Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Not dropping someone into the hole to stop Cox marking, and not manning up Sidebottom lost it for us.

Luckily Cox has been worked out and now injured anyhow.

And the small issue of not putting Grimes on DeGoey - The big 3

What about 2 games in a month .. hope we learnt something because we have to do it again.

Yes, it was something to contend with, but still better than bashing out it each week. I'll suggest you give each coach the choice and they'll back in 2 games in four weeks, if you want to call it that, or, you could just as accurately call it 3 games in five weeks. Half full or half empty?

Well he did coach us to a premiership. Do you think he's kicking himself for not playing Brando in the last prelim .. will he have the guts to do it again ?

Hahaha I’d say of all the things dimma has done as coach, not playing Ellis in last years prelim would be at the bottom of his regret pile. Below recruiting relton Roberts even.

Everyone needs to calm down! I want to see how Ellis plays in this years prelim, I have no doubt we get through for this years Richmond vs Collingwood grand final(epic), but if he plays like last week I will shut up and accept omission. Anyway, he’s a premiership player, long servant of the club and has more better years than his one bad year, even the haters/doubters need to come out and say he’s been great this year in bad times and good, with a few down games. He’s yellow and black blood, he’s family’ think about it!

Moore is my favourite of the trio, but next year will be a make or break year for Moore, Menadue and Markov.
Insane to criticise Ellis.
Robinson is one of Brisbane's toughest players, arguably the toughest, and you claim one of the VFL level players could step up and be better than Ellis?

Insane to criticize Ellis? On what planet is that the case for anybody?

Did you watch his game last weekend? You didn’t find a single thing to criticize?

He played a stinker. He ended up with some decent stats thanks to us getting on top in the second half but when the game was on the line in the first half he was abysmal. If we take that into a prelim against West Coast or the cats then we are setting ourselves up for failure. If we play a whole game that is like that first half and we lose by a goal, and Ellis has lost every single one on one contest he’s involved in, had 1 or 2 CP (and that’s not hyperbole, he had 1 to halftime last week) and laid 0 tackles, will you still think it’s insane that we question his value to the team?

We have to assume that a prelim final is going to come down to the last few minutes, we can’t assume we’ll have a comfortable 6 goal win, and if that happens then we absolutely can’t afford to carry Ellis.

Everyone needs to calm down! I want to see how Ellis plays in this years prelim, I have no doubt we get through for this years Richmond vs Collingwood grand final(epic), but if he plays like last week I will shut up and accept omission. Anyway, he’s a premiership player, long servant of the club and has more better years than his one bad year, even the haters/doubters need to come out and say he’s been great this year in bad times and good, with a few down games. He’s yellow and black blood, he’s family’ think about it!

Based on this thread I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out he was your family.

We can’t afford to wait and see how he goes in this prelim, we’ve got the 7 finals he’s already played in to see that he doesn’t cut it in September. It wasn't his first bad final against Brisbane, there’s a whole body of work to look at. Why do you think so many of us said he was going to be (at the very best) a passenger this September? We didn’t fluke that prediction.

Ellis didn't even play in the preliminary final last year, I don't know what "track record" you are referring to.
I didn't once see Ellis avoid a contest against the Lions.
Complete BS for some to insinuate he does.
Played on Brisbane's toughest player.
If you don't think he held his own against Robinson we can agree to disagree.
That's fine.
To me, Ellis' selection is a non-issue because there is no one to substitute apart from Web-Kam, who seems to be out of favour
Markov, Menadue and Naish are nowhere remotely near Ellis' ability.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ellis didn't even play in the preliminary final last year, I don't know what "track record" you are referring to.
That's fine.
To me, Ellis' selection is a non-issue because there is no one to substitute apart from Web-Kam, who seems to be out of favour

Ok well then you're either lying or you didn't watch the game. It's even been pointed out in this thread the exact time he does some of them just in one quarter.

