Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree the Soldo for Nank is obvious.

I more meant how long we keep playing two rucks plus Jack/Lynch.

However I would say right now he is much more valuable than Caddy.
trouble is he doesn't provide the big bodied support for Jack and Tom like Caddy does. I reckon he's a year or two away from being a big dominant player. He just doesnt do enough at the moment.

Interesting selection decision coming up with Nank/Caddy looking to get back in.
Not that interesting
Egg out, Stack takes his spot down back again
Soldo out for Nank and Chol stays in as backup ruckman and pinch hit forward or back as needed

didn't you read what I said above?

Soldo might be more important currently than Chol to structure but when Nank is back number one - Chol > Soldo as he is more dynamic and compliments the team better imo

Nank and Soldo are too similar and slow

Not that interesting
Egg out, Stack takes his spot down back again
Soldo out for Nank and Chol stays in as backup ruckman and pinch hit forward or back as needed

Stack has been good forward and middle

Chol is my favourite non Essendon player in the AFL. Love his enthusiasm, his athleticism and his style (styling his hair yellow and black!) What a bloody legend hope he can keep his spot in the 22 come the business end of the season from what I’ve seen thus far he should

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

he does seem to be a legend

Soldo might be more important currently than Chol to structure but when Nank is back number one - Chol > Soldo as he is more dynamic and compliments the team better imo

Nank and Soldo are too similar and slow

Stack has been good forward and middle

Actually I disagree. Look at the individuals strengths from the team point of view. Nank isn't a really good tap ruck, but awesome everywhere else. Soldo is a really good tap ruck, OK in contests and Ok a kick behind play, but not a lot else. Chol is athletic and good around the ground, but not much chop in the ruck.

So Chol and Nank have similar strengths. Having Soldo Nank would allow us to match or better on the taps and win around the ground. Nank Chol would still leave us weak in the ruck, and with lots of strength around the ground. But in some ways I'd rather the extra mid compared to Chol.

You, and others, might prefer Chol to Soldo. But from the team point of view Soldo offers tools Chol doesn't, and vice versa. However Nank is a much better version of Chol's strengths. So, as much as I like what Chol brings, Soldo and Nank for me.

Actually I disagree. Look at the individuals strengths from the team point of view. Nank isn't a really good tap ruck, but awesome everywhere else. Soldo is a really good tap ruck, OK in contests and Ok a kick behind play, but not a lot else. Chol is athletic and good around the ground, but not much chop in the ruck.

So Chol and Nank have similar strengths. Having Soldo Nank would allow us to match or better on the taps and win around the ground. Nank Chol would still leave us weak in the ruck, and with lots of strength around the ground. But in some ways I'd rather the extra mid compared to Chol.

You, and others, might prefer Chol to Soldo. But from the team point of view Soldo offers tools Chol doesn't, and vice versa. However Nank is a much better version of Chol's strengths. So, as much as I like what Chol brings, Soldo and Nank for me.

Soldo and Nank will be a farily slow and lumbering duo?

Soldo and Nank will be a farily slow and lumbering duo?

In some ways. Although Chol might be fast, I'd back Nank to out perform him around the ground every day and twice on game days.

When you go with one ruck you can lose control of the game. So most teams are going 2 rucks - as are we. Rucks perform a number of functions.
1) Taps. A good ruck can dominate taps and effectively give control over midfield breaks to their team. Soldo is our best here by a long way.
2) In the contest acting as a bulldozer. Nank, then Soldo, then Chol a long way back.
3) As another mid. Nank by the straight, then Chol then Soldo
4) Kick behind play, filling the hole. Nank easily, then Soldo and Chol fairly even
5) KPF Nank and Chol fairly even, then Soldo

So to me for the roles rucks play Nank and Chol are very much alike, but easily Nank as better, even if less athletic. Soldo offers a role that is both important and something Nank isn't really good at. Yes Chol can run past them both and jump over them. But I'd take Nank's smarts competitiveness and muscle any day over Marbior's athleticism. Soldo is not the league of either around the ground. But he does a good job filling the hole and makes it very hard for the opposition to move the ball in the air when he's doing that role. And Ivan is obviously the best tap ruck we have.

I try to look at it like a coach. What roles need filling, not what player can jump the highest etc.

