Senior 4. Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Watts Jack Worth?

I am so over all the criticism he gets. He is only 21 fa f**K sake. What some people need to look at is, when did they peak and become good if not great footballers, lm pretty sure it wasnt 21. In my opinion he will be a great footballer for us, so as l said earlier let him be. Cheers

Exactly, most 21 year olds are not playing professional sport having 100,000's people watching your every move. We expect far to much far to soon.

Exactly, most 21 year olds are not playing professional sport having 100,000's people watching your every move. We expect far to much far to soon.

You'd think the Tom Hawkins example would have quashed all this crap, but it hasn't. I don't think Hawkins was any better than Watts at the same stage - but look at how far he's come in the past year. Anything can happen with Watts.

Re: Watts Happening Down Back?

And look how well Carlton have done out of that!

Taken a player who finished top fifteen in the Brownlow in his third year from the midfield and have him performing no where near the heights he's capable of!

And look how well Carlton have done out of that!

Taken a player who finished top fifteen in the Brownlow in his third year from the midfield and have him performing no where near the heights he's capable of!

I think you have things arse about. They should have left him on the half back flank where he was playing when he top 15'd in the Brownlow. He has been bog ordinary in the midfield. Far better as a sweeper with the ball in front of him.

No.

You can't turn a no.1 draft pick into a back flanker.

A quarterback role, sure.

But not a running back flanker.

Carlton did :eek:

I think you have things arse about. They should have left him on the half back flank where he was playing when he top 15'd in the Brownlow. He has been bog ordinary in the midfield. Far better as a sweeper with the ball in front of him.

Hmmm, maybe you're right.

I was sure he spent that year in the midfield though.

This would have been 09'.

Hindsight is 20/20. I think literally 99% of bigfooty posters would have taken Watts at 1 on draft day, and every other club bar one or two also.

He'll get there. It's hard having the hopes and dreams of a football clubs revival stacked on your shoulders.

Media confirmed for *ed.

Discussion on players who aren't 100% hard at it but absolutely worth it.

Call up, say Jack Watts is that guy due to his sensational disposal and everything else he brings.

'hurr no he's not we want to beat up on him some more'

Media confirmed for *ed.

The proof of that is all around us mate.

As I've pointed out within the game day thread as well, of course...

Hope he'll play well today. Remember last season after he was subbed it was a bit of a wake up call, came out the next week and was bog.

I can understand why the media is so tough on him, he appears so laconic and he was a number 1 draft pick. We have high expectations on number 1's which is why we were all so upset when Judas left. I'd still trade a top 10 pick for him were I at another club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not suggesting he would go number 1 - but if Wallace truly believes Watts would last till pick 21 if the draft was done again then he is an idiot.

Are you talking about the same Wallace that took Tambling instead of Franklin?

If you had a Darling/Roughead/Pods/Hawkins up forward, it'd make the world of difference to him.

I like him, hope he can make it, but he's going to need more mature bodies around him.

Jack Watts has the skills, he has a body that hopefully will fill out with more muscle but he doesn't seem to be naturally aggressive at this stage. Let's give him a break, not everyone is going be a Carl Ditterich in their first few years of senior footy (apologies to the younger guys if you haven't heard of Carl - it's worth Googling).

Anyway, why not sit Jack Watts next to Mitch Clark - a bit like an on field mentor. JW can learn about strong aggressive footy first hand. So don't give up on him, we all know when he gets the ball he does some really good things, all MFC needs to do is get his confidence up -ie. "its my ball"

What's Jack worth? To us right now?

The gold depository at Fort Knox, perhaps....

34 possessions, including 12 contested, and 11 marks. Along with his customary high disposal efficiency. Very easily our best.

Apart from being the only player to not register a tackle. Even Bennel and thw two slalom experts moloney and sylvia managed one a piece.

Apart from being the only player to not register a tackle.

That's factually incorrect as far as I'm aware.

Check the AFL gameday page, go to our match and click on the link to the full-time stats, you'll see what I mean.

That's factually incorrect as far as I'm aware.

Check the AFL gameday page, go to our match and click on the link to the full-time stats, you'll see what I mean.

He had one. Wow.

Apart from being the only player to not register a tackle. Even Bennel and thw two slalom experts moloney and sylvia managed one a piece.

I watched him tackle tonight, might of only been one or two but he was solid down back tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back