Toast Brad Sheppard (2010 - 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to kick this think off now that silly thing called NAB cup has ended and with round 1 beckoning versus the old foe, Fremantle Dockers. By all reports, Mr Sheppard has had a fantastic pre-season which was disrupted briefly towards the end with a broken wrist. Still, that injury should not have affected his fitness levels at all.

As a medium sized player with a light frame, Sheppard has been played on a HBF. That is, until last season. Season 2012 saw somewhat of a breakout year for Sheppard after Woosha made the mastermind move to play him across half forward and pushing up to a wing. Sheppard relished this role and seemed to excel in a season where he played 12 games after getting his first nod in round 6 against North Melbourne. His attack on the football was a welcome sight, something us fans had long been asking for from Shep. Unfortunately injury derailed his game late in the season which seemed to really restrict his play. He was sent in for surgery after round 19 and was ruled out for the rest of season 2012.

So, what are the expectations for 2013 you ask? With the hope that Sheppard has continued to get stronger through the core, I'd like to see him get stuck in and win some hard, contested ball. Much like Masten has continued to get bigger and stronger (and had a real break out last season), I expect something similar from Sheppard this year. If he has a season that gets close to that of Masten 2012, it will have been a success. He's a good runner, a good kick with decent pace, yet his highest disposal count last season was 19. He needs to hit that 20 disposal barrier on a more consistent basis and contribute a goal a game.

Onto NAB cup form. Admittedly I have only seen one round of the NAB cup that West Coast has played, being the first round robin games against Fremantle and Geelong. Unfortunately Sheppard didn't play in these games as he was still recovering from his wrist injury suffered earlier in the pre-season. Further NAB cup analysis will be solely stats based, as I was over east for a period (missing the Collingwood game) and the Port game wasn't televised.

NAB Cup Round 2 (vs Collingwood) -

Kicks: 8
Handballs: 5
Disposals: 13
Marks: 4
Tackles: 2
Contested Poss: 5
Disposal Efficiency: 76.9%
Time on Ground: 86%

Seemed to get a decent run in this game, his first of the NAB cup. I don't know how much you can take out of these games, so the only thing worth noting here is his disposal efficiency - 76.9%. Impressive for a first hitout where most can be excused as just blowing out the cobwebs.

NAB Cup Round 3 (vs Port Adelaide) -

Kicks: 6
Handballs: 3
Disposals: 9
Marks: 2
Tackles: 0
Contested Poss: 4
Disposal Efficiency: 55.6%
Time on Ground: 80%

A warm game up in the NT where players seem to have been rotated heavily. A lowish disposal count considering we were playing a couple short, but whatever. Disposal efficiency also a little low, but whatever. Sheppard is awesome and these games are silly.

Sheppard is certainly in the frame to be selected for round one after the news Rosa is set to miss the first 6 weeks and Embley struggling to get up. Here's hoping The Great One does get selected and plays his ass off :thumbsu:

I apologise for there being no awesome pictures in this first post, however I am at work and am half busy. Bring on round 1 :footy:

AFL Round 1 (vs Fremantle) -

Named in the starting team for round 1 against the old foe, things were looking up for the German. Unlike last season where Sheppard was made to wait 6-7 rounds before his first AFL game of the season, he was in favour with the match committee from day dot. A show of faith in the young lad :thumbsu: .

Fast forward a couple of days and things seem to have crashed back to earth for Sheppard. He was part of an injury riddled team overrun by Fremantle to the tune of 28 points. The German had a quiet game playing a role that didn't seem too distinguished, somewhere between HFF and wing.

sheprd1.jpg

Kicks: 5
Handballs: 5
Disposals: 10
Marks: 2
Tackles: 1
Contested Poss: 8
Disposal Efficiency: 80%
Time on ground: 80%

Again not a high possession game, somewhat reflecting his role in the team. Promising signs with 80% of his possessions contested along with high disposal efficiency.

I'm focussing on his contested stats, as it was the part of his game that most needed improving. That said, he is an outside, attacking player and thus still needs to pick up those cheapies where he can put us in a position to score. He struggled with this side of his game on Saturday.

Going by his game against Fremantle and his subsequent WAFL game, he's very borderline in our best team. No automatic selection by any means, so here's to hoping he does get another gig against the Hawks in round 2 and shows why he belongs! :thumbsu:

How was this guy a top 10 pick? He doesn't even have a elite kick, he needs to step up! He's too soft!
I really feel like his kicking and agression have gone down hill since drafting. His first year was actually pretty good and he looked like he justified his pick. He looks like a tentative and nervous player a lot of the time now imo.

Met him last night and had a bit of a chat. Get the impression he's a bit of a ratbag like his cousins, haha.

He's a quality talent. Has the right attributes athletically (speed, footskills etc), and his ferocious attack on the ball in 2012 was Waters-like. Just needs to find that level of consistency. I think he's at the stage now where he's too good for WAFL, and just needs games at the next level in order to improve.

I think he'll be like Rosa in the sense that, he'll be fairly inconsistent for a while before it all clicks. With higher than upside than Rosa though, when he brings it all together. Can see him being very important.

Met him last night and had a bit of a chat. Get the impression he's a bit of a ratbag like his cousins, haha.