In some ways. Although Chol might be fast, I'd back Nank to out perform him around the ground every day and twice on game days.

When you go with one ruck you can lose control of the game. So most teams are going 2 rucks - as are we. Rucks perform a number of functions.
1) Taps. A good ruck can dominate taps and effectively give control over midfield breaks to their team. Soldo is our best here by a long way.
2) In the contest acting as a bulldozer. Nank, then Soldo, then Chol a long way back.
3) As another mid. Nank by the straight, then Chol then Soldo
4) Kick behind play, filling the hole. Nank easily, then Soldo and Chol fairly even
5) KPF Nank and Chol fairly even, then Soldo

So to me for the roles rucks play Nank and Chol are very much alike, but easily Nank as better, even if less athletic. Soldo offers a role that is both important and something Nank isn't really good at. Yes Chol can run past them both and jump over them. But I'd take Nank's smarts competitiveness and muscle any day over Marbior's athleticism. Soldo is not the league of either around the ground. But he does a good job filling the hole and makes it very hard for the opposition to move the ball in the air when he's doing that role. And Ivan is obviously the best tap ruck we have.

I try to look at it like a coach. What roles need filling, not what player can jump the highest etc.

Chol doesnt just jump well he is faster, more agile, dynamic, seemingly is better at pressure & tackling, goal threat, can play forward/back. I think some are underselling the output and potential of Chol.

The media, for example are high on Chol currently.

That said said Soldo has been very solid as is a good long term option too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chol doesnt just jump well he is faster, more agile, dynamic, seemingly is better at pressure & tackling, goal threat, can play forward/back. I think some are underselling the output and potential of Chol.

The media, for example are high on Chol currently.

That said said Soldo has been very solid as is a good long term option too

Look I agree with you.

But like I've said, I look at roles rather than players. And Soldo and Chol fill different roles in the overall ruck position. And with Nank I just see Soldo being more complimentary. Doesn't mean the club agree with me.

Chol is very exciting, much more than Ivan. Chol might become a genuine AFL star. I cannot see Soldo doing that. But Ivan brings tools that Chol doesn't. And I personally would rather than Ivan Nank combo because they tick all the boxes. Marbior Nank tick many boxes big time, but others not so much. just MHO

Its a tough one, on paper you think Nank and Chol but... Chols been pretty darn good the way he can get into space, his confidence is building who knows where he'll end up

Kudos to Soldo who has exceeded my expectations of him well and truly. Doesnt get smashed in the ruck contest but what Ive been pleasantly surprised with is how well he protects the drop zone from easy clearances. He tackles hard at the fall of the ball and doesnt allow the ball to be swept out with ease. His around the ground work leaves a lot to be desired but his ruckwork and work in the pack is actually massive for us. He also doesnt allow his opposition ruckman to dominate. i may be wrong but cant recall him being pantsed by an opponent? - I thought Goldy was going to torch him but he kept him in check.

Really keen on seeing how he performs against Grundy in 2 weeks. The thing that makes Grundy the best ruck in the comp for mine, is his follow up work in the drop zone and his ability to win clearances. If Soldo can stop him doing that, it will go a long way to giving us a chance to win as well as him cementing his place in the side.

Don't forget Soldo is still a young 'un and still learning the game just like Cholly!
Very blue collar traits with Soldo at the ruck contests/taps which is good just needs to take a few grabs to be better!
Cholly is a bean stork KPP and ruck relief and could be anything yet given experience...beautiful kick of the ball!
I reckon just like Dr Tigris its Nanks and Soldo for me...

Premiership season Nank beat nearly every ruck in the game bar Gawn and Grundy (close). Nic Nat was out. Wasn't so good last year, but still a bloody good player. He wins clearances (as does Chol), so tap work is not that important because his follow up at ground level is like a big midfielder. Nank is miles above Soldo, and Chol is learning and adds class and a bit of x factor. Chol does well late in the games when the rucks start to tire. Nank will work em over, Chol finish them off. (With my best rose coloured glasses on).

