Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

at the end of the day, people say you dont have to be a footy head to succeed at the highest level, and you can have other interests outside of the game but player by player, those guys end up falling by the wayside - and its the footy heads who are so bloodyminded about preparation and the game that go on to succeed long term

perhaps its true, you need to give 100% to this game for it to give you back a meaningful career

at the end of the day, people say you dont have to be a footy head to succeed at the highest level, and you can have other interests outside of the game but player by player, those guys end up falling by the wayside - and its the footy heads who are so bloodyminded about preparation and the game that go on to succeed long term

perhaps its true, you need to give 100% to this game for it to give you back a meaningful career
Case in point- merrett v daniher
We held the right free agent.

Nup. Same with Saad and any other ex-Essendon player. Couldn't care less.

Find myself feeling the same in fact I'd gone from enjoying watching Lions play last year to barely watching a second of them, couldn't even tell you how Joe has been playing lately.

Find myself feeling the same in fact I'd gone from enjoying watching Lions play last year to barely watching a second of them, couldn't even tell you how Joe has been playing lately.
So Joe has had an impact on you watching/not watching?

So Joe has had an impact on you watching/not watching?

Maybe my apathy towards how he has gone has changed my viewing habits of the lions? Possibly.

I have also watched a lot less other teams this year due to my frustrations with the game so it may not be isolated. I find myself more excited about upcoming meaningless NFL preseason games than this week's AFL games for example.

Maybe my apathy towards how he has gone has changed my viewing habits of the lions? Possibly.

I have also watched a lot less other teams this year due to my frustrations with the game so it may not be isolated. I find myself more excited about upcoming meaningless NFL preseason games than this week's AFL games for example.
Fair enough. Get onto the BF NFL board mate during the season. Plenty of knowledgeable fans and all happy (sort of) to help explain/discuss all NFL

Fair enough. Get onto the BF NFL board mate during the season. Plenty of knowledgeable fans and all happy (sort of) to help explain/discuss all NFL

Yeah I've been lurking and reading up.
Might post more during the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe up to his old tricks again

'I went around his back': Joe's sneaky new deal surprises coach​

Joe Daniher will be at Brisbane until at least the end of 2025 after agreeing to new terms

Joe Daniher will be at Brisbane until at least the end of 2025 after agreeing to new terms
I think his original offer was over 5 years wasn't it, then they rearranged it so it was most of the money in 3 years with a low games trigger for the other two, which got the band 1 compensation?

Now they restructure it and put the 2 years back into the main deal as it was originally intended, which technically 'extends' the contract which should I suppose mean they don't get caught by the Buddy clause of having to pay the original structure of the free agency deal he went there on. Hence Fages not needing to sign it off as it was probably agreed to in principle over a year ago.

I think his original offer was over 5 years wasn't it, then they rearranged it so it was most of the money in 3 years with a low games trigger for the other two, which got the band 1 compensation?

Now they restructure it and put the 2 years back into the main deal as it was originally intended, which technically 'extends' the contract which should I suppose mean they don't get caught by the Buddy clause of having to pay the original structure of the free agency deal he went there on. Hence Fages not needing to sign it off as it was probably agreed to in principle over a year ago.
We signed Daniher on a 3 year deal only. First two years guaranteed, third year if triggers met, at reportedly $850k per.

We can’t change the first three years of his original contract, as per the Buddy situation.

So he’s extended, with the first 3 years staying the same.

I just wish the media would stop using headlines like "Former Bomber" signs new contract clearly more click baity than Lion forward extends deal.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back