He's a quality talent. Has the right attributes athletically (speed, footskills etc), and his ferocious attack on the ball in 2012 was Waters-like. Just needs to find that level of consistency. I think he's at the stage now where he's too good for WAFL, and just needs games at the next level in order to improve.

I think he'll be like Rosa in the sense that, he'll be fairly inconsistent for a while before it all clicks. With higher than upside than Rosa though, when he brings it all together. Can see him being very important.
what was the conversation? word to word i'll analyse it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what was the conversation? word to word i'll analyse it!

Nah he was friendly enough, it wasn't the direct conversation I was really referring to. Saw him try and pinch someone's cab later on for instance haha and also I know a story about him from a while ago through my sister. Nothing major, I'm sure he's a good bloke. ;)

Noooooo! What have I done here! Firstly, an apology to the great man. Bradley, if you are reading this, I apologise from the bottom of my heart for neglecting this great thread. However, my love for you has not wavered, as can be seen by the newly founded 'Brad Sheppard Appreciation Round'. This will be a common occurrence, round 11 of each year.

It all started here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-sheppard-appreciation-week.1010651/ after some numpty decided he will roast your round 10 game against the Tigers.

It was brought to the main board by yours truly, like the great sponsor I swear I am: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-sheppard-appreciation-week.1010878/ . The thread ultimately ended up in the Bay, as the MB wasn't ready for your prowess just yet. I look forward to bumping that thread one day and bringing it back to the MB after you tear it up on GF day in the future.

I hope you have a great game against the Saints on the weekend, celebrating the inaugural BSAR with a BOG performance.

:hearts: Shupe

Brad Sheppards 2013 season.

Played 13 games

Only had 1 running bounce the entire year, for someone that claims his biggest strength is to break the lines is s**t house. He averaged a total of 2.4 tackles a game, he averaged under 4 contested touches a game and only averaged 12 touches a game

Played 13 games

Only had 1 running bounce the entire year, for someone that claims his biggest strength is to break the lines is s**t house. He averaged a total of 2.4 tackles a game, he averaged under 4 contested touches a game and only averaged 12 touches a game

2.4 tackles per game sounds decent for a predominantly outside player.

Where has he claimed that his biggest strength is breaking the lines?

Played 13 games

This is my domain now, so buddy, if you watch the games last year you'll see that Sheppard was forced down back again in the AFL, to the detriment of his football. Hopefully this year he will revert to his high half-forward role of 2012, where he played some excellent football, with some runs through the wing and midfield as well.

However, my love for you has not wavered, as can be seen by the newly founded 'Brad Sheppard Appreciation Round'. This will be a common occurrence, round 11 of each year.

It all started here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-sheppard-appreciation-week.1010651/after some numpty decided he will roast your round 10 game against the Tigers.

It was brought to the main board by yours truly, like the great sponsor I swear I am:http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-sheppard-appreciation-week.1010878/ . The thread ultimately ended up in the Bay, as the MB wasn't ready for your prowess just yet. I look forward to bumping that thread one day and bringing it back to the MB after you tear it up on GF day in the future.

Also, proud to say I will be continuing this tradition in 2014. Thanks for starting it Shupe, it is an honour to continue it.

Good start to the pre-season for Sheppard, apparently he's been throwing down some strong times across the TT's and showing some bulk as well.

This week's update courtesy of TOA.

• Sheppard has put on some weight and looks improved but it was hard to tell how much given the style of the session.

Not a lot to note, but continuing with the news of the past few weeks anyhow.

Shep update...

Noted by the AFL website as among our stand-outs in pre-season:

Who's flying: Brant Colledge, Murray Newman, Fraser McInnes, Adam Carter and Brad Sheppard have all been impressive on the track this pre-season.

The Age have gone so far to suggest Shep's adapted to the Simpson game plan the best out of all the players.

One to watch: Brad Sheppard has excelled in the first half of the pre-season: again. He is in terrific shape and appears to have best adopted the new program delivered by Simpson. The top-10 draft pick has had four seasons in the AFL, but played only 45 games. Could 2014 be the year that he steps up?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/it-may-be-christmas-but-the-footy-never-stops-20131222-2zt9k.html#ixzz2oIqYMTOd

That's it for the moment, looking forward to seeing Sheppard deliver some NAB and full-season highlights next year.

Merry Christmas.

This is Sheppard's 5th year on the list, it's time for him to get his s**t together and deliver. If another inconsistent year and of low disposal counts occurs I'd like to see Sheppard given a role as a back pocket, Butler style. Train him up and assign him the role of shutting down opposition quick small forwards. This will make the issue of his not being able to find much of the ball of little consequence, and it'll provide him a task that will make him of value if he does it well. Given that WC are in great need of a quality lock down small defender, given the meh options the team has at present, it's very much within Sheppard's capabilities to learn this role, make it his own and thus perhaps eliminate a position of weakness in the team. If he were to continue on his current trajectory his career peters out before it really got going. A change is needed, and this change in role could unexpectedly find his niche.

Last edited:
Agree, I just wonder if he's good enough defensively one-on-one. He will probably do better with a simple role assigned to him though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, I just wonder if he's good enough defensively one-on-one. He will probably do better with a simple role assigned to him though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to whether Sheppard's good enough one-on-one, no, he's currently not good enough. But he can be trained for the role and given experience in the WAFL in order to develop a defensive/shut down role. WC do have a team of professional coaches who can teach him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back