Player Watch #44 Jake Lloyd

Remove this Banner Ad

sbyiYhsV.jpg

Jake Lloyd

Player Profile

Jake Lloyd is a ball magnet, an endurance machine, a clean user of the footy and a calming influence on the Sydney Swans’ half-back line. The former rookie-listed Swan averaged 27.22 disposals per match between 2016 and 2019 and won the club’s 2018 Bob Skilton Medal. Lloyd became the quickest Swan in history to reach 100 senior games when he ran out against Hawthorn at the MCG in Round 8, 2018. He was then recognised as one of the best players in the league when he was selected for Victoria in the State of Origin match for bushfire relief in February 2019. Draft history: 2013 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 15; 2014 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Jake Lloyd

DOB: 20 September 1993
DEBUT: 2013
DRAFT: 2014
RECRUITED FROM: Horsham Demons (Vic)/North Ballarat U18

Last edited:
It really is amazing how much this guy has developed under the Swans. given when he started he had more clangers than the rest of the team combined. The groans from the Brewongle concourse every time he touched it, the Clanger counter one guy set up where he’d count them out every match.
just a few years later he has the rare football quality called composure. sure, he’s not a physical beast nor the best tackler but if feels safe when it’s in his hands and he never looks rushed. Some of the younger kids could learn from him, A keeper for sure.

It really is amazing how much this guy has developed under the Swans. given when he started he had more clangers than the rest of the team combined. The groans from the Brewongle concourse every time he touched it, the Clanger counter one guy set up where he’d count them out every match.
just a few years later he has the rare football quality called composure. sure, he’s not a physical beast nor the best tackler but if feels safe when it’s in his hands and he never looks rushed. Some of the younger kids could learn from him, A keeper for sure.
Spot on Gimme and as much as a lot of the experts on here don't rate him, this is obviously how his coaches and team mates view him.

Did a lot of nice things defensively last night and was hard at the ball, gets absolutely hung every time he makes a mistake.
Was good in the first quarter when we were at our best. His kicking is a little off this season but no where near the liability everyone is making out to be

Was good in the first quarter when we were at our best. His kicking is a little off this season but no where near the liability everyone is making out to be
Thought he had a good last quarter too, made a couple of good defensive contests which he halved against bigger opponents, including a spoil vs two Eagles IIRC in their F50. Made a nice pinpoint pass to Mills in between a bunch of Eagles, but obviously there were crickets in the gameday chat when all of this happened.

Give me a break. One of our best and there are people here I think who denegrate him just to sooth their own selfish egos.

Sure he makes mistakes. Do did Paddy in week one, kicked straight to an opponent. Rampe does it regularly but nobody says Jack s**t. Bombs away without looking because he is hemmed on his left because he has no right. Every player has bloopers they wish did not exist.

Lloyd was good last weekend. Very good. His punch OOB was sensational, he put gis body on the line against much larger opponents, for his team. His kicking was also good. He averages 80 ĐE. He was up to thst last week. Give him a break.

Nobody who has won two Skilton Medals and has been runner up once is not a good player. He would be one of the first picked and rightly so.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Give me a break. One of our best and there are people here I think who denegrate him just to sooth their own selfish egos.

Sure he makes mistakes. Do did Paddy in week one, kicked straight to an opponent. Rampe does it regularly but nobody says Jack s**t. Bombs away without looking because he is hemmed on his left because he has no right. Every player has bloopers they wish did not exist.

Lloyd was good last weekend. Very good. His punch OOB was sensational, he put gis body on the line against much larger opponents, for his team. His kicking was also good. He averages 80 ĐE. He was up to thst last week. Give him a break.

Nobody who has won two Skilton Medals and has been runner up once is not a good player. He would be one of the first picked and rightly so.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rampe's actually been our best user of the defenders (incl Campbell, JMac, the McCartins, Lloyd, Blakey, Cunners) so far this year, averaging his highest disposal efficiency of his career (year to year) - 88.3% (85% kick effectiveness).

But anyway, with Lloyd, you're right. People ignore the good stuff, focus on the bad. I think he is out of form, but his out of form still means he's in the 22. Some act like he's meant to be a one on one defender, which he's never been, although he did outperform Blakey and Campbell combined on Friday in that regard. And he's still our 2nd best defender in ball use this year, behind Rampe.

Rampe's actually been our best user of the defenders (incl Campbell, JMac, the McCartins, Lloyd, Blakey, Cunners) so far this year, averaging his highest disposal efficiency of his career (year to year) - 88.3% (85% kick effectiveness).

