Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Let's just model his kicking action on Tony Lockett's and be done with it. Slow deliberate approach, hold ball straight over kicking leg, kicking stride still with everything in a straight line, keep low over the ball to reduce ball drop, kick through ball, goal.

So simple. Man, the club should hire me.

Why on earth would we stop one of the best forwards in the modern era giving advice to an up and coming forward?

Personal ego's is what ****s up football clubs. Was it Egan? Hird? or a collective bunch?

Whose personal ego ? - Sounds like it was Lloyd's personal ego at play.

That is the official line. The fact the club told him his role was only goal kicking and not giving advice on how to play did not go down too well.
that's pretty interesting, hadn't heard it before. Lloyd seemed pretty genuine on one of his shoes when he said he felt too much time was spent discussing his role and camera shots of Lloyd when daniher was taking a shot were embarrassing. Maybe it was a combination. I also don't think Lloyd's ego could take the hit.

The basic craft, positioning, timing leads to draw the ball, techniques for beating different types of defenders, etc, has not changed and probably won't ever change.

I'd like to think that both would be smart enough to update and outdated advice.
I think positioning has. These days defenders up the ground play more boundary side to trick the other team into riskier play. Used to be the attacking side that wanted the ball in the corridor. These days defensive zones are set up to try to sling shot a turnover and forwards are encouraged to lead to more defensive positions.

Speaking of Lloydy..watching replay last night and that speccy in the last qrt brought the fans to their feet. The crowd after that mark went nuts. It was great to see.

That forward running leap over a defender reminds me of the early Lloyd days and how he attacked the incoming ball in a pack.

We've waiting a hell of a long time for a genuine tall FF since Lloydy and I can't wait to see Joe explode in the next 5 years.

Good times ahead.

I'm still bemused by the idea that Daniher is "not a full forward".

He can take pack marks, screamers and no one can get near his outstretched hands on the lead.

If he was converting he would already be one of the elite forwards in the competition.
If...? Coulda shoulda woulda? Will he ever be an ELITEkick? Unlikely.
Will he ever be an ELITE mark. YES.
To be an ELITE forward you need to do both reasonably well eg the legend Lloydy

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pls explain how so?
His conversion rate is shizen. Not AFL standard, barely 50%

Going by AFL stats he has the worst goal conversion in the league when he lines up at goal I pretty much mark it down as a miss.

Imo instead of running in a straight line he should be allowed to come in on an arc just like Buddy when he lines ups for goal.

Last edited:
If...? Coulda shoulda woulda? Will he ever be an ELITEkick? Unlikely.
Will he ever be an ELITE mark. YES.
To be an ELITE forward you need to do both reasonably well eg the legend Lloydy

I'd class him as an elite kick for position, just not when he's having a set shot

Let's just model his kicking action on Tony Lockett's and be done with it. Slow deliberate approach, hold ball straight over kicking leg, kicking stride still with everything in a straight line, keep low over the ball to reduce ball drop, kick through ball, goal.

So simple. Man, the club should hire me.

He may not be able to race greyhounds much longer so he might be keen.

Yes, he had a quiet game, but one of the biggest positives for me was the fact that he was still able to contribute positively in the game shows how far he's come. As little as 3 months ago, if he had a bad game he wouldn't have kicked a goal. Very good signs.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back