Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I’ve personally not watched the game to make a comment but if he played well then good on him.

But if he’s just left in the team then by weight of numbers he’ll play the occasional good game, he has some talent that’s why he’s played 150+ games. Just like he MAY play a good final, but he’s had quite a few bites at the cherry so far and goes missing every time and in finals you can’t afford to have people who go missing and maybe play 1 ok final every 10.
Lol you idiots are you just clutching at straws now. We have had players before who went missing in finals but went on to become flag heroes. Things change. Give this guy a break geez

Well I’ve personally not watched the game to make a comment but if he played well then good on him.

But if he’s just left in the team then by weight of numbers he’ll play the occasional good game, he has some talent that’s why he’s played 150+ games. Just like he MAY play a good final, but he’s had quite a few bites at the cherry so far and goes missing every time and in finals you can’t afford to have people who go missing and maybe play 1 ok final every 10.
you appear disappointed he played well again. can't see why you would still try and have a nitpick.

If Ellis stays I would like to see him playing one wing and Naish/Turner on the other side, would give us a couple if handy link up types on either side of the ground providing a lot of run

Was good pretty much all game
Yep, I’ve been one to not expect too much or I’d gotten use to his consistency at playing careful footy.
But yesterday, like alot of em his efforts in his moments, that was the difference.
I dunno we could’ve done it without him.
I was really glad he was playing for us.

There was always only one or two 'haters' on this thread.

I thought he played well yesterday and of course due to this thread's flame fest I watched his game closely. There's still one or two things I would like him to work on (as I have said all along) but I don't expect perfection from any of our players. I didn't have him in my votes but he would have been about 8-10th best for me.

I've never considered myself a hater and I like to think I have been consistent in wanting him to work on his composure in defence and the 's' word. The other thing I have been consistent with, and which always gets missed in the argument is the AFL's magic compo pick rewards us handsomely and if we are being pragmatic, there are better prospects (IMHO) who we are going to have to spend cap space on and we can't pay everyone the going rate. For example, Stack is an exciting talent and tell me clubs with dud ruck stocks won't come sniffing for Soldo. My point is we constantly have to find room in the cap and if Brando walks with a better offer elsewhere we get a nice pick and nice cap space. This is not being a hater, this is being pragmatic.

He had a nice game and even the genuine haters couldn't drop him on yesterday's performance.

I thought he played well yesterday and of course due to this thread's flame fest I watched his game closely. There's still one or two things I would like him to work on (as I have said all along) but I don't expect perfection from any of our players. I didn't have him in my votes but he would have been about 8-10th best for me.

I've never considered myself a hater and I like to think I have been consistent in wanting him to work on his composure in defence and the 's' word. The other thing I have been consistent with, and which always gets missed in the argument is the AFL's magic compo pick rewards us handsomely and if we are being pragmatic, there are better prospects (IMHO) who we are going to have to spend cap space on and we can't pay everyone the going rate. For example, Stack is an exciting talent and tell me clubs with dud ruck stocks won't come sniffing for Soldo. My point is we constantly have to find room in the cap and if Brando walks with a better offer elsewhere we get a nice pick and nice cap space. This is not being a hater, this is being pragmatic.

He had a nice game and even the genuine haters couldn't drop him on yesterday's performance.
Prolly end up doing a Lids for us...

you appear disappointed he played well again. can't see why you would still try and have a nitpick.

Why on earth would I be disappointed in a Richmond player doing well? That makes no sense. I’m just stating a fact. If you roll a dice 100 times, you’re going to get every single number come up multiple times. It’s the same principle. You give a guy who’s (IMO) borderline afl/VFL, you give him 100 afl games and he’s probably going to play some blinders, some decent ones and then some average ones and some awful ones. I’d love nothing more than if Brando turned into Gaff or Whitfield etc. The problem isn’t his ability to play the occasional good game, the issue is his consistency but far far more important is his ability to play a good game in finals.

If he played as well as he did on the weekend in finals, then I’d be the first one to advocate for us signing him on a new deal. I think it’s great he put in a good performance in a tough game against a good opponent, but one game doesn’t make a whole career. Maybe it’s a turning point though, time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just corrected some things for you. Take off the rosy coloured glasses and look at it objectively.

You’d think he had a big game record like Dusty or Hodge or Bartel with your post.

It’s great that he played a great game yesterday, and hopefully that’s the standard he can take in to finals. But as it stands he’s never had an impact in a final so don’t rewrite history that he’s some kind of big game player.
No impact in finals? He gad a very solid Grand Final.

The Richmond website
Brandon Ellis 6
The rejuvenated Ellis has been an important cog for the Tigers in defence this season and he continued to provide run and carry on September's biggest day. Spent time on the dangerous Charlie Cameron, but got out in space on numerous occasions and hit up targets.

