Delisted 41. Cameron Taheny (2020- 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he was rated the highest pre-draft? He was the only 'steal' we got all draft according to pre-draft analyses. Still, though, you have to wonder what makes a guy slip that far down the pecking order on draft night.

His consistency and the knee injury he carried all year are the reasons. But he is top 10 in this draft for his ability to turn a game and win it for you. Well worth the punt.

Watched 2 of his vids now... has good hands overhead.. Is good to see so many upbeat about him... Chris25 had him at about 15.... Im not sure his game translates but P50 we have not broken the bank.

Hes about the best hands for a player that size ive seen since Menzel. And impacted at senior level too.

I am definitely most excited about this pick.
I think De Koning (the King) will definitely make it with a bit more size on his body.
This guy has every chance to make it as a medium forward.
Menzel was 188/189, this guy probably has a lower reach at 185, but this guy hasn't got bung knees so I'm guessing his first 20m is quicker and so is his leap.
Have we got a Bruce Lindner on our hands or an Ablett Senior? :D

Because he was rated the highest pre-draft? He was the only 'steal' we got all draft according to pre-draft analyses. Still, though, you have to wonder what makes a guy slip that far down the pecking order on draft night.
Sometimes the teams just don't want that type of player - already got one. So they slip through the crack.

Players drafted at any range have shown to still be good, no different to how some top ten players end up not even cutting it at VFL.

The end of the day nobody is a slider or a bolter or anything like that. They all get picked where they were truly rated all along by the people with the knowledge.

The whole slider bolter stuff is just media selling stuff

Cameron Taheny
Height185cm
Weight80kg
Current Team: Norwood, South Australia
BirthdayAugust 3, 2001

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Cameron Taheny is a crafty medium forward, with superb marking skills and many traits to impact straight into the AFL level.”

THE 2019 season saw Eyre Peninsula-born Cameron Taheny impact at every level he played in. Taheny competed in First XVII with Rostrevor College, a SANFL Reserves premiership and League debut with Norwood, and also the Under-18 National Championships with South Australia. He made his SANFL league debut in Round 2 against Port Adelaide, and stunned with a fantastic performance kicking three goals. Taheny continued to kick goals with regularity – booting 15 goals in four games – and exhibited his brilliant goal sense and ability to take strong contested marks at senior level, he finished with 25 goals for the season across both grades. Taheny can make an impact immediately in his first season at the senior AFL level and is able to play a role as a pressure forward early in his career with the aim to move into a midfield-forward split role in the future.
STRENGTHS:
Marking
Elite speed
Scoreboard impact
Decision making
Leadership skills
X-factor
IMPROVEMENTS:
Consistency
Versatility
Similarly to SANFL and state teammate Dylan Stephens, Taheny has been able to showcase his ability to impact at the senior level. The talented forward with huge upside was able to hit the scoreboard with incredible efficiency kicking 15 goals in his first four senior games for Norwood, A highlight of his game so far is his direct nature to attack the goals in the forward 50, outlining his instinctive decision making in front of the big sticks. The main attribute that Taheny has been recognised with so far in his career is his great marking ability, particularly his strong overhead marking. At the National Draft Combine, Taheny impressed with his elite speed by breaking the three-second barrier in the 20m sprint. Taheny has also been discussed as a potential leader with brilliant leadership qualities both on and off the field. He was elected as Head Border at Rostrevor College for his final school year and has become the voice of for dozens of boarder classmates from remote and regional South Australia. With terrific speed, strong overhead marking, an innate goal sense and great decision making, Taheny has all the makings of a quality forward once he can piece it all together at senior level.
After bursting onto the scene at SANFL level, Taheny was dropped from the senior Norwood side leading into the SANFL Finals. Taheny struggled for consistency after sustaining a groin injury against Western Australia at the Under-18 National Championship and will be hoping to rectify any consistency issues in his first AFL season. So far in his career Taheny has been mainly deployed as a medium-forward and has not had the opportunity to regularly play through the midfield, which he has every capability to do so in the future. So the two key areas for Taheny to improve is his consistency and versatility. The top 30 prospect could easily be a permanent forward at AFL level, and perhaps play a role similar to Jamie Elliott with his ability to do so much damage deep or higher up inside 50. He might still have to build those areas of consistency, but when it comes to his upside, there are few players in the AFL Draft crop that could have a higher scope than Taheny who showed in his eight-goal haul from 24 disposals last year in SANFL Under 18s, that in the right circumstances, can tear a game to shreds. He is a player that fans will enjoy watching in the years to come.
DRAFT RANGE: 20-30

