Playing Career (up to end of 2011 season):

Essendon Football Club (2004 - )
  • 162 games, 103 goals
Representative Career:

Australia (2006)
  • 2 games
Height:182cm
Weight: 84kg

• Pick #13, 2003 National Draft, from Northern Knights (TAC Cup)
  • 2004 Rising Star nominee
  • 2012 Archer-Hird medal
Hopefully has a little more improvement in him

Re: 24. Brent Stanton

Stanton on his own two feet

Steve Butler | August 31, 2007

THE AFL's answer to Forrest Gump he may be, but Essendon midfielder Brent Stanton no longer wants his football life to be like a box of chocolates.

The running machine does not want critics to be surprised by the performance he puts in out on the park. Instead he is hell-bent on producing a consistency that will help to rank him alongside the best players in the competition.

Regularly running up to 17 kilometres a game, the 21-year-old has cast off his trademark shyness and now believes he has the tools and maturity to match it with any opponent. He is keen to put that
theory to the test against West Coast at Subiaco Oval tomorrow as part of the emotion-charged farewell to his coach Kevin Sheedy and star teammate James Hird.

Stanton has this year been considered by some to be the game's next Robert Harvey. While he is humbled by the comparison with St Kilda's marathon man, he is far from awed.

"They're big shoes to fit in," Stanton said. "But it's a dream of mine to not just be one of the average footballers in the AFL, but one of the best players. He (Harvey) has obviously done that with two Brownlows and grand finals and whatever.

"He's one I based my game around as a kid and he's such an amazing player. For me to maybe be compared to him somewhere later down the track, that's a fantastic opportunity.

"But it's not just going to happen — I have to make it happen. West Coast are the best midfield in the comp and just to be able to come up against them and challenge myself, which I'm always happy to do, is an important thing for me to see where I'm at."

A little-known fact about the boy from Banyule, 21 kilometres north-east of central Melbourne, is that he played off a golf handicap of just three when he was 16 and still plans to become a golf coach when his football career has ended.

But with early tuition from former Bombers star Joe Misiti and current teammate Jason Johnson, and after matching strides with Mark Bolton earlier in the pre-season, running has emerged as his clear asset.

Stanton regularly competed at State level in cross-country in his student days and, like Hollywood's Forrest Gump, just loves to run.
"I've always just enjoyed running and it took my mind off other things — if anything was ever bothering me growing up, I'd go for a run," he said.

"If I was bored at home, I'd just go for a run. I never sat still at school or outside of school, I was always kicking the footy or mucking around with mates and I did a bit of high jump, as well.

"I always tried to keep myself busy and I'd never get a lift anywhere — I'd just walk instead. I don't know whether that's helped me now, but it seems to have so I'm not complaining."

Most footy fans see Stanton as a quiet kid who simply goes about his business. But he captained many of his junior teams and said he had slowly developed to the point where he now had eyes on one day captaining Essendon.

"I do want to captain the football side, there's no doubt about that — that's one of my aspirations," he said.
"But obviously I'm still a long way off that with Lloydy and a few other guys coming through. I'm just learning as much as possible in the way they go about their leadership skills and, hopefully, it helps me later on.

"I felt like I just had to find my feet in the first year and concentrate on my footy rather than make a personality of myself. That was my aim and once my footy started to come along, I got more confident.

"But if you ask any of my mates from school, they wouldn't say I was quiet. In an environment where people have made a mark for themselves, you don't want to come in and intrude on that and that was my main focus coming into an AFL club.

"My body's got a lot stronger in the last couple of years and I'm feeling more confident. When we've had everyone in the side, it's evened things out and you can come into your own."

Stanton was drafted with Essendon's first pick (No. 13 overall) in 2003 and now, with 75 AFL games now behind him, he looks back at the fortunate timing that will low him to be part of Hird's emotional final game.
"I've come through in the right era and I'm just honoured to have been able play with him — it's just amazing," he said.

"Obviously he's a good leader and he brings the best out of you as a person and a footballer and that's what I feel the Essendon Football Club is all about."