But anyway, with Lloyd, you're right. People ignore the good stuff, focus on the bad. I think he is out of form, but his out of form still means he's in the 22. Some act like he's meant to be a one on one defender, which he's never been, although he did outperform Blakey and Campbell combined on Friday in that regard. And he's still our 2nd best defender in ball use this year, behind Rampe.

On Rampe, he averages 2.4 clangers per game, of which 1.6 are frees against. Which means he's averaging 0.8 turnovers/other clangers each game.

So less than one per game. Not terrible. Granted this doesn't take into account kicks that go to a contest when they should have found someone in space, or hospital handpasses/kicks, or falling over when he should have kept his feet. But it doesn't scream "terrible kick" like some suggest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the dotted line please Jake!
Was rumoured to be on $500k before his current 4 year deal, probably on a bit more currently, as Gold Coast were supposedly offering him $100-150k more than whatever we were, so assume we moved a bit (maybe $550-600k). I'd probably go a 2 year deal around $450k. He's still valuable, but has probably peaked as he nears 30 and we do have a few other handy half backs, plenty of other contracts to get over the line. Would hope he takes a bit less than he could get elsewhere to stick around and try for a flag.

Last edited:
Was rumoured to be on $500k before his current 4 year deal, probably on a bit more currently, as Gold Coast were supposedly offering him $100-150k more than whatever we were, so assume we moved a bit (maybe $550-600k). I'd probably go a 2 year deal around $450k. He's still valuable, but has probably peaked as he nears 30 and we do have a few other handy half backs, plenty of other contracts to get over the line. Would hope he takes a bit less than he could get elsewhere to stick around and try for a flag.
Be interesting to see how his form goes for the rest of the year too. If he has a down year he may not get offers of $650k+ or 3-4 year deals

Be interesting to see how his form goes for the rest of the year too. If he has a down year he may not get offers of $650k+ or 3-4 year deals
Well I'd be surprised if his value goes up, or he gets offered 3-4 year deals, as he nears 30. If we were offering $450-500k, someone with some cap space and either trying for a flag, or wanting someone to instill workrate and positioning to a younger side, might offer him more on a 2-3 year deal. Never got the sense he's been interested in leaving for money though (since he stayed for less last time), regardless of how his year pans out, and we're one of the challengers already.

Well I'd be surprised if his value goes up, or he gets offered 3-4 year deals, as he nears 30. If we were offering $450-500k, someone with some cap space and either trying for a flag, or wanting someone to instill workrate and positioning to a younger side, might offer him more on a 2-3 year deal. Never got the sense he's been interested in leaving for money though (since he stayed for less last time), regardless of how his year pans out, and we're one of the challengers already.
29 this year. Doesn't play with huge bursts of speed or a hard hitting style (not calling him soft) so could easily play past 32 (3 year deal)

29 this year. Doesn't play with huge bursts of speed or a hard hitting style (not calling him soft) so could easily play past 32 (3 year deal)
Well, 29 is as close to 'nearing 30' as you'll get... It's not a criticism of him at all, he's quite the athlete, I just prefer not to offer longer deals to players around that age. E.g. I'd have offered Parker 2-3 on the same money, or 4 on less (to try and keep a certain mid who shall not be named). We've also started to pick up / develop a few half-backs, but hey, 2 years and an option for a 3rd why not.

I'd probably wait til halfway through the year though, see if he works his way through the current form slump (he's not the worst in our team, but he's below par for him).

Well, 29 is as close to 'nearing 30' as you'll get... It's not a criticism of him at all, he's quite the athlete, I just prefer not to offer longer deals to players around that age. E.g. I'd have offered Parker 2-3 on the same money, or 4 on less (to try and keep a certain mid who shall not be named). We've also started to pick up / develop a few half-backs, but hey, 2 years and an option for a 3rd why not.

I'd probably wait til halfway through the year though, see if he works his way through the current form slump (he's not the worst in our team, but he's below par for him).
Moreso if another club offers him a 4 year deal what the Free Agency compo might look like

Rewatching the first quarter - Lloyd is basically a brick wall across the backline as he reads the play really well and makes an impact in every contest, gets the ball inside 50 a number of times as well.

I think he's a gun and we have no half backs who have proven to be as consistent as Lloyd as of yet. I also think he's a key part in helping those other half backs to thrive. Said it last year and I'll say it again, if our plan is to leak 1-2 best 22 players every off-season then we're really just treading water.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back