News .com
Brandon Ellis 6
Couple of big, bone-bruising tackles early set the tone and he regularly got on the outside of his teammates’ inside grunt work and drove the ball forward.

Foxfooty review
Brandon Ellis 7
Laid a bone crunching tackle in the first term, which lifted teammates, and played out the match with the toughness that’s come to underpin his game in 2017.

Sporting News
Brandon Ellis - 7
Solid game from the backman who provided a surge going forward in the first half.

SEN
Brandon ELLIS – 6
Quiet day in terms of possesions but did what was required when it was required;

The Age
20190818_003717.jpg

Last edited:
Lol you idiots are you just clutching at straws now. We have had players before who went missing in finals but went on to become flag heroes. Things change. Give this guy a break geez

Cheers for the personal insult it really strengthens your point.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

We could just keep playing the same players who haven’t performed and cross our fingers that it’ll suddenly change, or we can look for different players that will give us more.

Could say he went a large part in helping winning the game. His hardball get and direct assist to Jack who kicked the winning goal was pivotal.

[Why the "lol" from phar ace? If Jack didnt get that goal what do you think the possible outcome could have been? Instead of loling, why not reply to my post.]

Three players had game high of two assists, Jack, Bolton and Ellis, not bad concidering Ellis only had 2 possessions in the i50 ark, both assists.
77% disp in the back half.

Are you saying the 'hardball get' and 'assist to Jack' were in the same play? I laughed because it had to be you. I don't say that as bad thing necessarily, but, it just had to be you to try and pin the great win on Ellis's jumper somehow.

It was a regulation loose ball get from great pressure put on Nelson's kick. Ellis sitting were he was was a touch unusual, but unusually good, so he makes the loose ball pick up (it was tumbling a bit and in the wet so it was a good pick up under no pressure) and handballs it to Reiwoldt, again nothing fancy in it, did what he or any other teammate should have done and Jack did the special stuff and kicked the goal in the wet on the run from about 25......

He had a couple of touches after that, one good, one that put the ball back within reach of WC about 70 out that was a bit of a reckless attack on the ball, but in context, so late in the game, so wet, players so tired, and it never got past a teammate, all's well that ends well thank goodness.

KiwiTiger was correct about Ellis's much more meritorius moment late in the 2nd. Ellis did a lot of great things in the game and a lot of regulation things that are part and parcel of his role. It was a very good game - but a 'large part in helping winning the game' kind of game? Sorry, didn't see it that way, but I'm sure you could have................

Last edited:

This is my major beef at Brando being much maligned and harshly treated...Brando 8TH OR 10TH BEST is a fair and reasonable judgement, in fact very respectful and spot on.....however the role he is given by the MC dictates that its nearly impossible for Brando to be BOG or even in out top 3 or 4 of our most damaging on the day.

He sets it up for the playmakers if they are on....and it's often not noticed or in an blatantly obvious way. 2 way gut running/blocking exits 40 metres off the ball/manning up on dustys or dions man sneaking forward/overlap on the switch/make a dummy lead to open up some space/link up/prevent opposition linking up/run hard to create a 2 on 1/create space/spare man in defence/stay out wide and leave the corridor for basher or dusty or dion/don't get sucked into the play or heavy traffic as this area belongs to graham or ross or lambert or cotchy/be safe with the ball rather than extravagant.

Poor blokes is on a hiding to nothing if our forwards are slack or our engine room is down or he does the odd clanger or two.

Last edited:
No impact in finals? He gad a very solid Grand Final.

The Richmond website
Brandon Ellis 6
The rejuvenated Ellis has been an important cog for the Tigers in defence this season and he continued to provide run and carry on September's biggest day. Spent time on the dangerous Charlie Cameron, but got out in space on numerous occasions and hit up targets.

Foxfooty review
Brandon Ellis 7
Laid a bone crunching tackle in the first term, which lifted teammates, and played out the match with the toughness that’s come to underpin his game in 2017.

Sporting News
Brandon Ellis - 7
Solid game from the backman who provided a surge going forward in the first half.

SEN
Brandon ELLIS – 6
Quiet day in terms of possesions but did what was required when it was required;

The Age
View attachment 729905

The biggest impact you can point to is a bunch of 6 and 7 ratings? You realize 6 means average? Anything less than a 6 is bad.

For a guy who’s played as much footy as he has, he should be producing a lot more in finals.

Are you saying the 'hardball get' and 'assist to Jack' were in the same play? I laughed because it had to be you. I don't say that as bad thing necessarily, but, it just had to be you to try and pin the great win on Ellis's jumper somehow.

It was a regulation loose ball get from great pressure put on Nelson's kick. Ellis sitting were he was was a touch unusual, but unusually good, so he makes the loose ball pick up (it was tumbling a bit and in the wet so it was a good pick up under no pressure) and handballs it to Reiwoldt, again nothing fancy in it, did what he or any other teammate would have done and Jack did the special stuff and kicked the goal in the wet on the run from about 25......

