Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't bad but James Kelly just has a bit more impact
That's pretty much it. He was playing the Kelly role and while I didn't think he was terrible, Kelly is quite simply much better at doing the same thing and a much harder bastard to boot.

I have the utmost admiration for Stants and what he has done for us, but I don't really want him playing seniors anymore unless we have no other choice.

Yeah don't think he is suited to any role on the hbf, although I remember a pre-season game where he dominated from there. May be a case of being out of the seniors too long it would take him a few games to get his groove back. Think i'd rather see him play on the wing/mid kind of in the zaharakis role if anything, but unless he is bashing the door down in the 2's, don't see him playing much.

I'm on the bandwagon that he is finished, it's unfortunate. But there is younger players with the ability to provide the same output who are only going to develop further. Getting games in to Langford, Laverde, Redman, Mutch etc. Is far more important then getting this veteran to 300 games.

If we aren't going to make the finals, I expect a farewell game at the end of the season.

I'm on the bandwagon that he is finished, it's unfortunate. But there is younger players with the ability to provide the same output who are only going to develop further. Getting games in to Langford, Laverde, Redman, Mutch etc. Is far more important then getting this veteran to 300 games.

If we aren't going to make the finals, I expect a farewell game at the end of the season.
He's on 255 games, he wouldn't make 300 for a couple more seasons yet. He'll retire at the end of this year I think, but I'm not opposed to him playing a few more games this year if and when needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemed relatively content to cruise along and let other younger guys pick up the slack up until today, that wasn't necessarily a statement because I think he knows his time has come but he seriously flicked the switch today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back