Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing game last night. Sort of player when he plays bad he looks shocking. Alongside Nank atleast when he is bad we can bench him. Still needs to improve his positioning when he drops back into defence a lot for a ruckmen, just doesnt push back hard enough and gets lost. I think we have all at some stage made the Chol can never play again comment. So much to work with though.

Thank god Nank was back.

Although Chol had some moments there was certainly others that showed his deficiencies.
He was completely gassed in the game late on which shows he lacks the tank to be a 4 qtr player (like last week). Even when he went up forward, the delivery would be good, his body position would be good initially and then he's not using his body strength and ends up playing from behind.
His goal off the ground in the square papered over the cracks in this instance but he did it numerous times.
That sort of thing killed us in the QF last year when he was up forward.

In saying that he's goal from outside 50 on the run was awesome and came at a time we really needed it.

I still reckon this was one of those 'tease' games he does for us.
Chol is like the cherry on top, only good if they rest of the dessert is spectacular?

Although Chol had some moments there was certainly others that showed his deficiencies.

Can find a dozen 'moments' minimum from every game Dusty's played this year which you could throw the same label on. Last week when the game was on the line he got out-bodied and out-marked 1:1 by Quaynor of all players - was that a 'moment' which "certainly" showed up Dusty's "deficiencies?"

Or did you choose to balance Dusty's 'momentary deficiencies' and the times he falls short against the things he does so well, then ignore/not harp on the negative?

Marbs got hung by a stack of people last week for getting out-marked when he was dead on his feet and playing hurt, plenty gave him a disproportionate amount of blame for the loss, not a peep for Dusty getting beaten by Quaynor.

Which player should be held to the higher standard? Marbs?

Part of why so many resort to that double standard is because Dusty has the 'runs on the board' - to a large degree he's become beyond criticism. Fair enough too.

Unfortunately, too many people choose to write off our <50 gamers and instead of giving them some 'runs on the board' for the games where they've earned it in their short careers, they say things like...

I still reckon this was one of those 'tease' games he does for us.

You and the many other people who choose to see what Marbs has done so far that way are entitled to your opinion. I'm going to continue pointing out that it's unfair to judge players on different standards (giving champions a free pass for the same 'deficiencies') and unfair to hold our most inexperienced players to unrealistic expectations - where if they don't star week in week out, they must be 'teasing us.'

As Dimma said in the presser (paraphrasing) 'The thing we love about Marbs is that he's improved and become more consistent every single year he's been at the club.' Can't ask more from any player than that, IMO.

Is it so much to ask to give the man a break and show a bit of faith based on the 'runs he's put on the board?'

A speculative pick off the rookie list doing as well as him is a massive bonus to be enjoyed and appreciated. Just like Soldo and Nank before him, he's giving us bloody good value for money. :thumbsu:

Mab's is having his best year and has shown so far this year that he is better than what he has been in the past and to me that continued improvement
If he can continue his improvement another 10% and just learn to attack the ball a bit more he will be a handful for other teams to defend
Im hoping he gains confidence from these games and goes for his chances more.
But in saying that i think he has taken the notice of other teams now and he will have some decent offers

Ralph Carr manages Chol & Bolton (also Rioli?). It is obvious his negotiation strategy is to wait until late. I wonder whether they will be making decisions before finals like they did with Dusty.

Challenge with Chol being a FA is that you are still making an offer based on what he might become. He only played 53% TOG on Saturday, so after 6 years in the system he cant play a full game. Though in his own defence he has only played 28 games at AFL level and only one game before this year at any level as the sole ruck. However his next birthday is his 25th and he could really go to another level, probably the year after next just because he hasnt git enough games at the level under his belt. How we did not play him with Nank from the start of the year is beyond me.

He has serious X factor and we have invested 6 years into him, I hope that we have to pay a pretty penny to keep him because that will mean he has gone on a tear in the last two months of the season

Last edited:
Ralph Carr manages Chol & Bolton (also Rioli?). It is obvious his negotiation strategy is to wait until late. I wonder whether they will be making decisions before finals like they did with Dusty.