He had a couple of touches after that, one good, one that put the ball back within reach of WC about 70 out that was a bit of a reckless attack on the ball, but in context, so late in the game, so wet, players so tired, and it never got past a teammate, all's well that ends well thank goodness.

KiwiTiger was correct about Ellis's much more meritorius moment late in the 2nd. Ellis did a lot of great things in the game and a lot of regulation things that are part and parcel of his role. It was a very good game - but a 'large part in helping winning the game' kind of game? Sorry, didn't see it that way, but I'm sure you could have................
HB get no doubt an exaggeration, but he only had two disposals inside the 50 ark and that was one if them. He was good enough and composed enough under immense pressure to get it to Jack for the winning goal. It was a pivotal moment in the game.

HB get no doubt an exaggeration, but he only had two disposals inside the 50 ark and that was one if them. He was good enough and composed enough under immense pressure to get it to Jack for the winning goal. It was a pivotal moment in the game.

Go and have another look at it again then is my suggestion. No pressure. Still he executed as he should have, that bit of glue between a great pressure act and the goal by Jack. The wet makes it all the more meritorious, because a fumble is so easy in the wet and game result probably becomes different as a result. So well done Brandon, job well done.

Go and have another look at it again then is my suggestion. No pressure. Still he executed as he should have, that bit of glue between a great pressure act and the goal by Jack. The wet makes it all the more meritorious, because a fumble is so easy in the wet and game result probably becomes different as a result. So well done Brandon, job well done.
No pressure. The game was frenetic, a few minutes left, 60k screaming, a goal down, two awesome repeat efforts by Rioli, great pressure and tackle by Lynch, all at a 100 miles an hour, so apparently Brando just slips in, takes an easy possession and casually gives it to Jack.

This is my major beef at Brando being much maligned and harshly treated...Brando 8TH OR 10TH BEST is a fair and reasonable judgement, in fact very respectful and spot on.....however the role he is given by the MC dictates that its nearly impossible for Brando to be BOG or even in out top 3 or 4 of our most damaging on the day.

He sets it up for the playmakers if they are on....and it's often not noticed or in an blatantly obvious way. 2 way gut running/blocking exits 40 metres off the ball/manning up on dustys or dions man sneaking forward/overlap on the switch/make a dummy lead to open up some space/link up/prevent opposition linking up/run hard to create a 2 on 1/create space/spare man in defence/stay out wide and leave the corridor for basher or dusty or dion/don't get sucked into the play or heavy traffic as this area belongs to graham or ross or lambert or cotchy/be safe with the ball rather than extravagant.

Poor blokes is on a hiding to nothing if our forwards are slack or our engine room is down or he does the odd clanger or two.

Just to help us, how about you give us a couple of run of time moments (eg Q4 - 11.26) that these events have actually taken place if you have a copy of the replay to pick them out. Be really interesting to spot them.

No pressure. The game was frenetic, a few minutes left, 60k screaming, a goal down, two awesome repeat efforts by Rioli, great pressure and tackle by Lynch, all at a 100 miles an hour, so apparently Brando just slips in, takes an easy possession and casually gives it to Jack.

Scores were level actually when Brando on his own picks up a loose ball and handballs to Jack. You used the word casually, I didn't, I acknowledged some of the pressure of a tumbling ball on a wet day, so let's not miss anything eh.

It was a regulation loose ball get from great pressure put on Nelson's kick. Ellis sitting were he was was a touch unusual, but unusually good, so he makes the loose ball pick up (it was tumbling a bit and in the wet so it was a good pick up under no pressure) and handballs it to Reiwoldt, again nothing fancy in it, did what he or any other teammate should have done and Jack did the special stuff and kicked the goal in the wet on the run from about 25......

Oh dear re-read the bolded bit...Brando fumbles the spinning ball even slightly......or picks a different option.....or hesitates for a split second as he sometime does....or his handball was a foot off in any direction and its NO GOAL, considering he was working in a phone box, a wet skewiff heavy ball, he is absolutely stuffed and with only 4 minutes left i would say his effort and execution was sublime and match winning.

Oh dear re-read the bolded bit...Brando fumbles the spinning ball even slightly......or picks a different option.....or hesitates for a split second as he sometime does....or his handball was a foot off in any direction and its NO GOAL, considering he was working in a phone box, a wet skewiff heavy ball, he is absolutely stuffed and with only 4 minutes left i would say his effort and execution was sublime and match winning.

Then there were 50 other equally or more sublime efforts that you need to look at as well using your own criteria. I haven't denigrated Ellis's play in that moment, it was sound and he did as he should have done. I think the effort on Nelson and Jack's kick were superior moments, and Ellis was the easier required link in that chain, that he acquitted well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back