https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/cameron-taheny/

So now we have three Rostrevor boys on the list. Mackie won’t be happy, they are Sacred Heart’s main rival!

Did Taheny not test at the Combine?

Anyone got his results if he did?!?

He did test and he ran a sub-3sec 20 sprint. I don’t think his results are available anywhere.

Edit: found this write up from Kevin Sheehan. For comparison, Nakia ran 2.9secs in the 20m sprint.

CAMERON TAHENY
Norwood/Rostrevor College
185cm 80kg 03/08/2001
Dynamic left-footed medium forward who had an injury interrupted 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships but managed to be closer to his best against the Allies where he gathered 21 disposals. Has already played some excellent senior football at Norwood kicking five goals against West Adelaide and four goals against Glenelg, averaging 2.5 goals in seven matches this year.
Competitive Advantage: Overhead marking and goal sense.
Combine Results: Speed - 2.99sec 20m sprint, Endurance - 6min 49sec 2km.

He did test and he ran a sub-3sec 20 sprint. I don’t think his results are available anywhere.

Edit: found this write up from Kevin Sheehan. For comparison, Nakia ran 2.9secs in the 20m sprint.

CAMERON TAHENY
Norwood/Rostrevor College
185cm 80kg 03/08/2001
Dynamic left-footed medium forward who had an injury interrupted 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships but managed to be closer to his best against the Allies where he gathered 21 disposals. Has already played some excellent senior football at Norwood kicking five goals against West Adelaide and four goals against Glenelg, averaging 2.5 goals in seven matches this year.
Competitive Advantage: Overhead marking and goal sense.
Combine Results: Speed - 2.99sec 20m sprint, Endurance - 6min 49sec 2km.

It's funny how testing working. D Stephens has a better 20m time but having watched them both a lot I would say Cam is more explosive. When he is fit he has a frightening change of gears. Really explosive! He is an immature kid who has question marks on his professionalism and application but having spoken to him a bit, I really think it is much more of a maturity thing than a lack of willingness to do what it takes. Serious upside I mean serious and exactly the sort of player I am ecstatic to take at 50.

If it doesn't work so what and if it does he could be very special. Get excited folks!

Like Tahney from what I've seen, got a little bit of that Menzel/Rozee kind of magic about him, kind of intrigued as to why he slipped to 50 is it that mid-sized forward stigma?

Tends to fade in and out of games. His u18 Champs were disappointing considering the hype around him but he’s apparently been managing knee tendinitis so that may explain his ordinary performance. Some have questioned his professionalism and whether he’s mentally equipped (ie dedicated enough) to play professional footy. Hopefully those concerns are allayed quickly and we have a fit, motivated player that wants to get the most out of himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough i think the latest of our 4 picks could be the best of them all.
Certainly appears tonnage quelled some of your Robbo blues lol...

Go Catters

It's funny how testing working. D Stephens has a better 20m time but having watched them both a lot I would say Cam is more explosive. When he is fit he has a frightening change of gears. Really explosive! He is an immature kid who has question marks on his professionalism and application but having spoken to him a bit, I really think it is much more of a maturity thing than a lack of willingness to do what it takes. Serious upside I mean serious and exactly the sort of player I am ecstatic to take at 50.

If it doesn't work so what and if it does he could be very special. Get excited folks!

Always appreciate your insights on the SA lads Foodles.

Tends to fade in and out of games. His u18 Champs were disappointing considering the hype around him but he’s apparently been managing knee tendinitis so that may explain his ordinary performance. Some have questioned his professionalism and whether he’s mentally equipped (ie dedicated enough) to play professional footy. Hopefully those concerns are allayed quickly and we have a fit, motivated player that wants to get the most out of himself.

