Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
What a 100th! I know I harp on about him and some will say I rate him too highly, but IDGAF. We just played the most skilful team I think I've ever seen play the game in my lifetime, and Lloyd was one of the few who was consistently at their level. Just so clean, so composed. This was the Lloyd of last year, and what a difference he makes. He is not the quickest in our side, he is not the most skilful in our side, he is not the toughest in our side, but I think he's the one player on our list who has the combination of all of them (aside from Buddy obviously who is a goat.)

What a 100th! I know I harp on about him and some will say I rate him too highly, but IDGAF. We just played the most skilful team I think I've ever seen play the game in my lifetime, and Lloyd was one of the few who was consistently at their level. Just so clean, so composed. This was the Lloyd of last year, and what a difference he makes. He is not the quickest in our side, he is not the most skilful in our side, he is not the toughest in our side, but I think he's the one player on our list who has the combination of all of them (aside from Buddy obviously who is a goat.)

That makes no sense unless you are saying that we are more skilful than Hawthorn.

No, I’m saying Hawthorn have been and still are the most skilful team of the last decade. And Lloyd was on their level of class.

Lloyd's kicking is limited by its lack of penetration. Not distance, penetration.

Cunningham is a far better kick than Lloyd.

Lloyd's kicking is limited by its lack of penetration. Not distance, penetration.

Cunningham is a far better kick than Lloyd.

Lloyd doesn’t need to be a penetrating kick. He just has to be that Pendlebury-esque link in the chain that sets up a passage out of our back 50. He is an elite decision maker and his composure is elite, and he even manages to keep it interesting by giving us heart attacks with a shank to the opposition per game!

Lloyd doesn’t need to be a penetrating kick. He just has to be that Pendlebury-esque link in the chain that sets up a passage out of our back 50. He is an elite decision maker and his composure is elite, and he even manages to keep it interesting by giving us heart attacks with a shank to the opposition per game!

He can't be elite if he doesn't add penetration to his kicking.

He can't be elite if he doesn't add penetration to his kicking.

Two of the best players I’ve ever seen in GAJ and Pendlebury are not penetrating kicks. But they identify good targets then make sure the ball hits said targets. I couldn’t care less what manner Lloyd disposes of the ball in. I don’t care if he farts the ball out of his arse to a team-mate as long as a target is hit. It’s so hard to find in our team and we have a player who 99% of the time pulls it off yet we’re unhappy that he caresses the ball rather than delivers a bullet?!

Two of the best players I’ve ever seen in GAJ and Pendlebury are not penetrating kicks. But they identify good targets then make sure the ball hits said targets. I couldn’t care less what manner Lloyd disposes of the ball in. I don’t care if he farts the ball out of his arse to a team-mate as long as a target is hit. It’s so hard to find in our team and we have a player who 99% of the time pulls it off yet we’re unhappy that he caresses the ball rather than delivers a bullet?!

What?
If you think there is no difference between how someone like Sicily delivers the ball and how Lloyd delivers the ball then I can't help you.

I am not denigrating Lloyd, he does his job in our team very well, makes good decisions, makes few mistakes but I'd swap him for a player like Sicily any day of the way and twice on Sundays.

as usual his defensive play was pathetic. at one stage didn't even get off the ground to attempt to spoil gunston.

whenever he tries for too much with his kicks he gives the ball and often a goal away.

he is not worth anymore than he is on at the moment.

should not be getting any more than someone like nick smith.

36 disposals last night and there is no way he was anywhere near our top 5.

as usual his defensive play was pathetic. at one stage didn't even get off the ground to attempt to spoil gunston.

whenever he tries for too much with his kicks he gives the ball and often a goal away.

he is not worth anymore than he is on at the moment.

should not be getting any more than someone like nick smith.

36 disposals last night and there is no way he was anywhere near our top 5.

what’s he on now?

What?
If you think there is no difference between how someone like Sicily delivers the ball and how Lloyd delivers the ball then I can't help you.

I am not denigrating Lloyd, he does his job in our team very well, makes good decisions, makes few mistakes but I'd swap him for a player like Sicily any day of the way and twice on Sundays.

Not even the same type of player so what's the point in comparing them? My point is that penetration with kicking is not everything. As I pointed out I've barely seen Pendlebury or GAJ deliver a bullet to their players. Yet they still identify good targets and hit those targets. Same as Lloyd. His job isn't to penetrate with his kicks he just needs to find the right targets out of defence and then run to make plays happen. He does both of those things and very well.

Like I said, standard lone shank kick per game aside, I trust him more than anyone in our side with the ball both by hand and by foot. It's not saying a whole lot in a team full of average-to-good kicks, but it's still true.

Not even the same type of player so what's the point in comparing them? My point is that penetration with kicking is not everything. As I pointed out I've barely seen Pendlebury or GAJ deliver a bullet to their players. Yet they still identify good targets and hit those targets. Same as Lloyd. His job isn't to penetrate with his kicks he just needs to find the right targets out of defence and then run to make plays happen. He does both of those things and very well.

Like I said, standard lone shank kick per game aside, I trust him more than anyone in our side with the ball both by hand and by foot. It's not saying a whole lot in a team full of average-to-good kicks, but it's still true.
Just don’t trust him anything over 15-20m

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Lloyd is top 50 so should be able to hit longer targets

The majority of blokes in the top 50 can't even hit a target at all let alone longer than 15-20m.

You and I will never agree regarding Lloyd so let's find a middle ground and say we love having him as a Swan and hope he stays lol

I have acknowledged all that is good about Lloyd.
I am just expressing the view that if his kicking had penetration he would go to the next level.

What?

If Sicily came to play for Swans they''d find him standing for two days in the rain outside Swans HQ waiting for someone to remove the 'No Dickheads' sign.

Lloyd may not be the most penetrating kick but I'd take him every time. He's no dickhead.

If Sicily came to play for Swans they''d find him standing for two days in the rain outside Swans HQ waiting for someone to remove the 'No Dickheads' sign.

Lloyd may not be the most penetrating kick but I'd take him every time. He's no dickhead.

Come on Bungee.
It was a hypothetical.

If Sicily came to the Swans the second after he hit Buddy lace out from 60m we would all forget how much of a DH he is.

In the current market, he will command $550k-$600K, considerably more if the Taints or #lolNorf are interested.

North and stkilda offers aren’t real though, pretty sure they give you a post it with IOU for a lot of it

Sicily is a good player but he's overrated. There's a reason why Horse chose to tag Mitchell & Smith out of the game while letting Sicily go around unhindered. Despite his long kids he's not that damaging.

Lloyd I don't think is that damaging either but he's smart and rarely kicks to a dangerous space, but most importantly he's not a dick head and he works his ass off. At 24 I don't doubt he's got another level to improve upon, really hope he lock him up for a long time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back