Challenge with Chol being a FA is that you are still making an offer based on what he might become. He only played 53% TOG on Saturday, so after 6 years in the system he cant play a full game. Though in his own defence he has only played 28 games at AFL level and only one game before this year at any level as the sole ruck. However his next birthday is his 25th and he could really go to another level, probably the year after next just because he hasnt git enough games at the level under his belt. How we did not play him with Nank from the start of the year is beyond me.

He has serious X factor and we have invested 6 years into him, I hope that we have to pay a pretty penny to keep him because that will mean he has gone on a tear in the last two months of the season
I wouldnt go breaking the Bank for Chol
2 years $300k

Its sad that i dont have the same confidence in the others
It is sad to see sad things it makes me sad. :p Chol was good but all in all has played 2 really good games for us. If he can string good games together we would not be talking about keeping or trading ccj. I know that Adelaide is into him in some way so at least if he doesn't make it he has somewhere to go.

Great game. Looked a little harder at it and looks like the " Im a big dude, got to use that' penny might be starting to drop".
I noticed a couple of plays he didn't attack the footy when e should have. last week I thought that was being a bit soft. I think it it might be more a lack of confidence that he can grow on. Right now I think there are moments he feels like he'd be stepping out of line to take charge of. other moments he clearly knows its his time to go and goes well. Its not a knock on the kid, his confidence will grow and you'd rather he lacks a little bit of leadership or confidence at this age than shirking the physicality.
Hats off to him. has natural talent for days and is ahead of CCJ as a priority signing for mine.

I wouldnt go breaking the Bank for Chol
2 years $300k
Well if he averaged 4 goals a game for the rest of the season and took home the Norm Smith you would be robbing the bank to keep him, and you would probably be happy doing it.

My point is if his form his hit and miss for the remainder of the year, matching or raising towards other offers he gets especially if it is above $300K for 2 years you are paying him for what he might become not what he is.

Id rather be in the first position, wouldnt you?

Well if he averaged 4 goals a game for the rest of the season and took home the Norm Smith you would be robbing the bank to keep him, and you would probably be happy doing it.

My point is if his form his hit and miss for the remainder of the year, matching or raising towards other offers he gets especially if it is above $300K for 2 years you are paying him for what he might become not what he is.

Id rather be in the first position, wouldnt you?
I think with Chol is 80% of what we have seen is what we will get
there will be some more improvement but not sure how much more we get with him.

His physicality and aggression is the issue , He needs to be able to hold the intensity of his good parts for longer during games
But i wouldnt be going above $300k as it would need to be an offer of $450k x 3 to move him

If you were 50-50 and your life depended on it, I don't think you would bet Chol makes it.

He has his moments, he makes the impossible seem possible, unfortunately he also makes the possible seem impossible.

If he put it all together he would be super dominant but I think we have seen enough it's not going to happen with us.

If you were 50-50 and your life depended on it, I don't think you would bet Chol makes it.

He has his moments, he makes the impossible seem possible, unfortunately he also makes the possible seem impossible.

If he put it all together he would be super dominant but I think we have seen enough it's not going to happen with us.
Absolutely feel the same way but I hear a lot that Ruckman onky really put it together after 25. Well that will be next year, so maybe he will still put it all together?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with Marbs is that the difference between his best and his worst is about as big as I have ever seen in the AFL. If he can be more consistent with his best performances then he is an asset. If he continues the way he has been going, that is unlikely to happen, but his best would be oh so sexy!

Has average endurance which I reckon goes a fair way to explaining why he sometimes appears to lack intensity.

He’s built for speed, Short bursts, high impact.

Last year had a big preseason played some great footy early then completely hit the wall at the back end of the season.

As mentioned a great partner for Nank who physically is the opposite.

I hope he stays, just reckon it’s great to have tall athletic freaks like Mab and Balta alongside Lynch Nank JR. Good mix

Gotta wonder what a club picking up Chol is wanting him to play as. His absolute celing in my opinion is serviceable 2nd Ruck/3rd Forward.

Like everyone else, I am just in awe of his best and if he could do it consistently I don't think there is anyone quite like him in the league but I don't think he will ever get quite there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back