AFL Player # 6: Jye Caldwell - Such an attacking weapon

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it was Callan Ward who spoke extremely highly of Caldwell as a future champion (or words to that effect) based on what he had seen at GWS.

There are times he hits the ball at speed and uses it well and you can see that's probably what Ward was on about.

I find Caldwell to be quite difficult to read. Is he quick? He's definitely not slow, he seems to have a decent burst of pace even if it's not great top line speed, though endurance may still be a bit of an issue. Does he fill out as a nuggety, powerful player with almost Jason Johnson dimensions? I think he might. He's okay in defensive roles around the ball but what is he like as a ball playing mid? It's hard to say as he rarely gets that freedom.

I suspect he has always been a generalist, something like a poor man's Joel Selwood. Had anyone actually seen him consistently play footy at the junior level I suspect he would have been a non-descript second round pick, kind of like the player who ends up at Sydney and does really well. But a few of those bursts from a pack as an under-age player would have left a lasting impression.

The next 50 games will be interesting. He starts next season a 6th year player with 2 full seasons under his belt and 55 games. We won't really see it coming and then all of the sudden he'll grow from boy to man and will be a serious player.

Do I believe we wanted him because he is a generalist and not because of the impressions of those explosive bursts? Not for a second.
Phil Davis not Cal Ward but yes, GWS captain

So confident that Caldwell and Hobbs are going to form the heart of a gun mid unit. And Bryan coming on like he is bodes so well. Huge game from Caldwell tonight.

Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas, Merrett, Parish with Perkins and Stringer rolling through doesn't want for much. Fitting them all into the side and giving the right minutes to the right players is the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas, Merrett, Parish with Perkins and Stringer rolling through doesn't want for much. Fitting them all into the side and giving the right minutes to the right players is the issue.
At the moment I'd happily trade Stringer and move on. Perkins needs to find more of the ball at VFL level. Goes missing too much. When Tsatas and Setterfield are ready, Perkins should be under pressure.

At the moment I'd happily trade Stringer and move on. Perkins needs to find more of the ball at VFL level. Goes missing too much. When Tsatas and Setterfield are ready, Perkins should be under pressure.

Perkins needs to play up forward, he's not a mid.

Caldwell was immense for most of today, when he has the tank to play all 4 quarters at a high level the sky is the limit.

Thought he copped an elbow to the head from Franklin in the first? It was at the edge of the screen and happened quick. Anyhow went on to finish the quarter with 13 possies and a nice goal.

It’s been a long season for calders, Martin, Perk, Hobbsy and Durham. Average amount of preseasons these guys have completed: 2.

They’re running out of steam after doing heavy lifting with the injuries to the likes of setters, Shiel and for some part Parish. We need to keep building the aerobic ability and depth of our midfield if we are to match it with the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back