He was good in the games I saw him play for SA. Didn’t kick a lot of goals though, so I guess that’s the knock. In one of the games I watched he would’ve had 20+ playing as a high half forward.

He was good in the games I saw him play for SA. Didn’t kick a lot of goals though, so I guess that’s the knock. In one of the games I watched he would’ve had 20+ playing as a high half forward.

He had one decent game from memory - I think that was the one you mentioned - the other couple were ordinary, bordering on poor.

Hes a goalkicker as his norwood games show. My knock is he drifts in and out of games but when he is on he can turn a game forward or mid in 5 mins. Given i didnt rate much of what was left at 50 and i dont rate the back end of next years draft im very happy with the trade.

Agree with a lot of what has been posted and there is no question he slipped because of doubts over whether he has the mental strength to succeed in an elite high-pressure environment. I was frustrated that he seemed to get down on himself and switch off when he wasn't having a good day but hard to know how much of that related to his injury which clearly severely hampered him. Either that or he was just too "soft" to play when he was a little sore and that may be another ? over him. It didn't really look that way to me though and without knowing the important injury info I found myself wondering whether he should even have been out there quite a few times this year, because of how much his knee appeared to compromise what he could do. It was frustrating cause he is really fun to watch when he is moving freely. However as I said before he has heaps of natural talent. He has a set of skills and athletic attributes that most players just don't have. Wow factor I think they call it.

For those of you old enough to remember he reminds me a lot of Brad Pearce from Carlton who tore it up in 95. There's one from left field hahaha

He had one decent game from memory - I think that was the one you mentioned - the other couple were ordinary, bordering on poor.

From game 1 against the Allies:

Looked dangerous in the opening stages, showing his typically strong hands overhead and darting a neat kick laterally in his first influential play of note. The dangerous forward spent a lot of time up the ground on a wing, but still proved worthy inside attacking 50 with a slow dribbled goal from a turnover in the first term. Tended to opt for a lot of space on the attacking side when matched up on Mitch O’Neill up the ground, and it allowed him to find over half of his 21 disposals uncontested. It clearly worked in his favour as Taheny used his skills and the time afforded to make a couple of darting hit-up passes toward the forward 50 arc in the third term. A good day for the dynamic SA prospect.

Against WA:

Another prospect that has the potential to go top 10-15 in this year’s AFL Draft, Taheny showed why he is so highly touted with another excellent performance, this time against Western Australia. Stationed in the forward line, Taheny finished with 10 possessions, two marks, two tackles and two goals to be South Australia’s most damaging option forward of centre. In the slippery conditions, his classy and penetrating kicking skills really stood out.

This is from the match preview to the SA v VC game:

with the dynamic Cameron Taheny good to go after a corked thigh kept him out of last week’s squad

So it sounds like he started well in the first two games, missed the VM game with a corky, then had a quiet game against VC in his first game back. Not disastrous at all, I wouldn't have thought.

From further reading, it sounds like he had the aforementioned corky, along with groin issues and a knee problem. Huge upside.

Agree with a lot of what has been posted and there is no question he slipped because of doubts over whether he has the mental strength to succeed in an elite high-pressure environment. I was frustrated that he seemed to get down on himself and switch off when he wasn't having a good day but hard to know how much of that related to his injury which clearly severely hampered him. Either that or he was just too "soft" to play when he was a little sore and that may be another ? over him. It didn't really look that way to me though and without knowing the important injury info I found myself wondering whether he should even have been out there quite a few times this year, because of how much his knee appeared to compromise what he could do. It was frustrating cause he is really fun to watch when he is moving freely. However as I said before he has heaps of natural talent. He has a set of skills and athletic attributes that most players just don't have. Wow factor I think they call it.

For those of you old enough to remember he reminds me a lot of Brad Pearce from Carlton who tore it up in 95. There's one from left field hahaha

Brad Pearce! One season wonder like Adrian McAdam and Darren Cuthbertson (I go back even further!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back