Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

No, he definitely is.

it might be where his best spot is

but given the current players around the senior team its unlikely he will get a go there if there is good injury luck

so he may have to get used to vfl or find another spot? It seems a shame because Chol already appears very good at times at VFL level

Last edited:
I guess when replacing Rance you are realistically looking for the next in line competent best 22 player, not a Rance clone because he is a one-of-a-kind but I think the closest replacement of what he offered would potentially be Chol.

Rance’s best attribute, to me, was the ability to while minding a man also bail out one or two teammates with great speed and athleticism and anticipation.

Purely from a physical point of view Chol would be my bet to recreate that, the anticipation maybe the impossible dream though
The other thing I like about Chol as a defender is that he has a lot of poise. A bit like Baker: the footy is never a ‘hot potato’ in his hands. Is very confident in his ability to avoid tackles and get the ball moving.

Very important for a defender

The other thing I like about Chol as a defender is that he has a lot of poise. A bit like Baker: the footy is never a ‘hot potato’ in his hands. Is very confident in his ability to avoid tackles and get the ball moving.

Very important for a defender

But he is lacking in other areas. Also lacks in some areas as a ruck and as a forward. Having said that, he has a lot to work with in all those 3 positions. I have no idea where his best position is. Like Balta, I am not sure the club knows. Both are great depth for all three positions though and hopefully find their best position next year.

Chol ain't a defender,, the only time he looked like he might
Actually make it a a defender was a couple of years ago
When he was played as a lose man in defense in the 2s
He looked good in that role, but that's the vfl
He struggles when playing one on one
But who knows maybe leppa can work his magic

Wasnt that what the Rance role was going to be? to sweep across Astbury/Grimes/Broad would be playing more lock down

could work

really we could play 21 and still win a lot of games

Balta surely gets a go in defence before anyone. Garthwaite would be next in line. Chol is insurance for ruck/forwards.

in his last game balta was playing full forward a lot

might not be indicative of where he was next season who knows

I like Chol, but for me he's a not quite player. Not quite a ruckman, KPF or KPD, but can play a small cameo and contribute to those roles.

At this stage I don't think that's enough to get games ahead of some other players ahead of him, until the time we inevitably cop a few injuries. I'd be surprised if he played more than 8 games in 2020. He's a second string insurance policy, not someone I expect to feature as a planned player.

I like Chol, but for me he's a not quite player. Not quite a ruckman, KPF or KPD, but can play a small cameo and contribute to those roles.

At this stage I don't think that's enough to get games ahead of some other players ahead of him, until the time we inevitably cop a few injuries. I'd be surprised if he played more than 8 games in 2020. He's a second string insurance policy, not someone I expect to feature as a planned player.
Tend to agree...hoping otherwise!

Yeah i think he is good insurance for sure as others will probably go past him. He probably might be trade currency in a couple of years if doesn't take the next step.

Should try him at hff and see how he goes

Apparently got a personal trainer in the offseason, Marbs got serious - interesting to see how he goes in 2020. I for one, was surprised and impressed with the poise he showed at AFL level - didnt do a hell of a lot but looked the part which is encouraging given he came in off some average vfl form. One to watch in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently got a personal trainer in the offseason, Marbs got serious - interesting to see how he goes in 2020. I for one, was surprised and impressed with the poise he showed at AFL level - didnt do a hell of a lot but looked the part which is encouraging given he came in off some average vfl form. One to watch in 2020.
Thats ******* awesome doing that in the off season as probably realized its time to step up or get stepped out.

Fantastic if true,
Shai did the same thing last season and it really paid dividends and gave him the chance to play midfield

Great to see these fringe players doing the hard work in the off season it’s what will elevate them to the next level

He attends that Bendigo boxing gym for extra fitness also

He has 2 seasons to make a go at this caper and being a rookie selection last 4 years he wouldnt have made alot of coin so he needs to get moving

Has enormous potential and is the perfect size and agility to tear games apart

If only Nankervis had Chol's physical attributes

Someone once posted, with great delight, how Ben Lennon got himself a personal trainer and was set for a breakout season ;);)
Hopefully it works out better for Marbs.

Someone once posted, with great delight, how Ben Lennon got himself a personal trainer and was set for a breakout season ;);)
Hopefully it works out better for Marbs.

hopefully indeed

If only Chol had Nanks physicality.

he has more speed, bounce and run than nank...

Chol has alot more going for him than Lemon ever did

He can Run
He can Tackle
He can Leap
He has height
He has reach
He has agility
He has speed

Lemon could mark & kick

xfactor too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back