And his track record is his 7 finals appearances. But you're being completely dishonest about his performance so let's just leave it there. Even his staunchest defenders have acknowledged he had some very poor moments against Brisbane.

That's fine.

We, the majority agree to disagree.
Yes, it is fine
The biggest answer will be seen at the VFL this weekend - if no one stands up he's safe.
Ability and output are two different things right now for young Mr Ellis. It's less about his ability, more about what he brings any given game.

We, the majority agree to disagree.
Yes, it is fine
The biggest answer will be seen at the VFL this weekend - if no one stands up he's safe.
Ability and output are two different things right now for young Mr Ellis. It's less about his ability, more about what he brings any given game.

I’m wondering if our opposition will also have a bearing on selection. Do we bring in the big contested possession boys for Geelong and keep the runners for West Coast.?

That's fine.
Have you just jumped into this thread to antagonise, because if you haven't there has been any amount of posts referring to his finals record.
Go and watch the replay and at 7.55 in the third Q he deliberately side stepped Zorko who got to the contested ball first. There was no ambiguity about it, and I have not once bashed Ellis on any post in this thread in relation to him being 'a squid' as has been labelled.
What about his effort against Collingwood that even the commentators were on about. I can excuse the odd brain fade or lack of ticker, but to say it is BS is amazing.
Yes he played on one of Brisbane's toughest player... and how'd he go.
Do you think it an accident that Robinson went for him. Do you think the opposition will be gentle on him, no they will target him, which is tough but that is football. Will be very interesting to see how he responds, because if you think that the coaches dissecting the game, from all sides in the finals not just us, didn't make note of it, then you are on your own.

Last edited:
If someone has an "anti-Ellis" opinion that is fine, but base it upon facts.
To claim he has a poor finals record is wrong.
He was not selected for finals last year.
They selected Conca Cuddles.
Case closed, your honour.

100% this must be a troll.

I said the other guys who defend Ellis no matter what are the anti-vaxxers of the footy world, well now we have a flat-farther equivalent.

What and what?

Mainly to the Garth thing

fwiw Garthwaite has more km on average than Ellis - I dont have the afl app currently but from a quick bit of research, it had garthy averaging more k a game, at the time. Than the mighty running machine that is ellis.

The point being Ellis is good at running BUT there is more to football than that, and he isnt magical in that respect.

its his only good attribute too. kicking, goals kicking ability, tackling, defensive abilities, marking etc. etc. etc. is all sub par outside of fitness/stamina

Have you just jumped into this thread to antagonise, because if you haven't there has been any amount of posts referring to his finals record.
Go and watch the replay and at 7.55 in the third Q he deliberately side stepped Zorko who got to the contested ball first. There was no ambiguity about it, and I have not once bashed Ellis on any post in this thread in relation to him being 'a squid' as has been labelled.
What about his effort against Collingwood that even the commentators were on about. I can excuse the odd brain fade or lack of ticker, but to say it is BS is amazing.
Yes he played on one of Brisbane's toughest player... and how'd he go.
Do you think it an accident that Robinson went for him. Do you think the opposition will be gentle on him, no they will target him, which is tough but that is football. Will be very interesting to see how he responds, because if you think that the coaches dissecting the game, from all sides in the finals not just us, didn't make note of it, then you are on your own.

To reiterate .... here is the post of the year and the irrefutable truth as posted by Vril

