here seems a bit harsh. Wasn't enough to ensure his place in the team for when the injured players return, but I don't think it was woeful or anything like that. Better than last week, he was all right.
Agree. We are recruiting a lot of guys who are hard at it but not many with skill and he has a bit so hopefully he can improve the deficiencies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back