Stanton is an absolute champion, should make all australian next year, very important to the club. With winda, lovet, watson and others should be our most important player next year and years to come.

It seems I am the odd person out but I don't rate him that highly as others

I think he will be a good player for essendon in the coming years but his not a star. His kicking is below average, I don't think he goes in hard enough and his too hungry when he gets close to goals. I think Winder and Watson will be better midfielders for us

I was a big fan of stants but i have been watching an analyzing games since our season has ended and he really is a liability on the defensive end. He is just about the most unaccountable player going round and needs to fix that up before he enters the elite catagory. I hope work of summer is put into that aspect, and he continues to develop his skills by foot.

His kicking was ok until he injured his ankle. After that he lost any penertration he had and his kicking went backwards.
I agree with King James , he needs to find a defensive side.

It seems I am the odd person out but I don't rate him that highly as others

I think he will be a good player for essendon in the coming years but his not a star. His kicking is below average, I don't think he goes in hard enough and his too hungry when he gets close to goals. I think Winder and Watson will be better midfielders for us

Your not alone. Is the worst kick in the AFL. His kicking has not improved in 4 years, still drops the ball with no guideance from hand to foot.

I would trade him if the right deal is presented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hope next year he doesn't look for as many cheap kicks. e.g. running behind a player in our defensive 50 for the easy handball.

we need him on the wings penetrating our forward line

Is the worst kick in the AFL.

Exaggeration much? Ant is right, before his injury his kicking was actually very good, dunno what happened to it afterwards but he didn't seem to get it back. Had some great passes into the forward line in the last half of the year still which shows he has the ability but was far too inconsistent in the second half. But worst kick in the AFL? Not likely.

Yes needs to be more defensively accountable.

Exaggeration much? Ant is right, before his injury his kicking was actually very good, dunno what happened to it afterwards but he didn't seem to get it back. Had some great passes into the forward line in the last half of the year still which shows he has the ability but was far too inconsistent in the second half. But worst kick in the AFL? Not likely.

Yes needs to be more defensively accountable.

No. I'll say it again, the worst kick in the AFL. Before he did his ankle his kicking was bad.

His turnovers by foot, kill us every game. :mad:

was watchin essendon vs collingwood rnd 19 i think it was last yr wen we beat them...and stanton was bloody good...his ankle injury really stuffed up his year this year...because the way he would run and run last year was awsome...he'd get the ball on the half back line kick it to someone 70m out from goal then 10 secs later he would recieve the kick back 40m out from goal.
Next year injury free he will take another step and hopfully become the elite midfielder of Essendon.

He's the closest of anyone in our team to winning one. He polls very well.

We essendon supporters are an ambitious bunch. Stanton and brownlow really should not be said together. He can't kick. The other aspects of his game are ok but not great. The only thing he excels at is the ability to run all day

Brent Stanton

While most of BF are wetting themselves over Adcock, Stants has been giving that output for at least two years now and is ONLY 21. Easily the most underrated young Essendon player regarding opposition supporters.

Some people go as far to label him a dud or just an "honest" player. Even some Essendon supporters don't give him enough credit (you know who you are).

IMO he was a shoe-in for the B&F before his ankle injury and I'm putting some $$$ on him for my Brownlow smokey in '08 - Gun :thumbsu:

Re: Brent Stanton

While most of BF are wetting themselves over Adcock, Stants has been giving that output for at least two years now and is ONLY 21. Easily the most underrated young Essendon player regarding opposition supporters.

Some people go as far to label him a dud or just an "honest" player. Even some Essendon supporters don't give him enough credit (you know who you are).

IMO he was a shoe-in for the B&F before his ankle injury and I'm putting some $$$ on him for my Brownlow smokey in '08 - Gun :thumbsu:

I'm one of those supporters that thinks he's simply honest. He makes little difference to the side whether he's in it or not IMO.

Re: Brent Stanton

Thats fair enough...Hopefully you will be eating your words next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back