Premiership season Nank beat nearly every ruck in the game bar Gawn and Grundy (close). Nic Nat was out. Wasn't so good last year, but still a bloody good player. He wins clearances (as does Chol), so tap work is not that important because his follow up at ground level is like a big midfielder. Nank is miles above Soldo, and Chol is learning and adds class and a bit of x factor. Chol does well late in the games when the rucks start to tire. Nank will work em over, Chol finish them off. (With my best rose coloured glasses on).

I don't (entirely) disagree. I reckon Nank is very good - I mean extremely good compared to most AFL rucks. But good tap rucks do beat him.

However, that's not the point. If we go with 2 rucks. IF we go with TWO rucks. Then who is a better compliment to Nank; Soldo or Chol? My view is that although it's close and I think Chol is a better footballer, Soldo adds more to the team than Chol - as long as Nank is also in the team.

If we argue about individuals then that's a very different story.

# 1) Nank. OK tap ruck and very good everything else. Clearly our best option, by more than a mile.
# 2) Hmm, depends on what we are talking about
Chol will get spanked by a strong quality tap ruck and so give the opposition control over the stoppages/contests. But around the ground he adds spark and is a danger forward.
Soldo will tend either win or nullify the tap, helps a lot in contested areas, and is a good kick behind play player. But not much in open play or as a mobile target.

I don't (entirely) disagree. I reckon Nank is very good - I mean extremely good compared to most AFL rucks. But good tap rucks do beat him.

However, that's not the point. If we go with 2 rucks. IF we go with TWO rucks. Then who is a better compliment to Nank; Soldo or Chol? My view is that although it's close and I think Chol is a better footballer, Soldo adds more to the team than Chol - as long as Nank is also in the team.

If we argue about individuals then that's a very different story.

# 1) Nank. OK tap ruck and very good everything else. Clearly our best option, by more than a mile.
# 2) Hmm, depends on what we are talking about
Chol will get spanked by a strong quality tap ruck and so give the opposition control over the stoppages/contests. But around the ground he adds spark and is a danger forward.
Soldo will tend either win or nullify the tap, helps a lot in contested areas, and is a good kick behind play player. But not much in open play or as a mobile target.
Chol has shown at times he can get back and fill a hole in defence also. My bet is Chol will tire anyway, mentally more than anything, and by then Balta may be ready. Similar situation to Chol, not a great ruck, but the offensive factor is there.

ohh boy.....that's a seaaaaaaaring pass if i'm not mistaken......seaaaring it was..

<iframe class="imgur-embed" width="100%" height="360" frameborder="0" src=""></iframe>

I know this is a video about Chol, but have a look at the work rate of Stack in this clip.

Starts in the defensive 50 at the beginning of the video and ends up at the top of the goal square un opposed and probably unlucky that Castagna didn't flick him the handball to kick the goal himself.

In
In Nanks 8 games and Soldos 6 games this year, Soldo averages 6 more hitouts, more tackles, more tackles inside 50, more goal assists, more frees for, greater disposal efficiency (by 20%) half the clangers, more contested marks, more marks inside 50, more rebound 50s, more one percenters.
The biggest differential is disposals, 14 to Nank, 7 to Soldo, apart from that and Soldo more dominant in the ruck, their numbers dont differ a lot.
Way to many aren't paying Soldo the respect he deserves. You say Chol is learning, but Soldo has just recently turned 23 and played only 14 games. He is akso still learning.

In
In Nanks 8 games and Soldos 6 games this year, Soldo averages 6 more hitouts, more tackles, more tackles inside 50, more goal assists, more frees for, greater disposal efficiency (by 20%) half the clangers, more contested marks, more marks inside 50, more rebound 50s, more one percenters.
The biggest differential is disposals, 14 to Nank, 7 to Soldo, apart from that and Soldo more dominant in the ruck, their numbers dont differ a lot.
Way to many aren't paying Soldo the respect he deserves. You say Chol is learning, but Soldo has just recently turned 23 and played only 14 games. He is akso still learning.
You are not seriously going to argue with stats about who is a better footballer, Nankervis or Soldo.

Soldo is a big lumbering dinosaur, Chol is a Mercedes in comparison. And yes they are both learning, but until about 6 weeks ago, Chol had been floating around the forward line with nothing much to do (ruckwise) while Soldo has been carrying the ruck dept. for a couple years in the VFL.

Soldo is a better tap ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back