VFL Past #77: Heath Hocking - Coach of JHA

Remove this Banner Ad

Any update on his injury recovery? All I can find is that he was due to back in training by mid-February... Yet he's still listed on our injury list.

Feel like he could be very important to have back in over the coming weeks vs Carlton, Collingwood.

Not even sure there is a spot for him in the best 22...

Not even sure there is a spot for him in the best 22...
Finally..... someone else is seeing it

His injury has been a good thing in a way. He would never have got dropped, so its good to see we look a little more mobile around the contest and ground. Hes sure going to have to earn his spot back in the team and i dont think it can be just for his'blocking' i still think thats a throw away crap.

The Myers injury probably means he gets a game as we lose a big body onballer there.

Finally..... someone else is seeing it

His injury has been a good thing in a way. He would never have got dropped, so its good to see we look a little more mobile around the contest and ground. Hes sure going to have to earn his spot back in the team and i dont think it can be just for his'blocking' i still think thats a throw away crap.

The Myers injury probably means he gets a game as we lose a big body onballer there.
Blocking is throw away crap? Have you seen how much worse we are at a stoppage now?

There's also the point that minus Crowley right now he'd be very close to being the best tagger in the AFL, only Cornes would be ahead IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blocking is throw away crap? Have you seen how much worse we are at a stoppage now?

There's also the point that minus Crowley right now he'd be very close to being the best tagger in the AFL, only Cornes would be ahead IMO.
That would be because not many teams pick a specified tagger anymore especially not top sides which we aspire to be.

Hawks dont, Fremantle dont, Port - Kornes barely tags anymore, Geelong dont, Adelaide arent, North dont.

Cornes barely tags hard anymore.

He gets a game with the Myers injury but if that didnt happen and the guys kept the form up then id think it would be hard for him to get back in.

Edit: When Hocking plays i hope we release him a little more from a hard tagging/negating role. Similar to what Melksham has been doing.

That would be because not many teams pick a specified tagger anymore especially not top sides which we aspire to be.

Hawks dont, Fremantle dont, Port - Kornes barely tags anymore, Geelong dont, Adelaide arent, North dont.

Cornes barely tags hard anymore.

He gets a game with the Myers injury but if that didnt happen and the guys kept the form up then id think it would be hard for him to get back in.

Edit: When Hocking plays i hope we release him a little more from a hard tagging/negating role. Similar to what Melksham has been doing.
Ah, yeah they do. Langford tags more often than not, Fremantle would if Crowley was able to play, Cornes tags most of the time, Guthrie tags a lot, Adelaide would if Kerridge is fit. So in reality, one of those teams doesn't tag.

So basically you're wrong and making excuses for why you don't want a top 3 tagger in the AFL playing.

Ah, yeah they do. Langford tags more often than not, Fremantle would if Crowley was able to play, Cornes tags most of the time, Guthrie tags a lot, Adelaide would if Kerridge is fit. So in reality, one of those teams doesn't tag.

So basically you're wrong and making excuses for why you don't want a top 3 tagger in the AFL playing.
Adelaide have both NVB and Laird playing more then capable - its not apart of Walsh's game plan

Guthries yet to get this year, they may go to a player to quieten them but thats it, its not a go to from first minute type tag. Kornes aint tagging. Hes there to get the ball.

Who has Langford tagged so far this year? no one

He needs to do more the other way if he wants a game, we clearly differ in opinion so ill leave it there.

Don't think anyone else thinks that except you :D

I feel that with Hocking and Myers out we can be more mobile around the ground. You have to remember that we also have Watson, Howlett and Goddard in the team who aren't the best two way runners.

(Hocking does run two ways really well, actually a lot better than someone like Zaka) but I feel that burst running is becoming more and more important.

You need players that break the lines.

When Hocking comes back he will be back in the senior side but I hope we consider team balance when he comes back in.

It does seem that more teams are diluting a hard midfield tag to a run with role.

Seems to me that the question is really whether Hocking can win his own ball if freed. It was never a problem before he started tagging so I doubt it is now. Hocking, Myers and Watson (in no order) are still probably the three EFC players you want most at a stoppage for the combination of ball winning and blocking that frees us a runner and allows us to attack.

Posted a while ago that don't expect to see Hocking until May or June. he effectively had two groin ops - One in November and one in February - Has to be a long way behind in fitness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back