Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:

yep no big contracts at Sydney...
Tippett and Franklin came here for the weather, certainly not because we paid more than anyone else

s**t.
I forgot they were were rookies.
Cox was a rookie, I expect that meant he was on a low salary once he turned into a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope we tell Jake we will recruit his young brother. Look we recruited Brandon Jack as a moderately talented kid, but I always felt Brandon was a late night telemarketing bonus steak knives offer to assuage his elder brother... a legal version of Kurt the Tinman Moneyball's arrangement with the mooCows to look after his brother.

Focusing on footy hey

I share some uncertainty with this. I reckon that was a careful message to the club given the club and his manager have talked - and imo probably were apart on terms initially. Just a small indication to the effect of "I'm in no rush and I'm not going to be forced into a contract beneath my very consistent performance".

I reckon he'll re-sign eventuallt because of the club being good to him so far in his career and him only having good things to say about the club over the years. But the club would want to be careful with this and offer something fair if they don't want to lose him.

his lack of pace and penetration on his kicks will mean he won't get much more than his last contract. his tackle numbers are not great either. would rather we tried to keep zac jones.

I like Lloydy but like any other player over the years that wants to "go home", I wish them well & would prefer we don't get into bidding wars with how much they think they are worth. I always refer back to Jude Bolton who tested the waters else where & had no takers & from that point on he signed one years contracts for about 7 years & won another p'ship & finished as a one club player. Win/win for both Jude & club.

I hope Jake is paid his true value in our system but if another club is enticing him home then let him go.

Serious question Punts.
Where do you rate Conca of Richmond compared to Lloyd?
Do you think if we let Jake go & picked up Conca we would improve?
Conca has him covered defensively and overhead imo but Lloyd’s running capabilities are better

I think they are quite different players though with conca I would say is more of a stopper

I wouldn’t be disappointed if Jake left as long as a fair trade can be made

Conca has him covered defensively and overhead imo but Lloyd’s running capabilities are better

I think they are quite different players though with conca I would say is more of a stopper

I wouldn’t be disappointed if Jake left as long as a fair trade can be made
Agree. Very different players but perhaps both worth a similar pick.

He doesn't play against the Hawks last year and we lose, he has 36 disposals against them and we win. He is the best gut runner we have since Hanners' groin issues.

I like Lloydy but like any other player over the years that wants to "go home", I wish them well & would prefer we don't get into bidding wars with how much they think they are worth. I always refer back to Jude Bolton who tested the waters else where & had no takers & from that point on he signed one years contracts for about 7 years & won another p'ship & finished as a one club player. Win/win for both Jude & club.

I hope Jake is paid his true value in our system but if another club is enticing him home then let him go.

He tested the waters with a nudge from Roosy didn't he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back