Delisted #37: Sean Gregory

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently injured I think. Could not believe that he would have been dropped on form.

Few glimpses I saw of him last year he looked miles off but I've been genuinely impressed with his games this year.

He was not getting beaten in marking contests or on the lead where he is as quick as the draft profiles suggested. He's good at ground level with ball in hand even if he does get a little lost.

His kicking sometimes looks great and sometimes awkward (in a similar fashion to 2014 Cale Hooker).

In a physical sense he is absolutely capable of playing on smaller, fast players but he would need to work on his feel for the game before he would be a realistic option at AFL level (where I expect he be lost in traffic quite easily).

Certainly needs to bulk up which may take a while if the suggest that he is battling OP is correct.

I'm suppose I'm biased because I've always liked the potential of the guy. Last year it was hope that he was a long term Fletcher replacement (as someone who could play on the explosive leading players with the versatility to "play small") but with Fletch looking likely to play in 2015 and the obvious progression in Gregory's game I think the project is well and truly on track.

Last edited:

Whats the go with Sean this year? Has barely been named in the VFL side yet he is never on the injured list either??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

out of contract though, same as Hams. Will we keep both?
Some have speculated he could be demoted to the rookie list. I suppose I'd be okay with that, but I'd be annoyed if we got rid of him altogether. I think he's worth persisting with.

Reading this thread it sounds like he has a much higher ceiling then Steinberg (not discounting Steinberg has developed into a very good VFL player). Would VFL watchers agree and based on this, would you prefer he maintain a primary list spot or go onto the rookie list?

Reading this thread it sounds like he has a much higher ceiling then Steinberg (not discounting Steinberg has developed into a very good VFL player). Would VFL watchers agree and based on this, would you prefer he maintain a primary list spot or go onto the rookie list?
Steinberg has had a better year IMO and he has had to play on the oppositions best forward every week.

Steinberg has had a better year IMO and he has had to play on the oppositions best forward every week.

I'm aware of that but I'm talking potential ceiling though given the age difference and physical maturity.

From the outside (Adelaide) looking in, it seems Steinberg's papers are stamped given he can't crack a senior gig after 4 years in the system. I read good things about Gregory but he's not physically there, hence my question.

He's got the talent, no doubt. But Steinberg is better right now. If you asked me, get Gregory on the rookie list and Steinberg on the senior list as it's better for both short and long term options

He's got the talent, no doubt. But Steinberg is better right now. If you asked me, get Gregory on the rookie list and Steinberg on the senior list as it's better for both short and long term options
Steinberg could def be a good replacement for Van Unen on the senior list in 2015

No doubt that if we can develop Gregory as a footballer in addition to his strength and weight he has the traits to play at the highest level. Steinberg would be pretty close to the finished product but he won't get any taller or run any faster and as a result he is severely limited in the range of opponents he is a good match up for (which has been all but confirmed by our failure to select him in the last month).

As for whether Gregory should be kept on the primary list I'd wait until the end of the season.

The way things were shaping two months ago there is no way I would have demoted Gregory because he was already looking like someone we could give games to next year in place of Fletcher with an aim to settling him in the side by 2016 (with another two preseasons under his belt).

He was bloody rusty against Williamstown last week though. Want to see how he finishes the season before guessing whether he would be a viable option as soon as next year.

Never seen a player so lost before. (Watched him fairly closely yesterday)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back