I watched the game with a group of 15 odd people on Saturday night and the neutral supporters were taking the piss out of Ellis all night and laughing at how bad/soft he was. I just rewatched the third quarter and even when we got on top there were moments that made me cringe. Berry ragdolled him at 10:21 in a one-on-one marking contest in our forward fifty. He outmuscled Ellis and threw him to the ground which allowed him to take a mark. At 9:03 there was a weak attempted tackle by Ellis where Lyons literally shrugged him off while Ellis couldn’t even hold his feet. At 7:55 he makes another piss weak attempt at tackling Zorko and Zorko evades him with ease by brushing him aside. At 6:10 there was another piss weak effort where Ellis went to go the hip and shoulder and could’ve really lined a Brisbane player up but went half arsed and the Brisbane player retained the ball and generated an i50 which resulted in a shot on goal. At 2:22 he bangs the ball on his boot due to perceived pressure despite being 5 metres in clear space and turns it over. Zero awareness and composure. This was all in the third quarter where we ran rampant and he was still sh*tting himself. It must be disheartening playing with this bloke at times. I really hope he is dropped for someone who puts their body on the line. His running power is absolutely pointless when he just burns the ball or makes a pathetic contest. Some of his attempts at being physical were embarrassingly laughable. Benny Hill music couldn’t be more appropriate when watching Ellis’s third quarter highlights.

I know some won't go away and watch it as they are in denial, but seriously this is not a guy you want playing for your life on grand final day. Yeah we get away with it most weeks, but it will inevitably bring us undone. That moment at 7:55 is cringeworthy, the other moments nearly as bad.
But Ellis-lovers keep diving for those good stats.

To reiterate .... here is the post of the year and the irrefutable truth as posted by Vril

I watched the game with a group of 15 odd people on Saturday night and the neutral supporters were taking the piss out of Ellis all night and laughing at how bad/soft he was. I just rewatched the third quarter and even when we got on top there were moments that made me cringe. Berry ragdolled him at 10:21 in a one-on-one marking contest in our forward fifty. He outmuscled Ellis and threw him to the ground which allowed him to take a mark. At 9:03 there was a weak attempted tackle by Ellis where Lyons literally shrugged him off while Ellis couldn’t even hold his feet. At 7:55 he makes another piss weak attempt at tackling Zorko and Zorko evades him with ease by brushing him aside. At 6:10 there was another piss weak effort where Ellis went to go the hip and shoulder and could’ve really lined a Brisbane player up but went half arsed and the Brisbane player retained the ball and generated an i50 which resulted in a shot on goal. At 2:22 he bangs the ball on his boot due to perceived pressure despite being 5 metres in clear space and turns it over. Zero awareness and composure. This was all in the third quarter where we ran rampant and he was still sh*tting himself. It must be disheartening playing with this bloke at times. I really hope he is dropped for someone who puts their body on the line. His running power is absolutely pointless when he just burns the ball or makes a pathetic contest. Some of his attempts at being physical were embarrassingly laughable. Benny Hill music couldn’t be more appropriate when watching Ellis’s third quarter highlights.

I know some won't go away and watch it as they are in denial, but seriously this is not a guy you want playing for your life on grand final day. Yeah we get away with it most weeks, but it will inevitably bring us undone. That moment at 7:55 is cringeworthy, the other moments nearly as bad.
But Ellis-lovers keep diving for those good stats.

One literally swings from laughing / getting upset at Ellis playing football.

fwiw Garthwaite has more km on average than Ellis - I dont have the afl app currently but from a quick bit of research, it had garthy averaging more k a game, at the time. Than the mighty running machine that is ellis.

The point being Ellis is good at running BUT there is more to football than that, and he isnt magical in that respect.

its his only good attribute too. kicking, goals kicking ability, tackling, defensive abilities, marking etc. etc. etc. is all sub par outside of fitness/stamina
In the GWS game Garth did alot of running.
Ellis is a good runner
I’m a fat plonker who can do a couple of laps.
Ellis could probably do 800 inside two and 1/2 minutes I reckon and do it again after 10min, I’m pretty sure he’s done the tan inside 12.
Thats really good.
But your right it’s only one thing.
I posted his highlights from 2017,
It’s funny what they showed is about 40% of all the goals he’d kicked up till then and a couple of steps running the ball forward.
He doesn’t do it often.

Nope, you rated him ahead of Vlastuin, Prestia and others earlier this thread when i challenged you on a point - I will never take you and the other clown you were working in tandem with seriously again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back